No Source John Bateman

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No link to us, but he is looking for an nrl return reportably.
He does play left like kikau, but still think he would be great for us.
Thoughts?

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Thoughts?
Played right for raiders didn’t he? And won back rower of the year. Gun player but we need other positions first

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I thought he was massive for Raiders and the best all round second rower in the comp (I even had him above Kikau at the time, and he also won second rower of the year). I wish we signed him before he went back to England but now I don't think we need another second rower, especially before we strengthen other positions.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I do like the look of Morrin, Topine and Tanner. I think a couple of younger forwards would do us well (both for the balancing of the cap and to bring some youth and potential into the team).

But we definitely will struggle to compete with the top 10 with Thompson as our pack leader. Like others have mentioned we probably need 4-5 hard nosed props to win the grind. We dont need high price superstars (Paulo, Fisher Harris etc) but we need players that arent scared to get dirty and push through contact. Otherwise it will be a bit of history repeating itself again......

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We need players in most positions. Outside of Kikau, we have no other second rowers worth mentioning as consistent starters..

If Thompson and/or TPJ are moved on, Bateman would be a huge upgrade and add a lot more to the side. Only problem is you'd have to worry about him being homesick and wanting to leave.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Toia has a big offseason and stays injury free youd almost start him in the 1 for round 1 (or atleast the trials).
At the moment he is the next cab off the rank. If he has a good off season in terms of fitness, skills, and showing promise in possible combos with blokes like Burton and Mahoney, he needs a chance in the trials and maybe a few starts sometime during the season. Give him a few sighters and see what he can do.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At the moment he is the next cab off the rank. If he has a good off season in terms of fitness, skills, and showing promise in possible combos with blokes like Burton and Mahoney, he needs a chance in the trials and maybe a few starts sometime during the season. Give him a few sighters and see what he can do.
I know this is against the grain but unless Gus jags a gun fullback out of the blue I reckon we will go hard for a 7 and give Averillo the off season under CC to have a crack again at fullback. If it works out and he reproduces the form he showed prior to getting Covid or hopefully even better, then its win win for bugger all money. I am far more worried about the 7 and at least 2 more props even like Tamou.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
An article I read mentioned the Tiges surely he wouldn't go there..is signed with Wigan til 2024 so has a 2 year transfer fee hanging over his head too.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need players in most positions. Outside of Kikau, we have no other second rowers worth mentioning as consistent starters..

If Thompson and/or TPJ are moved on, Bateman would be a huge upgrade and add a lot more to the side. Only problem is you'd have to worry about him being homesick and wanting to leave.
According to this article his homesickness was due to covid travel restrictions. With that in the past maybe he changes his tune on playing here?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
According to this article his homesickness was due to covid travel restrictions. With that in the past maybe he changes his tune on playing here?

I read today Bateman spoke to Whitehead and something along the lines of he has unfinished business in the NRL and he's shopping himself around during finals.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read today Bateman spoke to Whitehead and something along the lines of he has unfinished business in the NRL and he's shopping himself around during finals.
I’d love for him to come back. We’d have one of the best backrows in the competition

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thoughts?
I’ve been watching UK Super League and he’s not been in the same form as he was for the Raiders - also, I actually think he’s overrated, we have the best edge runner in the world, I’m happy to spend the money elsewhere… a proven 7 or 1.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let’s be honest, it’s got nothing to do with unfinished business - a) he will earn more here in Australia b) who wouldn’t flee the UK? they’re about to enter the sh!ttest winter in their modern history… they have an energy crisis over there.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We need a:

a) Halfback
b) Prop
c) Fullback (?)

In that order.

Love the way he plays the game. But no - plus, he will be asking for close to a mil.
He would of got 800-850k at as struggling club before he previously left. His value has gone down now.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prop - Tamou, Taupau or Klemmer. People will hate it, but Klemmer is probably closest to Vaughan these days.

Second Row we are right for (as King or RFM can play 80 at lock). With Thompson back next year as well!