News Joseph Suaalii

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/27...ing-age-rule-as-souths-fight-to-keep-suaalii/

V'landys open to changing age rule as Souths fight to keep Suaalii

Author
Dan Walsh Reporting from Eora nation
Timestamp
Mon 27 Jul 2020, 05:34 PM

The ARL Commission will consider an exemption for in-demand schoolboy Joseph Suaalii to make his NRL debut before he turns 18 as chairman Peter V'landys also flags a pathways consultancy role for Phil Gould.

On a busy day at Rugby League Central, V'landys launched the game's Indigenous Round before holding court on the two biggest stories of the day – the future of a 16-year-old prodigy and a 62-year-old that has seen it all and then some in rugby league.

Suaalii turns 17 this weekend, and with that birthday, he would be able to officially take up and register a lucrative Rabbitohs contract.

Indications are South Sydney will trump Rugby Australia in the high-profile battle for his services, with V'landys on Monday confirming an additional carrot could be dangled by the governing body.

Under current NRL rules players cannot play first grade until after their 18th birthday.

But V'landys said the Commission would look to change the game's rules in both Suaalii's case and others further down the line.

"Absolutely. We will look at anything that is to the benefit of the game," V'landys said when asked if NRL age restrictions could be re-evaluated.

"That is what the Commission is there for - to look at the benefit of the game, the promotion of the game and the outcomes of the game.

"We should look at every case on its merits. We should not have blanket rules that stop you from doing things that are for the benefit of the game."

Good judges at South Sydney, including former English international Sam Burgess, rate Suaalii as NRL ready or close to it, while the Waratahs have also indicated a willingness to pitch the youngster into Super Rugby in quick time as well.

The RLPA will be consulted before any decision is reached by the Commission on any age-restriction changes given the rules were first enacted in the interests of player welfare and safety.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wonder if these rules would be bent for teams like the Tigers and Titans or is it just the Roosters and Souths that get special treatment?

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NRL stars Nathan Cleary, Wade Graham, Benji Marshall voice concerns over changing age rule for Joseph Suaalii

Three of the game’s biggest stars, Wade Graham, Benji Marshall and Nathan Cleary, have warned of the dangers of changing age rules that would allow teen sensation Joseph Suaalii to make his NRL debut in 2021.

Suaalii, who only turns 17 on Saturday, was the subject of a multimillion-dollar bidding war between South Sydney and Rugby Australia.

Suaalii is expected to commit to the Rabbitohs on his 17th birthday but under current age rules won’t be able to make his NRL debut until he is 18-years old.

The NRL is considering an exemption for Suaalii but veteran Cronulla forward Graham has voiced concerns whether players like the teenager are ready for the brutal physicality of top flight rugby league.

Graham made his debut at 17 for the Penrith Panthers in 2008, playing eight games and a further 22 games in 2009.

A candid Graham admitted his body wasn’t ready to deal with NRL football and forced him under the knife for a shoulder reconstruction when he was just 19-years old.

“Speaking from experience, I debuted as a 17-year old. I certainly look back at my time, when I came through and it was definitely too early for me. My body wasn’t quite ready for it,” he said.

“I had shoulder surgery the next season (2009) because of the damage the game brought to my body. I spent the next 12 months in the gym trying to be strong enough to play week in week out grind of the NRL.”

Graham proposed a cap on the number of NRL games for a player under 18 during their debut season in a bid to protect teenagers like Suaalii.

“The adage back then was, if you’re good enough, you’re old enough. I understand why the rules came in to protect the younger players. But there is always an exception to the rule. You look at guys like Israel Folau and Greg Inglis coming through as teenagers and dominating on the world stage so it’s hard to deny someone (like Suaalii) if they are physically ready,” Graham said.

“Instead of holding a player back at that age, if they’re good enough, there might be ways to look at capping the number of games they can play in the (debut) season.”

“The NRL is a war attrition … and it takes a while for your body to mature enough to be able to handle that.”

