John Bateman

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
These two blokes generally shit me but interesting what they say anyway particularly our recruitment

John Bateman's contract standoff with the Canberra Raiders has been slammed as "rotten" and "awful" by NRL greats Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler.

Bateman has been given permission to negotiate with other clubs after seeking an upgrade, from his current $600,000 per season to $800,000 a year over a long-term deal. He is contracted until the end of next season but may well be gone.

"It's an awful look all the way around," Fittler said on Wide World of Sports' Freddy and the Eighth.

"If you have to go and ask for 800, you're not worth 800. If you're getting 800, clubs are giving it to you, they're asking you to come to their club. It's a bad look. Bad look.

"I think he's already on 600 or something as well - it's a pretty good earn."
The England Test forward, 26, wants to stay at the Raiders but has been told by the club that they can't fit an upgrade into their salary cap. Publicly at least, relations between Bateman and Canberra have been amicable, with the Raiders willing to let him go if he can snare a life-changing deal.

Bateman revealed that he had a renegotiation clause despite being contracted until 2021, having arrived in Australia determined to prove himself better than his initial price tag. He insists that he hasn't requested a release, but certainly wants more money.

Despite winning Dally M Second Rower of the Year in his first NRL season, Johns reckons that Bateman may not be in the league's top 10 edge back-rowers.
"I went through some back-rowers ... here's the players in my opinion who are better players than John Bateman," Johns said on Freddy and the Eighth.

"Boyd Cordner, David Fifita, [Viliame] Kikau, Cam Murray. Elliott Whitehead, at the same club. Felise Kaufusi, Angus Crichton, Tyson Frizell, Wade Graham. I think only a couple of those would be on 800.

"I just think it's rotten. But it works both ways.

"If you sign a contract as a player, you play out your contract where you've signed. But also as a club, you take the gamble and sign a player to a long-term contract and something happens where they lose form, they lose interest, they have a fallout with someone, too bad. You've signed a contract."
Fittler said that the impasse seemed strange given Bateman was so popular at the Raiders, who he has described as family. He is close with coach Ricky Stuart.

"It's funny ... when I speak to anyone from Canberra, he's like Sticky's love child," Freddy said. "They reckon the relationship's great."

Johns countered that Bateman's agent, Isaac Moses, was likely an influential factor.

"It's the noise from outside. Someone's in his ear," Johns said. "Who do you reckon it would be?"

Johns urged Bateman to stay put, having played in a grand final with Canberra last season, arguing that he wouldn't be the same player at a weaker club.

He used the example of Kevin Proctor, the Kiwi Test forward who starred at Melbourne but has faded somewhat at Gold Coast; one of the clubs interest in Bateman.

"John, go and talk to Kevin Proctor," Johns said.

"Kevin Proctor was one of the bet back-rowers in the world, playing in a great system with really creative halves who knew how to get him the ball.

"Kevin went to the Titans for more money. I think if you go and talk to Kevin and rewind three or four years what he'd rather do, I'd say cop less [money], play in a better system with better players around him."
Apart from the Titans, the Bulldogs and Dragons have been touted as potential suitors for Bateman. Fittler said that the Bulldogs in particular did not seem like an ideal home.

"I don't see it as a good fit at the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs have 10 of those players, hard-working back-rowers," Fittler said.

"Josh Jackson, Adam Elliott ... they've got a lot of those sort of players.

"The Bulldogs need a star, the Bulldogs need a Kalyn [Ponga]. They need to spend one and a half [million] on a star and there's not that many out there."

Johns agreed.

"If I was the Dogs, I'd be going after a world-class fullback and a world-class halfback, depending on the fitness of Kieran Foran," he said.

"If Kieran breaks down again, then they've got to break the bank and go and buy a world-class half."

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he's on par with most the backrowers Johns named.

As for Angus being named in there, just smh.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
"If I was the Dogs, I'd be going after a world-class fullback and a world-class halfback, depending on the fitness of Kieran Foran," he said.

"If Kieran breaks down again, then they've got to break the bank and go and buy a world-class half."
This is so much easier and said then done. Name some names that are a realistic targets! I think everyone knows that’s what we need but these types of players are rare.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
These stories and rumours just keep doing the rounds,
Let’s enjoy the footy and hope we win a lot of games.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A skewed opinion that Proctor only went to the Tits for money and regrets leaving Melbourne.
They fail to mention he grew up on the Gold Coast and that's more or less home for him since he left NZ as a kid.
There's always more than meets the eye with player decisions as to where they sign.
In Bateman's case he's made it clear it's about money and his want to provide for his daughter during his earning window.
That alone puts us in good stead let alone that he's tight with Sticky and Sticky is mates with Deano.
If he's leaving Canberra we must be in the box seat...

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
One fullback is try for is Rts!!
Ponga aswell.
We tried with turbo, they were never going to leave manly.
Something we’ve been lacking since Benny barba.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ponga aswell.
I just don’t think it’s realistic to think we are going to nab a established superstar. Our best bet will be developing one or taking a risk and offering a big deal (in rookie money terms) for a highly rated untested junior from another club.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
They either don't know the full story or are over simplifying it, as best I know;.
Bateman was on ~$385k last year.
His contract was $560k less $175k representing half of what Canbra paid in transfer fees to get him out of the ESL contract.
That's why he has the clause his NRL contract that he can renegotiate the contract value, not just this year, but every year.
His contract (before renegotiation) for 3 years is ~$1500k or $500k per year average.

