Josh Morris - What could have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
By the end of this year Josh Morris will have racked up 216 games for the Bulldogs.

At present he is our 9th (will move to 8th before end of year) capped player for the club (Tolman 17th Eastwood 19th).

Had he continued on for another season with the Dogs, if fit he could have hit 241 games for us by end of next season, which would have made him our 4th capped player (behind El Masri, Lamb, and Folkes).

Interesting by comparison Chris Anderson sits at 32nd with 133 games for the Dogs.

Also interesting is Josh Morris is our 3rd highest all time try scorer (El Masri and Lamb in front of him), with who else but Chris Anderson in 4th.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's criminal that Morris, Tolman and Eastwood are that high on that list. None of them will ever be considered greats of the club or stalwarts that will be forever cherished by the supporters.

But with so many extra games per season now and players playing way later into their thirties than in decades past, many records across the board will be broken by players who may not be worthy of the milestones they reach.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It is quite sad really.
No disrespect to Josh, but aside from his experience and mostly reliable defence, what does he have to offer now anyway? He's lost most of his speed and footwork, seems to have lost that power and strength he onced possessed, struggles to break the line and if he does get crisp ball in open space he's mowed down within seconds. I would have liked him to stay one more year but the sharks can have him. He may have scored a lot of tries in our colours (and butchered a few by refusing to pass to his winger)
Once upon a time he was my favourite player, but club legend he is not

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's criminal that Morris, Tolman and Eastwood are that high on that list. None of them will ever be considered greats of the club or stalwarts that will be forever cherished by the supporters.

But with so many extra games per season now and players playing way later into their thirties than in decades past, many records across the board will be broken by players who may not be worthy of the milestones they reach.
I don't think its criminal that a guy who has played 10 seasons with us whilst representing his state and country many times is high on the list.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Morris is a good guy and all, but you can’t keep broken down, old players, just because they’ve been around a while.
Especially in our situation.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
J Moz was express pace and his game was based on that from 2009 to 2013 before the injuries took away his biggest asset (acceleration)

Good club stalwart nonetheless

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Strong big fast player..But to be honest the worst hands I've ever seen in a center

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think its criminal that a guy who has played 10 seasons with us whilst representing his state and country many times is high on the list.
Criminal wasn't the right term, you're right there. My point was that even though he's been with us a while, he never was and never will be considered a true Bulldog when we look back at his career despite the fact he played the most games with us.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Strong big fast player..But to be honest the worst hands I've ever seen in a center
If he had better hands he would have scored double the tries and been more confident running those lines. Good on him for getting on that list, at the end of the day his a Morris and they hold quiet a record in this sport.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Got a favorable draw that finals series. Manly and Storm we pretty much always beat with Des ball.
Beating the Storm in Melbourne in an elimination v the big 3 is favourable? Lol

If Ennis doesn’t get injured we go close to winning the GF

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

They finished 6th and we had beat them already in Melbourne previously that year and also beat them 40-12 in round 4 (they didnt have smith in that match though). We never lost to Melbourne until 2017.

I agree with Ennis, I think we'd of had a decent crack at souths had he not got injured.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the end of this year Josh Morris will have racked up 216 games for the Bulldogs.

At present he is our 9th (will move to 8th before end of year) capped player for the club (Tolman 17th Eastwood 19th).

Had he continued on for another season with the Dogs, if fit he could have hit 241 games for us by end of next season, which would have made him our 4th capped player (behind El Masri, Lamb, and Folkes).

Interesting by comparison Chris Anderson sits at 32nd with 133 games for the Dogs.

Also interesting is Josh Morris is our 3rd highest all time try scorer (El Masri and Lamb in front of him), with who else but Chris Anderson in 4th.
Im pretty sure Chris Anderson played over 230 first grade games for the club

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Josh Morris' best years are long ago. The club has got itself into problems by being loyal to players and letting them retire on their own terms. We should have had a plan in place to replace Josh with that player ready to go next year.

Between Dugan and Morris the sharks ISP centres will get plenty of game time next year.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I agree, I’ve always said, if we had Kasiano and Ennis available for the 2014 GF we could of won it.

We also had Hodko playing on one leg, Reynolds injured his shoulder in the first tackle he made and Lafai was carrying an injury. We were gone even before kickoff. It was a great effort to be at 6-6 with 25 mins to go.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Josh Morris' best years are long ago. The club has got itself into problems by being loyal to players and letting them retire on their own terms. We should have had a plan in place to replace Josh with that player ready to go next year.

Between Dugan and Morris the sharks ISP centres will get plenty of game time next year.
Its sad looking at how quick he used to be.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Josh Morris has been awesome at our club .. He up their as one of the best centres weve had & probably our best centre in the NRL era when you factor in his long service..

Very sad to see him go our backline looks stronger with Morris there

Status
Not open for further replies.