Tigers veteran Marshall said despite the fact Suaalii looked ready to play in the NRL, there were dangers with changing the rules.

“The reason the rules got brought in to change kids from being able to play until they’re 18 was to look out for the welfare and long-term being able to handle playing with men,” Marshall told NRL 360.

“Each case is different but I’m scared that if we change the rule now clubs are going to start signing kids at 15, 16 on bigger deals when they haven’t played first grade before.

“It could have a massive effect on the long-term health of some of these young guys.”

Penrith halfback Cleary also cautioned against prematurely blooding the game’s hottest prospects too early and said the intense media scrutiny could have a detrimental impact on Suaalii.

The Panthers superstar, who made his debut at 18-years old in 2016, said the expectation and scrutiny of being an NRL player is like being ‘hit in the face’.

“I think it’s the increased scrutiny in the media and the stuff around it, which is the hard part. He’ll need a good support base around him, which I’m sure the Rabbitohs would have to help him through the tough moments and the scrutiny,” Cleary said.

“He’s more than talented enough, there wouldn’t be these raps around him if he wasn’t … it’s more about his mind and trying to preparing him for what’s to come.

“It kind of hits you in the face once you reach (the NRL), especially if you have a couple of bad games.”

Cleary also revealed after Suaalii dominated the headlines in recent weeks he decided to watch the rising back’s highlight reels.

“I actually watched his highlights yesterday. Every article I was seeing on social media was about him so I thought I may as well give him a look and I watched it … wow, he’s a special talent so I’m pretty interested to see how he goes,” he said.

Like Cleary, Parramatta halfback Mitchell Moses is just as impressed with Suaalii’s talents.

But unlike Cleary, Moses has seen Suaalii tear through his opposition first hand as a spectator at a schoolboy rugby match between St Joseph’s College and The Kings School.

“I’ve seen him play. My little cousin was playing Joeys and they played against Kings in a game last year and I went to watch it. The kid is a freak… this kid’s a bit different. He’ll be ready to play next year,” Moses said.

Source: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...i/news-story/f8c30f1153c3c0df80ab6b02f3f74a4c

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not that I'm hoping to see Suaalii cop a serious injury. But I'd be rather impressed with seeing him debut at 17 and cop an injury that prevented him from doing much for the duration of his contract with South's. I'm still a bit pissed off with the fanfare and asslicking of the NRL when we last faced them in the grand final. And since then the seemingly preferential treatment around the Burgess and Inglis retirements and wiping their cap value out has annoyed me.

So while I don't want to see this kid injured, I'd still take some joy in the fact that it would weaken the Rabbitohs if he was.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Geeze, ole Wayne looks like he's had a successful grooming in that picture.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I watched some of his clips and to be honest he maybe running over against kids half his size at the moment but once his up against men his size lets see if his still as good. also paying a kid that sort if money could backfire as he has not played nrl yet.

Malla

Reaction score
How many 16/17 year olds with that much hype around them have truly made it?

A bit premature. It's one thing for him to have the talent which we don't doubt, but now he has to play with a lot of pressure on his shoulders. Very hard to do.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Iv seen Suuali play a few times he was extremely good. Im not a sports doctor etc - but id be be very cautious playing someone with his body type against men too early. Players with similar builds - ie tall and long limbs without the supporting strength tend to get a lot of injuries early in their careers - trobjevic being one.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Bit of a kick in the guts for the Rugby AU and NSW staff that were laid off to save money during the Covid crisis throwing money around like this.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How many 16/17 year olds with that much hype around them have truly made it?

A bit premature. It's one thing for him to have the talent which we don't doubt, but now he has to play with a lot of pressure on his shoulders. Very hard to do.

A little bit older but Karl Filiga then known as Karl Mcnicol anyone...supposedly the next SBW

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gee, so I see that Uncle Russell has been entertaining young Suaalii, taking him and his family to Nana Glen. Wonderful isn't it when an owner of a club can have a big influence in a game supposedly run by the NRL. Oh and he is now worth, at the tender age, of not yet even 17, 2 million over four years...... look forward to his next contract.... but the salary cap increase will probably accommodate for the difference.

