Josh Jackson

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who do we have that can play lock like Murray/Yeo/Victor? Anyone we have who is ready to go? No one?

JJ needs to go, but we need someone who has overall better game to replace him, and we don't have the right now. TPJ might be a possibility as a wrecking ball style lock, but at the moment he is providing too much value alternating between prop and edge forward. Until we get a prop or edge forward who can do the work that JJ does and free up TPJ to play lock OR we get a proper ball playing lock, what can we do?

Curious to know solutions based on reality. This thread has been great at pointing out the problem, but no one is providing any realistic solutions. And anyone who says we should offer the leagues club to Yeo should be permabanned.
An Idea worth a shot based on no other suitable players to play the ball playing Lock roll that Baz wants to persist with.

And yeah, I know you will all hate it - but I see logic in it.

JMK could be at least the short term solution at 13 as I cant find any other solution.

We know that he is a manufactured 9 & previously a half and does posses speed.

This means that as a half he would always receive the ball from the dummy half & deliver a pass whilst upright & on the front foot & running to the line.
His biggest criticism currently is his passing service from dummy half, picking it up from the ground & delivering it to the runners - It's not crisp enough but is also different to being a first receiver & passing it.

He stands at 6ft 1inch which is taller that Victor Radley, Cam Murray & Brandon Smith - 3 of the games leading lock forwards. He is just lighter in weight.

Defencively he does not miss many tackles & is already defending in the middle of the ground.

With nothing else working either at 9 or lock, it is worth at least a shot IMO - even if he starts as a 14 & replaces Jackson after 25 minutes.

Or maybe start him at 9, then hook Jackson after 20 odd min bringing on Cook at 9 then JMK goes to 13.

Only other issue is, who else can play long minutes & deliver a decent game for us at 9???

As I said, this is only my opinion based on what we currently have available in our squad & a possible solution to the problem at hand Psycho Doggie.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An Idea worth a shot based on no other suitable players to play the ball playing Lock roll that Baz wants to persist with.

JMK could be at least the short term solution at 13 as I cant find any other solution.

This means that as a half he would always receive the ball from the dummy half & deliver a pass whilst upright & on the front foot & running to the line.
His biggest criticism currently is his passing service from dummy half, picking it up from the ground & delivering it to the runners - It's not crisp enough but is also different to being a first receiver & passing it.

He stands at 6ft 1inch which is taller that Victor Radley, Cam Murray & Brandon Smith - 3 of the games leading lock forwards. He is just lighter in weight.

Defencively he does not miss many tackles & is already defending in the middle of the ground.

With nothing else working either at 9 or lock, it is worth at least a shot IMO - even if he starts as a 14 & replaces Jackson after 25 minutes.

Or maybe start him at 9, then hook Jackson after 20 odd min bringing on Cook at 9 then JMK goes to 13.

Only other issue is, who else can play long minutes & deliver a decent game for us at 9???

As I said, this is only my opinion based on what we currently have available in our squad & a possible solution to the problem at hand Psycho Doggie.
flanagan needs to play both sides of the ruck

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Simpler solution is for Tbaz to earn his money and formulate an attacking structure that suits the strengths of the players he has in this squad rather than the strengths of a another teams roster.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simpler solution is for Tbaz to earn his money and formulate an attacking structure that suits the strengths of the players he has in this squad rather than the strengths of a another teams roster.
Yeah it’s a bit like that ain’t it. He has really let down the side and certain individuals by not playing more to our capabilities and rather to the style that he wants us to play. I personally think he needs to be launched because of this and the fact that he has shown he has not been able to extract consistent 80 minute performances whereby the team plays a suitable game plan with cohesion and completeness in all aspects of the game.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah it’s a bit like that ain’t it. He has really let down the side and certain individuals by not playing more to our capabilities and rather to the style that he wants us to play. I personally think he needs to be launched because of this and the fact that he has shown he has not been able to extract consistent 80 minute performances whereby the team plays a suitable game plan with cohesion and completeness to all aspects of the game.
I haven’t seen one bit of innovation from him in his coaching. Maybe getting fed the bullshit about being an “attacking coach” gave me to big of an expectation? If there’s no improvement and gets the sack from the Dogs you’d have to think that his career in the NRL done either as a head coach or and assistant and he’s only going to have himself to blame.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven’t seen one bit of innovation from him in his coaching. Maybe getting fed the bullshit about being an “attacking coach” gave me to big of an expectation? If there’s no improvement and gets the sack from the Dogs you’d have to think that his career in the NRL done either as a head coach or and assistant and he’s only going to have himself to blame.
Our attack hasn’t improved at all, but worse still, our defence has definitely gone worse under Baz.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

