Josh Jackson says Canterbury ready to take out top sides in run to the finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...un-to-the-finals/story-fni3g67w-1227480205871

CANTERBURY say they’re starting to feel like the big dogs in the NRL kennel again.

After being lacklustre against the competition’s heavyweights this season, the Bulldogs turned a corner last week with an 18-16 win over Brisbane.

Going into the clash, last year’s grand finalists were 2-7 against top-eight teams, a stat back-rower Josh Jackson said was not lost on the playing group.

However, the win over the ladder leaders keeps them inside the top eight and has them brimming with renewed confidence four weeks out from the finals.

“We weren’t really playing well (against top-eight teams) before that,” Jackson said.

“There’s a real drive in the playing group to play better and (the ladder) is tight. We’ve got to win — it doesn’t matter how.” Jackson said the side’s 18-16 loss to Cronulla at their spiritual home of Belmore in round 20 proved to be a wake-up call. The Bulldogs were heavily tipped going into the game, having put in a spirited performance three weeks earlier against Melbourne at the same ground.

He said the loss rammed home some hard truths which they had taken on board.

“(The Cronulla game) was definitely one of the turning points,” Jackson said.

“We spoke about doing the simple things right. We’ve really fixed that up in the last couple of weeks.

“There’s always room for improvement but we’re on the right track.” The Bulldogs take on Gold Coast on Sunday at Central Coast Stadium.

Barba

TANK
Reaction score
I highly doubt he said anything like that...

ArnieD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don't get why people get upset at positive talk.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Struggling into a GF last year from 8th was a massive effort in itself.
Can history repeat itself? I think we have a better chance this time round but it still won't be easy, Frank is in and Eastwood is rested.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Don't get why people get upset at positive talk.
I think it's more to do with the fact that we seem to talk ourselves up in the media then on game day we fail to get any sort of result. I rather have them let their footy do the talking to be honest.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I think it's more to do with the fact that we seem to talk ourselves up in the media then on game day we fail to get any sort of result. I rather have them let their footy do the talking to be honest.
Exactly.

doggedforlife

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
agree with above , nothing more irritating than talking themselves up against teams like the titans ... sure fire way of getting smacked ,,, seen it a hundred times before

just shut up and play ... talk all you like after we win a title ... if media commitments require comment then ,, use des tactics and overestimate the opposition as desperate and a
good squad on paper ,, it will be tough game they surely will come out to play and will not want the spoon ... blah blah blah

other than that flying under the radar is my preferred method , as have been all our grand final wins from memory ,,, bar 2004 perhaps

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
I really do get tired of all this useless talk when it gets us nowhere. We aren't in a position where we can get in front of a camera and start gloating about what the team will do when up until this point in the season we have been dead average at best. We aren't even in a position where our finals campaign is secure so why make these sorts of comments to the media when there is still a chance the club will look like morons for saying such things?

Personally I don't think this current team should be struggling to make the 8 but we seem to always shoot ourselves in the foot and add extra pressure that we don't need. I'm honestly worried that we are going into this game with our attitude a bit under done and it seems as if they are going into this game expecting the win and that the GC won't show up.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When will these players learn to stop talking sh!t in the media. FFS if you're going to prove you can beat the top sides prove it by putting 50 on the Titans on Sunday instead of mouthing off to the media

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Players get asked question's and they answer, Our supporter base is full of sooks these days.

doggies15

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
seriously its like yous guys don't want him to be confident... is optimism a bad thing?
if he wants to be confident then let him... what position are you to be saying what he should say or not?
being confident is better then sooking about your team.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a hard situation - I'd rather the players show their actions on the field but the problem is media turn up to training sessions and ask questions.

They put players in a position where if they don't answer the questions or don't speak to the media negative articles get written.

I suppose from the players/clubs point of view they want to show they are confident so positive article get written.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If our players could actually perform consistently at the level they talk at it, it's fine. But given that apart from last week they've been talking themselves and then utterly failed to perform on the footy field, it gets annoying as f*ck

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nowhere in that article does Jacko say anything, even remotely, like that ???

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
seriously its like yous guys don't want him to be confident... is optimism a bad thing?
if he wants to be confident then let him... what position are you to be saying what he should say or not?
being confident is better then sooking about your team.
I guess JJ can actually talk because he can back it up

Status
Not open for further replies.