So Souths have sent an impassioned plea to the NRL to be granted an exemption and it will not be a blanket rule but a case by case look...so look out the next time a club wants to do this and they get knocked back. Funny how Souths always seem to get the rub of the green isn't it...Inglis, Burgess and now Russell's new super star.
Players who started the game at a similar age are all saying it is a mistake and they should know, with the consensus being that even though you may be the best player in years, your body is not ready for first grade footy at such a young age considering the way in which the game is now played.

Notice Buzz is hedging his bets though.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/a3ead6f846c5fcbbd081fdf13811aec7

Joseph Suaalii looks ready to turn his back on Rugby Australia, and in fact sign with the South Sydney Rabbitohs on Saturday, after the 16-year-old was wooed back to the NRL.
The teenager is set to put pen to paper on a $2.5 million deal, according to Fox League’s James Hooper, while the Rabbitohs have requested a special exemption be made for Suaalii to be able to play in the NRL at 17 years of age.

The current rule says players must be 18 years old to play in the NRL.

Suaalii turns 17 on Saturday, and ARL Commission chairman, Peter V’landys said he was “absolutely” open to making an exception for the youngster.

But while the NRL might be left with no other option if they want to keep rugby away, the exemption could open the door to trouble in the not-so-distant future.

We brought it [the rule] in for a reason,” Paul Kent said on NRL 360. “Because we had a couple of young guys come through years back and it didn’t end well; came in too early … but the first one that comes along that’s good enough we want to change the rule and get him up there.”

James Hooper reminded the panel that “it’s not a rule change”.

“What they’re going to do is … examine everything on a case-by-case basis,” he explained.

“So, the Bunnies have written to the NRL, they’ve asked for special exemption, dispensation for this young bloke to be able to make his debut in Round 1 of next season.

“But that doesn’t mean that every other 17-year-old that’s good enough is going to get a green light to automatically qualify.”

Rothfield warned: “It is dangerous because the next club that gets knocked back with a really talented 17-year-old might have a blow-up in them.

“But I’d rather bend the rules to keep this kid, a once in a generation player.”

Ben Ikin asked Rothfield how he, or the commission, can determine that moving forward.

Rothfield answered: “Have you YouTube’d Joseph Suaalii?”

Last edited:

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a healthy move, it would put a bullseye on him, I could just imagen him getting slammed by some big horrible 28 to 30 year old centre or forward and that would be the end of twinkle toes here...
Let him mature a bit first.

Last edited:

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't see the issue. If Souths are willing to take the gamble on a big contract on a youngster with potential. For every Brad Fitler or Tim Brasher there will be a Jordan Rankin or Karl Filiga.

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The whole thing is bizarre. What club agrees to a get out clause every year for 5 years....you'd have other clubs throwing money at him every November.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The whole thing is bizarre. What club agrees to a get out clause every year for 5 years....you'd have other clubs throwing money at him every November.
He only requested the get out clause from the 4th year onwards (trivial - but I think for a reason).

He's basically telling the Rabbitohs "I'll make more money with you than I will anywhere else in the first year - but after a Vaccine comes out and RU top-flight comes back, I am likely to piss off to RU".

That's how I read it anyway.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He only requested the get out clause from the 4th year onwards (trivial - but I think for a reason).

He's basically telling the Rabbitohs "I'll make more money with you than I will anywhere else in the first year - but after a Vaccine comes out and RU top-flight comes back, I am likely to piss off to RU".

That's how I read it anyway.
He wanted the get out clauses from the second year of an upgraded 5 year contract and a pay rise every year. Not even souffs are that stupid.

Who ever is advising this kid is obviously getting advice from some where else with all these new contract requests. He'll negotiate himself out of the code if he's not careful.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hate Souths buti like that they are not going to agree to what this kid wants - let him go to Union. As was said on 360 - sign one year contract - back your ability - ask for more dollars anywhere after proving how good you are each year.