WWOS MOLE John asiata

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was going to titans before fifita signed. Welch possibly to dragons, id think he would suit us nicely

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kasiano without the gut can play longer mins

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL 2020: Eels, Dragons and Bulldogs keen on John Asiata
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
September 16, 2020 12:48pm

Cowboys premiership forward John Asiata is on the lookout for a new home after officially informing North Queensland bosses he is quitting the club.
News Corp can reveal Asiata’s successful seven-season stint with the Cowboys is over as the 27-year-old chases a regular starting position in his preferred No.13 jumper next year.
One of the club’s most popular players, the Cowboys were hopeful of retaining the off-contract Asiata, who was a member of North Queensland’s historic premiership-winning squad in 2015.

But with Dally M sensation Jason Taumalolo entrenched in the lock position at the Cowboys, Asiata was resigned to looking elsewhere in a bid to play a more dominant role.

Cowboys utility John Asiata will quit the club in his quest to secure a regular starting position next season. Picture: Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images
Cowboys utility John Asiata will quit the club in his quest to secure a regular starting position next season. Picture: Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images
Asiata is weighing up interest from several clubs. He has held talks with incoming Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett, while his management has also had dialogue with Parramatta and the Dragons.

The services of the 127-game veteran have also been offered to the Broncos, who have put recruitment-and-retention talks on hold until they finalise a new coach to replace Anthony Seibold.

Teammate Taumalolo lauded the utility value that saw Asiata play a crucial interchange role in North Queensland’s epic grand-final defeat of the Broncos in 2015.

“I am upset that Johnny won’t be playing beside me next year,” Taumalolo said.

John Asiata and Jason Taumalolo have made a dynamic duo in Townsville. Picture: Evan Morgan
John Asiata and Jason Taumalolo have made a dynamic duo in Townsville. Picture: Evan Morgan
“I thought we would play out our careers together.

“I have learned a lot from Johnny, especially in my early years in the NRL. He is extremely professional and sets high standards and encourages everyone to commit to the standards set for the team.

“John also goes out of his way to talk to the young players about their training and he shows the way in his own training and preparation.

“We will miss John‘s leadership on the field as well. He is a calm voice behind the goal line and a guy who always keeps a cool head.”

Asiata is one of the code’s most versatile players, having played prop, second row, lock, five-eighth and halfback for the Cowboys since his NRL debut in 2014.

The Cowboys’ Mr Fixit was linked with the Titans last month, but the Gold Coast have taken up salary-cap space with the purchases of forward trio David Fifita, Herman Ese’ese and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui.

Barrett is said to be a fan of Asiata’s style as the Bulldogs look for experience to haul them out of wooden-spoon territory next season.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Could he play on an edge? Honestly I barely remember seeing him play other than the few time she played in the halves and a couple of appearances off the bench

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
11. Jackson
12. Elliot
13. Asiata
Isn't ideal but better than what we have ATM, signings like Asiata are hard to accept because of Jackson who needs to be moved off the edge

dinga

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Anybody think Asiata would be a good pick up? Could add something to the current one dimensional pack but shouldn’t the priority be forwards who make decent metres?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not a fan. Titans even went with Ese'ese over him. Elliott already does what Asiata would bring, but Elliott does it at faster pace. We need a metre eater prop that isn't one dimensional, has some attacking ability.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Ball plays pretty well. Would be a nice pick up on the cheap. Did anyone watch him play 5/8 a few years back ? The cocksucker legit played better in the halves than Josh Reynolds did in his entire career

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
11. Jackson
12. Elliot
13. Asiata
Isn't ideal but better than what we have ATM, signings like Asiata are hard to accept because of Jackson who needs to be moved off the edge
Jackson with reduced minutes for a range of players Topine , Doorey RFM depending where he is played, Waddell - if true Stimson. We have so many similar style players Asiata is a point of difference. Just my 2 cents.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is this guy agile enough to play on an edge?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't think so, be a defensive liability there also. With Elliot and Jackson his signing creates a roster issue. Bench would be good for him replacing Jackson at lock for decent minutes

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The club should do everything to sign him. He can play a number of positions including halves. Hope we get him.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He was defending on the edge when he played 5/8th and got absolutely torn apart.
I like Asiata but he's not what we need, we need a 1st/2nd tackle power forward who can get us over the advantage line early on in the set and get us on the front foot, Asiata isn't that type of player at all, he's got some good ball playing but is a below average metre eater

Reactions: ATT