News Josh Jackson’s career at crossroads as Phil Gould eyes Bulldogs overhaul

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I want to see how he goes with a real hooker and hopefully a real coach next year.
He can obviously do a lot better but there's no need to even consider upgrading his deal. You don't upgrade the deal of a bloke that has 3 try involvements lol

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to see how he goes with a real hooker and hopefully a real coach next year.
I would like to see Lewis , flanno , wakeham, cogger, jacko and all the other duds and scapegoats go with a real hooker .

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine having the worst win percentage since 1935... with an open cheque book of signings, state of the art training facilities, all his own hand picked staff & player signings.

FRAUDWATCH, this man needs to be removed for impersonating a FG coach!
D88FAA60-756C-498F-B5C8-C5181F307292.png

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He doesn't deserve it, but he kind of has us over a Ponga style barrel.
Ponga was massively hyped as a teenager.. bit like suaali for roosters.. nothing at all like the kiraz situation

Reaction score
U know what I can’t keep silent any longer on this so gotta say it straight out what the f is so good about Josh Jackson?
For years I’ve been reading about him as almost this Gos like Terry lamb figure but how?
Because in the early 2010s he defended hard?
this gives him a good like rep with a thicc cheque? Far out.
It's one of the things that has always stunned me about this forum. He's been nothing more than average for his whole career. A player that tries hard and that's about it. He used to top the tackle count every week because opposition forwards love running at him, so fans were blinded by his high tackle stats in losing teams. When he first debuted for us, he debuted into a very strong forward pack so everyone thought he had something special and I remember Sterlo was rapping him relentlessly and pumping his tires. Then he had the game of his career against broncos where he made the only line break of his career on the weekend that Origin teams were being announced and it was enough to get him into the NSW team.

But anyone who watches him closely every week sees the intangibles. He gets dominated as a ball runner, his post contact metres are non-existent, his ball playing is terrible despite the fact that he has been training and playing in the position for years. He offers no 2nd phase play. Asks zero questions to any defensive line and does not challenge a defense in any way. He's a handbrake in attack.

In defense, because he is undersized he often has to tackle low, he does not win the ruck, opposition get quick play the balls on him, he has a very soft 1st contact (the opposite of someone like Dale Finucane for eg.) and he concedes the most post contact metres.

He wouldn't make the starting 13 at any other club but at the dogs he's probably our marquee player :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Saw this on one of our socials. Sums it up perfectly really. Tough reading but accurate.

Barrett needs to modify JJ role and minutes at the bare minimum. Very sad it has come to this but all players and sports people face the retirement/loss of impact and form reality eventually. He does deserve to have it handled respectfully but he needs to face his reality and future front on himself. The guys are so ill disciplined and are letting him down and not respecting his leadership with that, so there's that as well.

"Loved Jackson for years, BUT…Too slow to be an edge player, too small to be a front rower, can’t ball play like a modern day lock.

Seems to give away a lot of 6 agains and offsides.

Not worth 750k, was resigned out of loyalty, not worth.

I’d love to say he offers professionalism to younger guys but doesn’t seem to have the same impact say a Finucane does to sharks."

This is the true situation atm ...but....Barrett can help JJ by changing this silly role he has given him and try and use him correctly as a versatile bench player.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Jacko has earned the right to retire on his own terms !!!
If he wishes to continues on he must play his own game and not try and turn him into something he is not,
If he is not up to the speed of the current game start him of the bench bring him on when the game slows down.
If he is interested and capable he should be employed to do a post playing job at the club.
That's what The Family must do !!!
Nobody earns the right to retire on there own terms. If he is not upto it do not pick him.

in baretts defense I think the plan was to play John asitia at 13 and Jackson in the back row but whom wouldplay 13 now?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
He should move on if he wants what’s best for the club. He’ll pick you a spot at another club. And they best not be going over board for burton cause he hasn’t shown anything yet but a mid field bomb.
Burton has potential in a real team. We will need him when we get a proper coach and halfback.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
IF we had a better option at 13 for attack, is it possible to play Jacko at lock in defensive sets and shift him in attacking sets with a more natural ball player?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wanting to or needing to move these players on is fine but actually making it work without paying a tonne of freight is the extremely difficult part.
Not if their contracts are up, and Jackson would retire.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
IF we had a better option at 13 for attack, is it possible to play Jacko at lock in defensive sets and shift him in attacking sets with a more natural ball player?
so hide him in attack? i dont think ive ever seen a team do that before