Josh Jackson - Dally M Second-rower of the year.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Gotta disagree with what seems like blind bias here, T.Frizell was the best Second rower in the comp for mine
He just won the dally m award for his position, so I wouldn’t call it blind bias. Just a difference of opinion....and not an unpopular opinion, either.

DBake

Waterboy
Reaction score
Frizell keeps a decent average to his playing standards. He will never be accused of being an 80 minute high energy team member that competes 110% for every possible half chance. Lots of quiet time in his game, can’t say I’ve seen many valuable extras like kicks, smart surprise passes, blindside runs etc etc. One thing with JJ is that every single time a ball is on the ground, he’s instinctively all over it before most. Heaps more dimensions to his game than Frizell when the facts are broken down.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He just won the dally m award for his position, so I wouldn’t call it blind bias. Just a difference of opinion....and not an unpopular opinion, either.
So did Brooks, was he the best half this year? What about Leilua?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
LOWS

Team of the year shocks

It’s not fair to say Josh Jackson and Joey Leilua didn’t deserve their positions in the team of the year, because they finished with the highest amount of votes in their respective positions.

However, the average Joe can deduce that both players were not the best in their positions this season. In the second row Tyson Frizell, Tohu Harris and Tariq Sims were the standouts this year, and in the centres, Latrell Mitchell was far and away one of the biggest stars in the NRL — in any position.

The criticism falls back on the new voting criteria, where the positions are decided by the highest points’ total. Unfortunately for Frizell, Harris, Sims and Mitchell, their superstar teammates attracted attention from the voters too.

—-

“The average joe can deduce that both players were not the best in their positions” — that’s because the average joe is a dumb **** these days

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
How would I know? I barely manage to watch our games these days. I’m not really weighing in, one way or the other. But clearly if they won their positional awards, there are people who think so.

All I’m saying is it’s a bit silly to dismiss posters who say Jacko was the best back rower this year as one eyed and biased when he just won a major positional award. There are clearly quite a few people outside the club’s supporter base who share that opinion. It’s really not the time to call Jacko’s backers one eyed.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cool banana's, does he make the Kangaroo's?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
LOWS

Team of the year shocks

It’s not fair to say Josh Jackson and Joey Leilua didn’t deserve their positions in the team of the year, because they finished with the highest amount of votes in their respective positions.

However, the average Joe can deduce that both players were not the best in their positions this season. In the second row Tyson Frizell, Tohu Harris and Tariq Sims were the standouts this year, and in the centres, Latrell Mitchell was far and away one of the biggest stars in the NRL — in any position.

The criticism falls back on the new voting criteria, where the positions are decided by the highest points’ total. Unfortunately for Frizell, Harris, Sims and Mitchell, their superstar teammates attracted attention from the voters too.

—-

“The average joe can deduce that both players were not the best in their positions” — that’s because the average joe is a dumb **** these days
Winning teams attract more votes in general, too. So there are two sides to that argument. More wins mean more chances to claim votes just as more competition from teammates means less chance to stand out.

I know it’s not you making the argument.... just saying.

Last edited:

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Winning teams generally attract more votes in general, too. So there are two sides to that argument. More wins mean more chances to claim votes just as more competition from teammates means less chance to stand out.

I know it’s not you making the argument.... just saying.
Good point you make there totally agree. Wonder if the person who wrote of it thought of that?

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He had his arm in a sling? Didn’t know he had injury or off season surgery

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Good point you make there totally agree. Wonder if the person who wrote of it thought of that?
I doubt it..... but if their theory stood up, it would mean players from lower ranked teams would claim the positional awards more often than not. Often all three votes go to players on the winning team and it takes a good player to stand out and win points while playing for a losing side. Winning teams require more than one standout and it’s not like Jacko was single handedly winning us games at the end of the year, either. We had plenty of players hitting form in the back end of the season.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Unfortunately jj Wont be in the Kangaroo team regardless of whether he is injured or not. Lots of good second rowers around and he didn't make origin despite being nsw player of the series in 2017. I don't trust meninga when it cones to positions in the Roos team that there are plenty of options. He will go for a Queenslander every time particularly when a nsw contender wasn't part of origin. Even though nsw won the 2018 series I am totally convinced there will be more Queenslanders in the squad than blues.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Congratulations to our fearless captain "Action Jackson". From a members point of view, very well deserved and glad he won, but a little surprised he did though.

Thoughts?
Yeah im very surprised tbh. That means he is rated the best backrower of several international teams as well as the NSW and QLD origin teams. Despite all this he wasnt good enough to play origin.
Add to this that fuckwit cherry evans has been named captain of the prime ministers 13. WTF?? Surely jackson should at least be in that team, and no doubt captain of it.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would have thought that David Klemmer was the best prop of the year because he played outstandingly well from game 1-25 & pretty much had to do it alone for the first 20 weeks or so. It would be easier for other props when they had another prop helping & then had 2 more on the bench. Klemmer did not have that luxury.

Last edited:

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No but jackson was the best second rower and consistently i think they got brooks right. Leilua instead of mitchell is the only strange one.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool banana's, does he make the Kangaroo's?
Has too. Meninga goes on about picking the best in form players then he is first one picked. Frizell and sims. Pffft. I do rate them but how can u put them in front of jacko after he lead his side to an absolute thrashing over theres.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It says it all when Sterlo said on commentary “josh Jackson is my favourite player in the competition”
And that was post origin. Fuck Fittler
Jackson has been Sterlos favourite player since he made his debut lol.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
it was based off the DallyM ladder, think jackson had 15 pts and friezel had 13

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah im very surprised tbh. That means he is rated the best backrower of several international teams as well as the NSW and QLD origin teams. Despite all this he wasnt good enough to play origin.
Add to this that fuckwit cherry evans has been named captain of the prime ministers 13. WTF?? Surely jackson should at least be in that team, and no doubt captain of it.
He only missed out in nsw side cause of a selection fuck up. None of our origin back rowers this year even put in one performance during series that would even come close to matching jackos worst performance in sky blue. If cherry evans played all 3 games we get flogged lose series and fittler sacked and jacko rushed straight back into side. Crighton over jackson i want some of that powder freddy is taking.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn't really watch to much League this year (too bitter), so I can't say if he was the best or not.

I did see however the string of games he put together at the backend of the season. IMO only Wade Graham could have done the things he did. He was ball playing, putting Grubbers into the ingoal, running hard and tackling hard. Not too many SR like that in the game.

Even though he got it this year, if he keeps it up he will be the best SR in the game AND it will be impossible to leave him out of SOO.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How would I know? I barely manage to watch our games these days. I’m not really weighing in, one way or the other. But clearly if they won their positional awards, there are people who think so.

All I’m saying is it’s a bit silly to dismiss posters who say Jacko was the best back rower this year as one eyed and biased when he just won a major positional award. There are clearly quite a few people outside the club’s supporter base who share that opinion. It’s really not the time to call Jacko’s backers one eyed.
I'm not dismissing anyone's opinion. I said "seems like blind bias," which is probably a fair assumption based on this being a Bulldogs fan forum. Frizell didn't have a bad game, but his good games were immense