Josh Jackson named Bulldogs captain!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have announced Josh Jackson as captain as part of a huge off-season of change at the club.

The NSW forward was unveiled as the Bulldogs captain during the club's pre-season camp in Terrigal on Wednesday, replacing the departed James Graham as skipper under the new Dean Pay regime.

Graham took on the full-time captaincy duties following the departure of Michael Ennis to the Cronulla Sharks in 2015, developing a cult following with his emotional style of leadership.

Jackson was the obvious candidate to replace the Englishman, who was squeezed out of the club to link with the St George Illawarra Dragons at the end of last year.

"I don't really know what to say. It's quite emotional. I love this and I'll do anything for this club and the boys," Jackson said choking back tears in front of more than 150 closest friends and family in Terrigal.

"It's a great honour and extremely proud moment for me. I don't think anything else in my career can top this. Thanks Deano, thanks to Ray and the board. Thanks for all the positive changes the last few months. B This has really been the most enjoyable preseason and most rewarding preseason that I have been a part of in my career."

"I have no doubt that this year is going to be a successful year. we've worked extremely hard the last few months, we have a great bunch of boys. I know it's a great responsibility but we've got the team to do it. We have the belief and we just want to put forward a team that everybody is going to be proud of."

Bulldogs back-rower Josh Jackson.©Robb Cox/NRL Photos
Former Wests Tigers captain Aaron Woods, who only started training with the Bulldogs last week, is the only other player at the club with any genuine captaincy experience.

Fellow recruit Kieran Foran also has some level of experience as skipper following a brief stint as captain of the Parramatta Eels, however Pay was reluctant to add unnecessary pressure on the two newcomers.

Jackson's appointment, ahead of prop Aiden Tolman, is just the latest change in a significant period in the club's history, with Pay replacing Des Hasler as coach and Andrew Hill replacing Raelene Castle as chief executive.

"Jacko is someone you want in your side," prop David Klemmer told NRL.com.

"He's an outstanding leader and he will treat that as a big bonus for him and he will go to another level. He's going to lead this club.

"He just does the little things in the game. He will lift you. Those little things win you football games. Seeing him do that lifts you as a player as well. He is a clubman off the field and will serve the club really well."
Its so good hearing how incredibly proud he is to be given this honor. nothing in his career can top this, so its a given he will never leave this club. He wont let the club down, and all the boys will play their hearts out for him.
I loved graham, but i kind of got the feeling he wasnt a great communicator with the boys. I may be wrong though.
I also love to hear him say this is the best preseason he has ever been a part of (of course it has been !! Lol every other one was with Hasbeen) the boys have trained really hard and they have all really enjoyed themselves. Music to my ears!!

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well deserved Jacko, can't wait for the season to start

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well deserved, great player and no doubt he will lead from the front, love the mighty blue and white's.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1 premiership in the next sixty years seems infinitely doable Tank. You are giving the team a real free ride.

The Morris boys should be part of the leadership group too.

If the grapevine is to be believed Price left to get away from poker machine addiction and not entirely to cash in on a big pay packet.
Cause there’s no pokies in NZ right? Lol

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I couldn't comment about how common they are over there, but thats the rumor I heard about why Price left the Dogs.
Lol there are pokies in NZ at every bar and RSA

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Could not be happier than I am right now! By far best choice for the club!

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watched the video. He was overcome with emotion and it’s great to hear his passion. The way he has spoken about the pre season is so positive. I think we will definitely have a successful season. The boys are up to prove to everyone that the Bulldogs are back!!

Reactions: DT

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Loved his emotion and care for the club

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its so good hearing how incredibly proud he is to be given this honor. nothing in his career can top this, so its a given he will never leave this club. He wont let the club down, and all the boys will play their hearts out for him.
I loved graham, but i kind of got the feeling he wasnt a great communicator with the boys. I may be wrong though.
I also love to hear him say this is the best preseason he has ever been a part of (of course it has been !! Lol every other one was with Hasbeen) the boys have trained really hard and they have all really enjoyed themselves. Music to my ears!!
Graham didn't understand himself half of the time, no wonder the communication broke down..lol :p

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Is Jacko going to play 80 minutes? If not, who is VC? Have to have a captain at all times.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Is Jacko going to play 80 minutes? If not, who is VC? Have to have a captain at all times.
Yes he will play 80, hopefully we plan to play both our edge forwards for 80.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes he will play 80, hopefully we plan to play both our edge forwards for 80.
Exactly right if both your edge backrowers can play 80 its a massive advantage. If RFM can play at least 65-70 mins it will be big for us. If he needs a rest then Elliot can always slot in on the edge.

Felusi kausai from the storm is a prime example of a player who had limited mintues 1 year. Then last year played 80 mins almost every week. Theres no reason why RFM cant do the same.

Jackson RFM on the edges. Elliot starting at lock will be a great backrow for us. All 3 can rotate between lock and edge if need be also. It will give us a very moblie backrow instead playing a slow prop at lock i.e Tolman.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Jacko can actually string a few words together so hopefully he can develop the knack of talking to refs like Cameron Smith.
This is pretty much the important piece of the jigsaw. We need JJ to develop into a Steve Price/Cameron Smith type of Captain where he has a good relationship with referees which leads to a potentially closer distribution of penalties and 50-50 calls going our way. Like others on this forum I think the Good Friday game of 2015 was a HINT that James Graham (love him as a players and sad that he has gone), was never going to be the best captain for us to help deal with referees. The decision for a new captain should have been made much earlier. You can't win games when your captain is disputing decisions made by referees. JJ's first big test will be when Gerard Sutton referees us for the first time in 2018. Ignoring the Melbourne Trial game reffed by Sutton last season, we haven't won an NRL game refereed by him since round 1 2016 against Manly at Brookvale. The bulldogs players he most loved to ping are now at the Tigers and the Dragons. The only thing JJ needs to do is not give away as many penalties for holding down in the tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.