An advantage of this idea is that if JMK does pretty well then it becomes an option for 2023.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An advantage of this idea is that if JMK does pretty well then it becomes an option for 2023.
It's worth a try.
My concern is one I made earlier with the player in this role - need to think on your feet and know WHEN and WHO to pass to - or not pass at all.
JMK doesn't possess those smarts. He is robotic and premeditated.
Burton is the only thinker with the size and defensive capabilities to pull it off successfully.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TPJ did the right thing. Naden should have been there. They train for these scenarios.
Like Gus said there was someone there yesterday during training. :grinning:

Last edited:

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It will never ever happen. Just like Hopoate and Tolman survived until their contracts were done, Jackson will screw us over until his time is up

This club doesn't have the balls to drop under performing older players. We're too fucking soft for that

We need to be ruthless like the Rorters. If JJ was at the Chooks he would have been dumped years ago
It’s not Jackson’s fault the coach is using him in a role that he has no skill to play. The coach needs to wake up and the hooker needs to cut JJ out and pass to someone else but he’s fucking useless as well

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Defensively Jackson is still good - he is poor in the attacking role he is being asked to play - he is also playing too many minutes

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s not Jackson’s fault the coach is using him in a role that he has no skill to play. The coach needs to wake up and the hooker needs to cut JJ out and pass to someone else but he’s fucking useless as well
Agree. I've been giving it to Baz, JMK and JJ for weeks but since this is a JJ thread, I focused my whingeing on JJ
They are the 3 biggest problems at the club. One of them has been sorted out for next year....2 more to go

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Two moments that summed up our attack.

1. Jackson receives the ball as a link man, throws the pass forward and at the ground

2. Pangai receives the ball 20m out on the blind side and throws a pass into touch.
Cant blame TPJ for that one though. Where the fuck was Naden?? He had no reason to be anywhere else!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree, but isn’t this TBs fault?

Jackson should have 3 instructions:

1.Run hard
2.Tackle hard
3.Get the F out of the way when we’re trying to send the ball wide

Problem is, TB has him as a link player when he’s not skilled enough and his lack thereof size doesn’t draw enough players either.
Majority of locks are played as link players. Josh just isn't a lock. He is no longer a second rower either. He either needs to be a part of the prop rotation, or NSW cup.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Barrett is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with JJ. Why? Because he's too dumb to look outside from the "Penrith attack plan" and have JJ playing a more simpler role which will help the team as a whole.
he could just drop josh Jackson.
I would give Jackson topine a shot at 13 if he can pass.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haven’t read thru all the comments on this topic, but one thing that stood out for me was in the after game press conference, the question was asked to Jackson “We’re you warned of repeated infringements”? Jackson replied “Yes”

Now, as a f{}cking captain, wouldn’t you pull your players aside for a sec and say, listen you f{}cks, Souths have the advantage with f{}ckwit Sutton in a mood to f{}ck us over…NO MORE STUPID SH1T!

I love Jackson… but he can’t pass a ball if his life depends on it, he has no f{}cking voice to have a go at refs or question anything… he needs to be tapped on the shoulder and moved to the bench! He can come on after 25mins, tackle his guts out for the next 50-60mins & that’s it! That’s all that should be asked of him!!