Opinion Josh Addo-Carr vs Xavier Coates: Who will have a better first season at their new club?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
could argue that saab is faster than JAC. Nofa is deceptively quick too (not as fast but very close)
Top speed maybe, but acceleration JAC has him covered easily.

Always a Bulldog

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just hope JAC can keep at least 95% of his pace over the next few years. He is getting on in years, but last year he was still making a contest for fastest NRL player. Iirc he clocked the quickest speed, but that's not the be all end all. Saab does look possibly quicker over distance, but as others have said, JAC's acceleration and footwork is more dangerous.

The gift that a player like JAC offers is turning half chances into tries. In the past (most) of our wingers weren't in the top 5 fastest in the league, hence could be chased down, not take all opportunities. JAC takes almost every single opportunity he gets in the clear.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I just hope JAC can keep at least 95% of his pace over the next few years. He is getting on in years, but last year he was still making a contest for fastest NRL player. Iirc he clocked the quickest speed, but that's not the be all end all. Saab does look possibly quicker over distance, but as others have said, JAC's acceleration and footwork is more dangerous.

The gift that a player like JAC offers is turning half chances into tries. In the past (most) of our wingers weren't in the top 5 fastest in the league, hence could be chased down, not take all opportunities. JAC takes almost every single opportunity he gets in the clear.
Isn’t Jac like 25?

Edit I checked. He’s 26 hardly getting on ffs lol.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats the difference.
There are centres that need to be setup, and there are centres that you just pass the ball to and they create. Either through a jink and step, through power, through flick or in-tackle pass, through angled runs or through speed.

Basically your centre has to have good hands or otherwise have brute strength to bust tackles and find the winger.

Latrell is your tackle busting type but also has ability to pass in tackles or flick pass. Inglis was same. Willie Talau, Meninga, Brenko Lee, Israel Folau, Conrad Hurrell, Matai all the same tackle busting type.

Vagana, SKD and a bunch of others were the jink and step type of centres.

Would be interesting to see how our guys go this year. Schoup seems the tackle busting type so hopefully he can develop that part of his game. Naden seems the jink and step kinda centre.
Lmao the examples you picked are bizarre. Meninga Folau fair enough then brenko lol

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didn't see much all year from Coates, probably improves playing In the Storm system but for all he brings on and off field it's JAC all day every day.As said we will need to be creative so he can utilise his brilliant speed.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Coates will kill it, but why are some people acting like he isn't already a gun and that Bellamy will make him a gun? A winger can only be as good as the backing inside him... Bellamy is great at building teams - he can marry up positional players, matching strengths with weaknesses etc. In this case, he replaces pace with pace so he doesn't need to change much else...

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Oh btw, JACs biggest attribute for us isn't on the field. He will go a long way to having this team gel and want to die for each other. His passion, energy and morale boosting vibe is infectious and thats what we need. He's a handy winger too, but for me, he's the off field lynch pin.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s a dribble article, I wonder how much time the media spends thinking of absolute Shi!t content to write linking up to our club. Seriously, “who is going to have a better season?”
Is the media hiring kindergartens now?? Perhaps the column being written in crayon was a dead giveaway?

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try scoring wise Coates will win by a country mile. Storm structure is just so good. I’m hoping Carr has a solid year and builds for 23

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Try scoring wise Coates will win by a country mile. Storm structure is just so good. I’m hoping Carr has a solid year and builds for 23
I’m predicting Burton/Fox will build a similar connection to Munster/Fox and see some clever kicking result in some points… Naden and Fox will also be good out wide but unfortunately, we’ll have to wait until 2023 to see Kikau on an edge and supplying Fox - that’s a seriously potent combo.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m predicting Burton/Fox will build a similar connection to Munster/Fox and see some clever kicking result in some points… Naden and Fox will also be good out wide but unfortunately, we’ll have to wait until 2023 to see Kikau on an edge and supplying Fox - that’s a seriously potent combo.
Maaaate...your forgetting big Hethro getting into space and JAC having to wind up to right near full throttle to keep up and get the final try time ball from him!

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn’t Jac like 25?

Edit I checked. He’s 26 hardly getting on ffs lol.
Holy shit he looks 36 haha. He's going grey or am I imagining that?

Far out man I'm happy to be corrected, because I had this idea that he was late 20s/early 30s!

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Holy shit he looks 36 haha. He's going grey or am I imagining that?

Far out man I'm happy to be corrected, because I had this idea that he was late 20s/early 30s!
Google is your friend!

