Official Josh Jackson Retired Immediately

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just read the official announcement. Anyone else find it a little weird no quotes from Josh?
On one hand yes, but then Jackson has never been one to put himself in the spotlight.

I really hope the club hasn't pushed him out, but Jacksons the kind of guy I could almost see standing back and going "you know what, I want some young guys to get experience, and if me retiring means the club can fill a cruicial spot for success, so be it".

The timing of Nov 1 coming up too is an interesting time to make a retirement decision. It puts us right in the box seat to attract premium talent.

As for Jackson, I met him a few times and he's always been so humble and understated in his capabilities as a player.

His sheer consistency as a player is something to be praised, having only really missed games in 2021 from injury (apart from that making over 20 games a season since debut).

A player who will be sorely missed, but gave his everything and stood by the club and jersey through the toughest of times.

He retires not just a club legend, but an NRL legend in my opinion.

Hope he gets a job either with Fox, or Bulldogs, or both.

All the very best in your retirement Jacko, we will all miss you!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
yeah but king doesn't really play full 80 mins like Jackson did on an edge. I still think we're gonna need someone to help out defensively
Doesn't need to, he was getting through the same amount of work at a higher level in less minutes. We need to spread the workload around more effectively, can't have things like TPJ hiding behind the rest of the defensive line all set and relying on one or two blokes to make tackles.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Making the ultimate sacrifice. I dare say Gus gave him the chat and offered him a position after football. Congrats on a great career.

It puts in a much better position for next year. He cant play that ball-playing lock role and his days as an edge backrower were finished 3 years ago.

Not sure about the new captain. Might do co-captain. Fox and Burton. Even though its his first year Mahoney might be a sneaky option as well

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Making the ultimate sacrifice. I dare say Gus gave him the chat and offered him a position after football. Congrats on a great career.

It puts in a much better position for next year. He cant play that ball-playing lock role and his days as an edge backrower were finished 3 years ago.

Not sure about the new captain. Might do co-captain. Fox and Burton. Even though its his first year Mahoney might be a sneaky option as well
Yeah for sure, there’s no way he walks away from $650k for the good of the club LOL.

Moon Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Great clubman, player and captain. All the best Jacko, would have loved you to go out a premiership winner.

BTW not sure how much cap space it frees due to the long serving player allowance he would have gotten...?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Typical of Jackson doing a selfless act and putting the club first, he could've chose to see out his contract and get a proper farewell but didn't.
That is definetly the trait of a genuine Captain..I remember when we had him, Finucane and Tapou all as young blokes I think sharing a house together originally. Des turned Josh into a battering ram and stole 3 or 4 off his career length the fucktard...

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
Led us with pride and distinction during some really shit times for the club, deserved more tbh. Congrats on a great career legend.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This club is losing its soul…We are a shadow of our former self. From 2002-2016 you could almost guarantee that we would be competitive (barring a few little slip ups in that time)…

We have become the polar opposite to what we once were…

I wonder if we will sign another Penrith player with the $$ we now have?

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wow something that I was not expecting, totally left field!

Hopefully he stays on in some capacity but understand if he wants time away from the game.

All the best Jacko

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Been a true legend and workhorse for this club for many years, but his best was definitely behind him.. it was time. but much respect and good luck Jacko!!!