John Morris

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps he doesn’t need them? Maybe he is able to get the best out of the 17 at his disposal...

You have to question the capacity of any coach who can’t “coach” the players to some level of improvement...

Signing a whole a bunch of players with an open cheque book is easy...perhaps even lazy?
lol, agree to disagree.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good to see Shaun Johnson thinks it’s ridiculous also. He’s 100% behind Morris, I like that..!!

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
lol, agree to disagree.
I don’t necessarily disagree with you.

My point is, it doesn’t really validate Barrett’s coaching cred.

It just tells me that the Bulldogs have a lot of money to throw at players.

Good coaching is about improvement.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t necessarily disagree with you.

My point is, it doesn’t really validate Barrett’s coaching cred.

It just tells me that the Bulldogs have a lot of money to throw at players.

Good coaching is about improvement.
Cant win much with the current crop. You need to spend 95% of the cap. Money needs to be spent, it may aswell be great players like JAC and Burts.

Barrett is looking at prolonged success, success thats sustainable and thats why the board has completely bought in. A club like ours needs that.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Baz didnt sign Cotric. Also I dont see anywhere stating that Baz signed allen purely to be the fullback of the future. We were severely lacking in the backs and still are, signing of Allen is yet to bear fruit but you can't say it failed. Bazil you seem to have a short memory because there is NO WAY that Flanno is hated more than Lachie Lewis right now. Some of the hate Lachie got over the past 2 years doesnt compare.

Also, the difference between having coach like Baz and a coach like Hook is a long term vision. Without evidence, it seems to me Hook is a win now coach, and his tenures never last. Baz has a vision to build our club from the NRL squad all the way down to SG Ball. Thats what we need.
I'm old but my memory is just fine chief, I know Lewis is universally hated on here but not by me as I love the fact he has a fucking go unlike many of the oxygen thieves in the club. Although I never wanted Barrett my opinion about buying more backs has nothing to do with it as I think our biggest problem is the mistaken view attack will fix everything. The is no team ever winning footy games on just the ability of great attacking players.

The space has to be created by winning the middle and we simply aren't. Burton and JAC here now would score some more points but who cares if we score 30 and the opposition score 50. You might win the odd game but premiership teams have always had dominant forwards and win the space for their attacking players to shine.

I hope you are right about Barrett long term for all our sakes because you are completely wrong about Hook.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Cant win much with the current crop. You need to spend 95% of the cap. Money needs to be spent, it may aswell be great players like JAC and Burts.

Barrett is looking at prolonged success, success thats sustainable and thats why the board has completely bought in. A club like ours needs that.
If the board is happy to wait until 2022 (or even 2023?) and simply write off 2021, more power to them. This, however, would be simply unacceptable at most other clubs.

I think “prolonged success” would have been the goal when any coach in the past has been signed (Ryan, Gould, Anderson, Folkes, Kevin Moore, Hasler, Pay...). The current situation should not be any different. This would also be the same at most clubs.

On the other hand, I don’t think clubs sign coaches with a clause to throw in the towel in the first season of their contract under the guise of “rebuilding”...

Fingers crossed it turns around soon and we see some improvement THIS season

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Guarantee that Hook would not sign JAC and Burton.
For sure, we don't sign those two without Baz and there's no way Hook can recruit like Baz. But Hook is a proven good coach known for making an immediate impact.

Either way, I'm just happy we signed those two and hope Baz can turn it around. If not, I'm sure they'd hire an experienced coach like Bennett or Flanagan to try and get us instantly successful.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For sure, we don't sign those two without Baz and there's no way Hook can recruit like Baz. But Hook is a proven good coach known for making an immediate impact.

Either way, I'm just happy we signed those two and hope Baz can turn it around. If not, I'm sure they'd hire an experienced coach like Bennett or Flanagan to try and get us instantly successful.
I think Burton, yes, owing to the Penrith connection with Barrett. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves - he is young and has a long way to go.

Addo-Carr? I think most clubs could snag him at the right price. I would put it down to the dogs have money to spend...

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Burton, yes, owing to the Penrith connection with Barrett. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves - he is young and has a long way to go.

Addo-Carr? I think most clubs could snag him at the right price. I would put it down to the dogs have money to spend...
He signed for $550k, not overs. He chose the Bulldogs, and not necessarily for the money imo.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I wonder if we can get into Braileys ear and he can use the loss of Morris as reason to leave the shire. Has won a few comps with flanno. Would look good in the 9 alongside burton. Instantly fixes our spine and we would be a good fullback away from being elite.

Then all we need is a couple of props and a young centre or winger and we’d be on our way to a top 6 finish.
Been a big advocate for B.Brailey for a while, he is the hooker we need to get the best out of our spine imo

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Regardless, $550k for JAC isnt overs. Tigers and Knights were chasing him but ultimately he chose us.
Yeh probably about the same money - he wanted to come to Sydney. So, really between us and tigers.

Ultimately, tigers are similarly a basket case...

Dogs probably less so - family club etc.

Solely down to Barrett? Debatable

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Morris has left the sharks, here’s hoping a few players may follow him out.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Morris was dudded.
Fitzgibbon could well turn into a very good first grade coach but that’s no way to treat a bloke who made the semis twice and just outside the 8 after 5 rounds in his third year. I know it’s a ruthless business but there’s still a way of treating people who’ve been loyal and performed decently. I don’t blame him for walking.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/13/sharks-to-fast-track-call-on-morris-as-graham-wants-decision/
https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/13/sharks-to-fast-track-call-on-morris-as-graham-wants-decision/

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What's the drunk Brothfields take on this?? Shouldn't he be jumping up and down and baging out his club?

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd be enquiring about Wade Graham and his availability.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Morris was dudded.
Fitzgibbon could well turn into a very good first grade coach but that’s no way to treat a bloke who made the semis twice and just outside the 8 after 5 rounds in his third year. I know it’s a ruthless business but there’s still a way of treating people who’ve been loyal and performed decently. I don’t blame him for walking.

100%

Fitzgibbon is unproven.

Seems he has friends in high places. Just like Barrett.