News Josh Addo-Carr contract: Bulldogs emerge as favourite for Storm flyer

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dogs are barking but Foxx still uncertain where future lies
AuthorMargie McDonaldNRL.com Senior ReporterTimestampTue 20 Oct 2020, 07:01 AM
Margie McDonald

Josh Addo-Carr has no idea which Sydney club he will be playing at next year but he does know that this Sunday's grand final will be his last "in the purple jersey".
Suitors like the Wests Tigers, South Sydney and now the Bulldogs have been mentioned in dispatches for 2021 but Addo-Carr has only one club in mind this week and it's Melbourne Storm.

"I have no idea to be honest," he said of his future, ahead of Monday's field session in preparation for the Panthers at ANZ Stadium.
"I have a really supportive group behind me in the Storm, in my management, in my family all working behind the scenes on all that stuff. All I've got to do is focus on this week.
"I've got to really enjoy the week as it's probably going to be my last for the Storm. I just want to enjoy my teammates' company and make some good memories with the fellas," he said.

"Melbourne will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm really grateful to be a part of this club. My name is on that (Storm honour) wall with some of the greats and no-one can take that away from me."

The Storm are still yet to officially release Addo-Carr from the final year of his contract but intend to do so if they can arrange a player swap of similar quality.

Have your say on greatest Origin players of all time

Addo-Carr's pride in his indigenous heritage is also non-negotiable. Therefore he won't be singing the national anthem on Sunday.

"Everyone knows my answer (to that question)," he said when asked about Sunday's formalities, "…don't want to disrupt anything this week with that stuff."

Choose the 2020 Blues, Maroons squads

Teammate Justin Olam is certainly going to miss Addo-Carr's abilities – along with opposite winger Suliasi Vunivalu, who is going to the Queensland Reds in rugby.

"They are a big part of our team. It's going to be hard – it's already sad thinking about it," Olam said.

"But it will be good to send them out the right way. They are such good players who have done a lot for this club."

There's nostalgia all around. The first NRL game Olam ever watched "because we didn't have a TV growing up" was the 1999 grand final where the Storm enjoyed a 20-18 win over St George Illawarra.

"We moved down to a town on the coast to have breakfast that morning, so that's where I watched it," he said. He was only six years old and in primary school.

Now 21 years on and Olam is playing in his first NRL grand final – with the Storm. You would think he will be a one-man merchandise-generating machine for purple jerseys back in Papua New Guinea.

"Marcus Bai did a lot of things and he began a big Storm fan base in PNG already," a humble Olam said, not wanting to take all the credit.

But since Olam has scored six tries in his past six games, he is sure to have created his own fan pool.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All this talk about the Storm not releasing JAC without a suitable replacement doesn't really leave me thinking that Grant or B. Smith will be released without a fight.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
All this talk about the Storm not releasing JAC without a suitable replacement doesn't really leave me thinking that Grant or B. Smith will be released without a fight.
If they have a clause in their contract there is nothing Melbourne can do. They hold the power in this situation though

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If they have a clause in their contract there is nothing Melbourne can do. They hold the power in this situation though
Supposedly Grant has a clause if Cam Smith plays on. So if he retires the clause is void. And releasing a reliable backup hooker that is useful elsewhere isn't in their best interest either. They know the value of getting every play off to a good start. I'm sure they're not going to give up that advantage easily. If it comes down to offering them quality in a swap deal, I'm not sure we have a lot of options to offer them.

I'm not saying that either of their young hookers won't move on. But I see a lot of fans here who seem to think that it's a certainty. I just don't want to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth that will start if nothing eventuates with luring B. Smith or Grant to the club.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Hopoate would improve massively under Bellamy. Can we make this happen?

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supposedly Grant has a clause if Cam Smith plays on. So if he retires the clause is void. And releasing a reliable backup hooker that is useful elsewhere isn't in their best interest either. They know the value of getting every play off to a good start. I'm sure they're not going to give up that advantage easily. If it comes down to offering them quality in a swap deal, I'm not sure we have a lot of options to offer them.

I'm not saying that either of their young hookers won't move on. But I see a lot of fans here who seem to think that it's a certainty. I just don't want to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth that will start if nothing eventuates with luring B. Smith or Grant to the club.
Exactly right, i think everyone needs to move away from thinking we are getting B. Smith or Grant. Storm wont let either go. If B smith wanted a release next year we would already know about it as his manager would be all over it and through the media..............we all need to move on

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We were kinda in this situation with Klemmer, he wanted an early release to go be with his new best chums. We managed to hold out till we got a replacement, but no one in their right minds would consider Napa of anything like equal quality.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cotrics defence is questionable on the wing, let alone in the centres.

He aint a centres asshole
How the fuck is it? He's always taking blokes over the sideline. And your comment about him playing centre in juniors saying 'it's not under 12s'.... lol just stupidity. He's played most of his football there and WANTS to play there.... what does that tell you? Let me guess.... "He's not a centres asshole" still? Lol I'd love to know how some people come to conclusions

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't too fussed before about JAC coming here as I thought he was not what was urgently needed. If we nab the rumored halves due next year, I start to see more up to him in our side.
5 years ago we paid about 600k for bmoz to play fullback and whilst the vigours of fullback didn't do well for his knees we got stuck with him at wing for most of his term to get some longetivity out of him.
I hope JAC strength wise can handle fullback. Learning the finer arts of that position I'm sure his talented enough to quickly develop and adapt. If he comes and it works for us , for 600k we get a bargain.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with this.
Preference of course is one of the Melbourne lads, but I think we need to be seeing where Daryl Clarke’s head is at....