Josh Reynolds admits he’s played dumb football, vows to smarten up

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
CANTERBURY five-eighth Josh Reynolds admits he’s been a “dumb footballer”, and now needs to smarten up in the absence of cool halfback Trent Hodkinson.

Three suspensions and separate arm and knee injuries have limited the 26-year-old to just 15 games this NRL season.

And after his on-field antics cost him his beloved NSW Origin jumper earlier in the year, Reynolds feared his inability to stay on the park might also have lost him a spot in this week’s qualifying final against St George-Illawarra.

“For me, if Trent was still fit, him and Moses (Mbye) would definitely be the halves,” Reynolds said on Tuesday.

“And whether I was going to come off the bench, or even be in the side, was the question.” Reynolds played his first match in five weeks against the Warriors, having been sidelined by a knee problem suffered against Cronulla in round 20.

The former Blues pivot had also taken a two-game ban for making dangerous contact to the Sharks’ Valentine Holmes in the same match.

Previous to that, coach Des Hasler had alternated between Reynolds, Hodkinson and young gun Moses Mbye as he searched for a winning combination in the halves.

But with Hodkinson now gone, Reynolds said the onus was on him to make the necessary changes to his game and provide the composure the incumbent NSW halfback had given to the team.
“He’s usually the one that’s been the calming influence on the team,” Reynolds said.

“I think it’s time for me to step up and take that role because Moses, he’s such a great player with his running game and playing off the cuff.” “Whereas me now, I have to step up and realise that on fourth tackle, instead of myself taking the line on, it’s setting up for the kick or just having that little smart option.” Reynolds, who was the starting five-eighth that led the Bulldogs to the grand final last year, conceded it was going to be a struggle to tone down his natural aggression during matches. “I’m not going to lie, in the past I have been a dumb footballer,” he said.

“I just want to really make sure that I don’t keep making the same mistakes.

“I just wish I’d come to this a bit earlier, realising that being a half in this team is more important that doing the things that a front-rower should do.”

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
“I just wish I’d come to this a bit earlier, realising that being a half in this team is more important that doing the things that a front-rower should do.”

And the exact opposite can be said for our front rowers.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes obviously been reading marleys posts , if he gets man of the match this week please take full credit Marley

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Josh Reynolds has promised lots of things this year
I'm still waiting for him to deliver
Talk is cheap
It's finals time now
No more excuses it's now or never to deliver josh

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he eased back into the side pretty well last wk, didn't over play his hand or try too hard and he's kicking was not the best but ok. I think he will only get better, he seems to be switched on this time around

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought he was good last week. Put in some decent kicks as well as set up that try.

I would love to see josh and mbye get total control but I still see that shit formation (where Josh runs off Graham).

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spot bcmf, the halves need to control things not Graham. I love Graham but this year his becoming a Paul gallen, just getting in the way late in the set and dying with the ball

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Josh has plenty big match experience and can cover Hod. Cook can cover Lichaa (and maybe Ennis for that matter). We shouldnt be weaker for losing Hod. Doesnt mean Hod is bad though, far from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing about reynolds is that he always performs in finals I don't think he's had a bad finals game always gave 100% even in last years gf even with a dislocated shoulder and hodko not being able to kick he still gave 100%.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
“I think it’s time for me to step up and take that role because Moses, he’s such a great player with his running game and playing off the cuff.” “Whereas me now, I have to step up and realise that on fourth tackle, instead of myself taking the line on, it’s setting up for the kick or just having that little smart option.”
You've talked the talk Josh. lets see if you can walk the walk.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stfu and play I'm sick of this talk

Status
Not open for further replies.