News John Bateman to ink three-year deal with Wests Tigers

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL Market Watch: John Bateman to ink three-year deal with Wests Tigers
Wests Tigers will unleash a formidable forward pack in 2023, with a superstar Englishman all but locking in his NRL return with the joint-venture.

David RiccioDavid Riccio

The Wests Tigers are in the final stage of signing-off on a deal to bring English International John Bateman back to the NRL.

In a move that could finally drag the Wests Tigers out of the competition cellar, the 29-year-old is eyeing a three-year deal to join a new-look Tigers pack that will include premiership-winning hooker Api Koroisau and Kiwi international Isaiah Papali'I.

On top of the recruitment of Koroisau, Papalii and almost certainly Bateman, the Tigers are also aiming to add both or either David Klemmer or Tyson Frizell from Newcastle to their pack for 2023.

Klemmer is the frontrunner to link with the Tigers - and his acquisition doesn’t require losing halfback Luke Brooks.

The forward pack overhaul could prove defining for the Wests Tigers, who already boast key forwards Stefano Utoikamano, Joe Ofehengaue, Alex Twal and promising prop Fonua Pole.

John Bateman is set to join Wests Tigers next in 2023.

In order to sign Bateman, Wests Tigers senior management have agreed to paying the key forward’s English club, Wigan, a transfer fee, as he still has two years remaining on his Super League contract.

The figure believed to be around $250,000 AUD is paid directly from club to club and would sit outside the Tigers salary cap.

The 29-year-old would return to the NRL with a glowing reputation in the eyes of fans after two quality seasons in the NRL (2019-2020) with Canberra.

Bateman helped transform the Raiders in 2019 with his powerful running game and defensive nous earning him the 2019 Dally M second-rower of the year award.

The recruitment of Bateman has been led by head coach Tim Sheens, who believes the no-nonsense forward will instil genuine steel and leadership to the Tigers.

The Tigers will sign-off on the deal in the coming days.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Potentially a great signing but I reckon they paid through the roof to get him.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
good addition to the Tigers, was massive for the Raiders and from what I saw he was the ultimate competitor, brings x-factor in an unorthodox way too.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didn't Bateman leave due to homesickness?

I might be wrong on that, but I thought thats why he went back.
The Raiders initially paid a release fee in excess of $250k he then asked to go back to England reason was that he wasn't seeing his daughter who must live with the mother back in the UK. So the Raiders accepted his release on compassionate grounds. I'd be dirty if i was Raiders.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Soooo question??

If the Bulldogs wanted another NRL club to take over half a players payments in a transfere deal, could we possibly sweeten the deal by "sending" them to super league to get them off our books and pay them a transfer fee (that also included the players remaining wages on the sly) to ship them to another NRL club straight away.

Easy money for the super league club, player gets his money, other nrl team gets there player for a bargain, dogs Salary cap better off.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeh I thought Bateman at raiders had an option in his favour and just didn't exercise it? 3 year deal and he played 19 and 20. If not he was released a year early.
Good signing for the tigers if he can play like he did before

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dam, great signing. Tigers actually building ok for the year. if they jag Moses following year, back in finals contention

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dam, great signing. Tigers actually building ok for the year. if they jag Moses following year, back in finals contention
Couple of good signings, but its still Tim Ihavntcoachedinyears Sheens and Benji I havenevercoached Marshall at a club that is 5 times the basket case we ever were in the front office..

Moses wont go anywhere unless its a club with a genuine premiership chance without a gun 7..

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL Market Watch: John Bateman to ink three-year deal with Wests Tigers
Wests Tigers will unleash a formidable forward pack in 2023, with a superstar Englishman all but locking in his NRL return with the joint-venture.

David RiccioDavid Riccio

The Wests Tigers are in the final stage of signing-off on a deal to bring English International John Bateman back to the NRL.

In a move that could finally drag the Wests Tigers out of the competition cellar, the 29-year-old is eyeing a three-year deal to join a new-look Tigers pack that will include premiership-winning hooker Api Koroisau and Kiwi international Isaiah Papali'I.

On top of the recruitment of Koroisau, Papalii and almost certainly Bateman, the Tigers are also aiming to add both or either David Klemmer or Tyson Frizell from Newcastle to their pack for 2023.

Klemmer is the frontrunner to link with the Tigers - and his acquisition doesn’t require losing halfback Luke Brooks.

The forward pack overhaul could prove defining for the Wests Tigers, who already boast key forwards Stefano Utoikamano, Joe Ofehengaue, Alex Twal and promising prop Fonua Pole.

In order to sign Bateman, Wests Tigers senior management have agreed to paying the key forward’s English club, Wigan, a transfer fee, as he still has two years remaining on his Super League contract.

The figure believed to be around $250,000 AUD is paid directly from club to club and would sit outside the Tigers salary cap.

The 29-year-old would return to the NRL with a glowing reputation in the eyes of fans after two quality seasons in the NRL (2019-2020) with Canberra.

Bateman helped transform the Raiders in 2019 with his powerful running game and defensive nous earning him the 2019 Dally M second-rower of the year award.

The recruitment of Bateman has been led by head coach Tim Sheens, who believes the no-nonsense forward will instil genuine steel and leadership to the Tigers.

The Tigers will sign-off on the deal in the coming days.

How much did the tigers pay for his overall contract? So much for being homesick from his daughter in England. That’s why he left the Raiders a few years ago. Good player, but getting old.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Odd how the media report doesn't provide a dollar figure value for the contract, they seem to always do so for any player mentioned in relation to us, even the absurd rumours that never happen because they never had a chance to happen...

Hard to see Bateman coming back for less than $800k a season...

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Fuckin oath .. Love seeing the lower teams sign good players. I’m happy for the tigs. Koroisau Bateman Papa can get em out of the bottom 4.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A great signing and not surprising now that Sheens is back at the club, good on them.

Always good when there are multiple successful teams in Sydney and I'm sure not the only one sick of seeing the Rabbits and Roosters get all the attention.