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
could argue that saab is faster than JAC. Nofa is deceptively quick too (not as fast but very close)
apparently (think i read it on here?) fox is quicker over the first 40 metres but saab is quicker overall over the 100m

eagle66

Waterboy
Reaction score
The Canterbury Bulldogs have undertaken an aggressive recruitment drive the likes of which it's hard to remember ever happening.

They've brought in big-name, powerful forwards, a superstar in the making in the halves, and some major weapons in the outside backs.

In 2021 the Dogs were difficult to watch. They scored only 340 points across the entire season. This was 88 points shy of the next leanest return.

In Josh Addo-Carr, the Dogs have recruited a proven try-scorer who can bust the line open from anywhere on the park.

Craig Bellamy was quick to replace him by adding young Xavier Coates in what looks a like-for-like swap.

This prompted me to ask; who will have the better season next year?

On the surface this looks as though it's the easiest in this series to declare. Josh Addo-Carr has played a big role in success both at club, state and international levels, has scored 100 tries at NRL level and is widely considered the fastest man in Rugby League.

Easy. Right?

I strongly disagree because of two factors. The first, and most important being the Craig Bellamy factor, and secondly I think it's fair to suggest that while the Storm are in "win now" mode, the Bulldogs are not.

Let us know below who you believe will have the better first season at their new club.

Josh Addo-Carr
What more can be said about Josh Addo-Carr that hasn't been said already?
He's been one of the top two or three wingers in the world for the past few seasons.
He's the first winger picked at Origin and international level. Some refer to him as "the fastest man alive".
The Fox is a massive signing for the Dogs. Not only is he is he a try-scorer, but he creates opportunities with his speed, footwork and agility. You blink and he's gone.

With the greatest of respects to the Dogs, they haven't had a winger in the same hemisphere of talent as Addo-Carr for many seasons.
He will slot straight in, as a senior player, and you have to imagine he'll be charged with kick returns wherever possible.
His speed and power ensure sets start on the front foot. He and Matt Duftyshould wrack up plenty of kick return metres in 2022.
Most importantly though he is the polished finisher that the Dogs have lacked for many, many, many (deep breathe), many years.
It's hard to see anyone else pushing him for the honour of his club's top try-scorer in 2022.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the Fox fly down the wing in the blue and white.

Xavier Coates
Craig Bellamy always finds a way.

He's lost literally millions of dollars with of talent over the years due to salary cap issues, positional switches or those wanting to play closer to home.

Losing a player of Addo-Carr's pedigree would be a massive blow for most sides and most coaches, but not the Storm and Craig Bellamy.

Bellamy went out and handpicked his replacement. The six-foot four flyer who's potentially was being squandered in the Broncos set up; Xavier Coates.

Coates has all the raw talent to be a special player. I almost didn't want Coates to end up in Melbourne as he's just another outside back who will reach new heights under Bellamy

Think Reimis Smith, Brenko Lee, Justin Olam. Two fringe reserve graders and a raw talent turned into stars.

Jahrome Hughes was a third-string fullback before Bellamy turned him into one of the game's elite halfbacks. Papenhuyzen was a reserve grader, Addo-Carr too.

You'd be far braver than I am to suggest Bellamy won't be able to take a super talent, with Origin experience, and ensure he fulfils his potential.

Coates won't look back upon his 2021 season fondly, although Payne Haasaside, there aren't too many Broncos who will.

He's fallen into the literal perfect position under the game's best and most consistent setup. Given his size, speed and ability to find the line, I am equal parts excited and scared to see what he produces.

Verdict
I have no doubt in the world that Coates will have a monster 2022. He has literal unlimited potential.

That said, all the potential in the world isn't enough to look past Addo-Carr's achievements, experience and talents.

Coates may score more tries given the ridiculous talent in his supporting cast, but Addo-Carr is going to take on a leadership role and I see that taking him to another level.

His arrival in Belmore has Dogs fans excited, and for good reason. I expect to see his workload rise and his continuation as the game's elite winger.
Great post, great topic.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You could be the fastest or strongest but to be the best you need a footy brain. We have not had that in our team for many years. Now. JAC has all that and more.....

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh btw, JACs biggest attribute for us isn't on the field. He will go a long way to having this team gel and want to die for each other. His passion, energy and morale boosting vibe is infectious and thats what we need. He's a handy winger too, but for me, he's the off field lynch pin.
I love it that you think he is a handy winger too.......

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
apparently (think i read it on here?) fox is quicker over the first 40 metres but saab is quicker overall over the 100m
But that first 10-20m is what is important on the field. That's where you need your speed.