News Johnathan Thurston blasts Des Hasler over Canterbury Bulldogs 'mess' in stunning spray

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Johnathan Thurston has launched an extraordinary attack on Des Hasler, accusing the ex-Canterbury coach of stripping the Bulldogs of their aura during his tenure at the club.

Hasler spent six seasons at the helm of ‘The Family Club’ before he was sacked in 2017.

The two-time premiership-winning coach led the Bulldogs to the 2012 grand final and to the NRL finals on five occasions.

But the Bulldogs finished 11th in Hasler’s final season and missed the finals in 2018 and 2019 after a series of back-ended deals and questionable signings during Hasler’s tenure left the Bulldogs in salary cap hell.

Dean Pay, who took over from Hasler in 2018, on Monday resigned after leading the 16th-placed Bulldogs to just one win this season.

But Thurston, who played 29 games for the Bulldogs before going on to enjoy a legendary career with the North Queensland Cowboys, laid the blame for the current state of the Bulldogs squarely at Hasler’s feet.

“It’s obviously a mess and it’s hard for me when I think about the Bulldogs because they gave me my first opportunity when I was an 18-year-old to live out my dream,” Thurston told WWOS Radio.

“All through the 80s and 90s and the early 2000s the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs were a powerhouse club.

“They were the family club as they were known back then but they’ve certainly lost that aura about themselves probably over the last decade and I think probably Dessie Hasler has something to do with that and they’ve just never recovered from when he’s left.

“It’s very unfortunate for a man like Dean Pay who is a former player and captain of the club too, and to see the way that he’s exited is not great.

“Hopefully whoever they get in there knows the tradition and the history and the culture of the club and the ‘Dogs of War’ which they were known for all those years ago.

“So hopefully whoever comes in understands that and can get them back to the powerhouse club they once were.”

Former Sea Eagles coach and current Penrith assistant Trent Barrett is the prohibitive favourite to win the head coaching role in 2021 after he was interviewed on Monday night.

But Thurston cast doubt over the 42-year-old’s credentials and urged his former club to target two of the greatest coaches in NRL history.

“I don’t know if that (Barrett) be the right (choice) in my opinion,” Thurston said.

“I’d be going after someone that’s got a hard edge about them and has got a lot of experience, a Wayne Bennett-type, Craig Bellamy-type that can rule the roost with an iron fist and get the club back to the glory days.”

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...yld3lbk7Koj_Y8P2WbXWLwWtNacsodPYl0ty8gjTenO7Q

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Noad prioritised Thursto instead of overrated Braith who left shortly after anyway, then we would have won three more comps at least. I hated the decision at the time and it will always piss me off.

He still loves the club and I'd love to see him as a halves consultant like Joey has been with several teams.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For once someone in the media with the balls to call out Hasler, JT will always have a soft spot in his heart for the dogs, as he mentions we was the ones who gave him he’s first crack at FG. No doubt he will be hurting see the club in the state it’s in. On ya JT for actually having the guts to speak the true about the bulldogs without an agenda.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think JT would have eventually left us and moved back home to NQ.
He would have been homesick.
But i do agree with him 100%

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice to see someone publicly outing Hasler who seems like a protected species in the media!

Love your work JT!

And if you’re looking for a gig coaching halves....

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If Noad prioritised Thursto instead of overrated Braith who left shortly after anyway, then we would have won three more comps at least. I hated the decision at the time and it will always piss me off.

He still loves the club and I'd love to see him as a halves consultant like Joey has been with several teams.
Is that accurate though? I remember at the time the club would have preferred Anasta leave but he had 1 year on his contact.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hasler was only part of the problem. His decisions with the roster left a lot to be desired. Case in point being Lichaa and Mbye in the spine for multiple seasons. Not to mention the likes of Williams on huge coin who seemed like he was considered a cornerstone of our pack despite appearing to put in no effort.

But at the end of the day the old board allowed those decisions to go through.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Des isn't a Bulldog and probably has something to do with a culture shift (that doesn't mean in a negative way) but the reason we're in this mess is Dib and Castle wanted to jump the gun on playing to a higher salary cap before it was official. People can say Des orchestrated the back ended contracts but this would never of happened to this extent if he wasn't told to play to a higher salary cap. You can't be competitive with a roster that's really multiple million under the salary cap that's why whoever took over was going to "fail" (I think finishing 12th last year was extraordinary). I really find it hard to blame Des and I believe he's more caught in the crossfire. Des is the best coach we've had since the 2004 grand final. Unless there's something behind the scenes that hasn't been revealed to the public I think JT's wrong on this one, he's going after the wrong people.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sick of people suggesting it’s an easy fix, just get Bellamy or Bennett. It’s not going to happen, why would either of them contemplate tarnishing their legacy/record by taking on our mess at this stage of their lives.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can’t believe I’m agreeing with BradyK but at the end of the day Des bosses ie Dib and Raelene allowed this to happen

Des asked the questions no doubt but at any time they could have said ‘No’

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really think this Barrett thing is smoke and mirrors
Board cant risk going for a low profile coach, i think Flanagan is on the radar
It's all good and well to say we need a Bennett or Bellamy type of coach. The problem is that aside from those two there aren't any others around except for Hasler. Then of course there is Flanagan... He really built that sharks squad up over the years nevermind the whole peptides scandal. And he did it with a dud halfback in Townsend, a bit like us in 2012.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Letting Thurston and Cook has been our biggest retention mistakes

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Well done JT! Been sitting on that for a while, bet it felt good to finally say it.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hold on, Des Hasler is the reason why we're in this mess now? I never would've guessed it. That's very informative of you JT, thanks mate ;)