Canbra "spent" what they save on him to resign Rapana after they substantially upgraded CNK. They quite possibly don't have even the ~$560k in their Cap to fit him in this year.
So instead of an uplift in his contract Cambra would be looking at a downgrade for this year and quite possibly next year as well.

Because it has a"renegotiate" clause, this year's contract has to be lodged and registered with the NRL, with the original deadline being 30th June (I don't know if that has been extended).
That's why Ricky is "helping" him move on because, like anyone who knows the full story, Bateman is gunna continue to be screwed if he stays.

So fark off Fattler and smokin Joe, it's not as simple as $600k versus $800k.

Go Dogs

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ponga aswell.
RTS would be up there with one of the best signings ever.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I just don’t think it’s realistic to think we are going to nab a established superstar. Our best bet will be developing one or taking a risk and offering a big deal (in rookie money terms) for a highly rated untested junior from another club.
Well, the 2 microphone jockies just told everyone that we have to offer $1.5m a year to sign any decent player. So that's the new benchmark for the players' agents, "Bulldogs need to pay $1.5m".

Go Dogs

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ponga aswell.
Our FB moving forward should be Averilo IMO!!! He has all the attributes of a good half, but the athletic ability of a quality backline player. It's a no brainer for me. Especially if wakeham and or foran or Biondi Odo are our next in line moving forward.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, the 2 microphone jockies just told everyone that we have to offer $1.5m a year to sign any decent player. So that's the new benchmark for the players' agents, "Bulldogs need to pay $1.5m".

Go Dogs
You can see why Freddie didn’t last long as a club coach.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah it’s hard!
Averillo could be the next big thing. (Hopefully)
Young fella from the broncos aswell.
Not sure how Stephen crighton will go at fb for 80minutes he’s a good impact player though.
Hard to find a big star!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's really bizarre to me that all these analysts put so many second rowers over Bateman. I respect their opinions because of who they're and what they've done for the game but for me Bateman is at worst on the same level as all of them except Fifita. You can even make a case that Bateman is more of a team player and competes and does more of the "1%'s" for more of the game than Fifita (who imo is the Latrell of the second row, as a player). I find it hard to see how Bateman isn't going to get 800k somewhere personally (that doesn't mean he's worth 800k, but he's definitely worth something between 600-700k). Another thing that's grinding my gears is the analysts saying he's similar to Jackson. Like seriously? Bateman has all of Jackson's best qualities but is also an attacking threat. The Roosters, who are a top team, if not the best, paid at least that, 800k, for Chrichton. Bateman just got the second rower of the year. I also actually believe that Bateman is doing it for his family and his daughter and you can't hold that against him. No ones really talking about Matterson anymore either (or other players that have done this in the past). As long as it's allowed in the game (and other clubs do it) I want my club to take full advantage of it.

It's also very unlikely that we can pick a top fullback or halfback up without paying overs on overs. I've seen people throwing Ponga's name up but he'd cost us at least 1.3-1.4m. I guess the Dragons did something similar with Bent Hunt.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Our FB moving forward should be Averilo IMO!!! He has all the attributes of a good half, but the athletic ability of a quality backline player. It's a no brainer for me. Especially if wakeham and or foran or Biondi Odo are our next in line moving forward.
He wants to play in the halves and personally I think he looks more suited there, but really if he can handle the defensive side of the fullback role then there's no reason why he couldn't be an elite player there also.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Johns and Fittler. Backrower is one of the positions we actually have some decent depth in.

If Bateman wanted $450k he would be a great buy but spending $800k on him would be bad business. We need creative players and explosive players. I dont really think he is either

The problem is that there is not many world class creative players out there who are looking to change clubs. Korasau was a shitty loss. He would have been great. And our club isnt exactly an attractive proposition at the moment. We probably need someone who has already won a comp and doesnt mind being part of a rebuilding club.

We can forget Ponga, He is about to re-sign with Newcastle. Only other one I could think of would be Munster but he has probably already re-signed too.

So in summary, I have no farkin idea what they can do

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Have to remember that John's and Fittler never had to squabble for extra $$$ as they would have been looked after their whole careers, including now. If what TwinTurbo writes is accurate then that lightens up the discussion a little bit.

I agree with others that he would be sharing the podium in relation to the other back rowers (bar Fafita) so bit harsh there.

All this being said, when is the NRL going to ever fix the player manager scourge? These c*nts are used car salesmen but worse!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree with Johns and Fittler. Backrower is one of the positions we actually have some decent depth in.

If Bateman wanted $450k he would be a great buy but spending $800k on him would be bad business. We need creative players and explosive players. I dont really think he is either

The problem is that there is not many world class creative players out there who are looking to change clubs. Korasau was a shitty loss. He would have been great. And our club isnt exactly an attractive proposition at the moment. We probably need someone who has already won a comp and doesnt mind being part of a rebuilding club.

We can forget Ponga, He is about to re-sign with Newcastle. Only other one I could think of would be Munster but he has probably already re-signed too.

We have a problem if you put Bateman and 450k next to each other.
I think Friend is the hooker you're thinking of. For the money we'd have to throw at Friend I hope we'd have a crack at Brandon Smith (or another contracted hooker, e.g. McInnes) first.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Bateman not explosive or creative..lol bruh.