Official John Asiata joins the Bulldogs

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking Averillo in the the centers ,BBO in the halves, Schoup bench.

Yeah ok after giving averillo a full season worth of experience playing in the halves, Swap him for a player thats got like 5 first grade games to his name and none in the halves.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not going to judge his value to the team before he gets the chance to provide any. Big Ava was written off by enough people in here before he played and he won over plenty of fans. Hopefully Asiata is another surprise packet who earns everyones respect.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah ok after giving averillo a full season worth of experience playing in the halves, Swap him for a player thats got like 5 first grade games to his name and none in the halves.
As you know and I know and everybody on this Forum keeps saying, Averillo is not the answer to partner Burton in the halves, Averillo got a lot of time in the halves this season but not a full season ( as you say ). He was swapped around with , Lewis, Flannagan, Wakem & BBO because we were looking for someone better especially towards the end of the season when Gus came on board, So unless they buy an experienced halfback it will probably be between Averillo and BBO. However seeing that they already seem to have plans for the Dummy Half position by bringing in Cook, and if they do buy a halfback, Then where are you going to slot in Averillo, BBO ?. Averillo is very versatile and can cover a few different positions, His faster and more elusive than Schoup and played Center in junior league so that's why they will probably play him in the center, Also should a half, fullback or winger get injured or suspended he is already on the field for a reshuffle. (My opinion) .

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking Averillo in the the centers ,BBO in the halves, Schoup bench.
I think teams should not carry a centre or winger on the bench. It’s a waste of space. The utility you carry on the bench needs to be able to play at least 2-3 positions in my view

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think teams should not carry a centre or winger on the bench. It’s a waste of space. The utility you carry on the bench needs to be able to play at least 2-3 positions in my view
I don't know if you read my post after the one you replied to, but that was the point I was trying to make about Playing Averillo as a center next year because he has the pace to keep up with the likes of Naden, Burton, Dufty, JAC & Cotric also he can cover other positions should there be a an injury or sinbin on the field to other key players from 1 to 7, he would be perfect to go into a reshuffle to handle any of these positions. I believe Averillo played most of his Junior football at Center so he can handle the position and we would have a perfectly good utility player already on the field thus saving bench space.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As you know and I know and everybody on this Forum keeps saying, Averillo is not the answer to partner Burton in the halves, Averillo got a lot of time in the halves this season but not a full season ( as you say ). He was swapped around with , Lewis, Flannagan, Wakem & BBO because we were looking for someone better especially towards the end of the season when Gus came on board, So unless they buy an experienced halfback it will probably be between Averillo and BBO. However seeing that they already seem to have plans for the Dummy Half position by bringing in Cook, and if they do buy a halfback, Then where are you going to slot in Averillo, BBO ?. Averillo is very versatile and can cover a few different positions, His faster and more elusive than Schoup and played Center in junior league so that's why they will probably play him in the center, Also should a half, fullback or winger get injured or suspended he is already on the field for a reshuffle. (My opinion) .

They persisted with averillo that tells me theyre trying to develop him into a 7, Experience is important i cant see them starting again with a less experienced player after giving him so many games at 7 trying to teach him the role.

Baz is clearly trying to develop averillo into a jerohme hughes type halfback.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Jeeeezzzzuuusss, Calm down people minimum wage one year deal,he doesn't need to be world beater and he can fill in multiple positions and is an experienced first grader unlike the multitude of fucking park footballers we have had playing for us in recent time's. Gus is building a complete squad and getting value for money,we have not had that for the last ten year's. Trust the process and don't be so dramatic............................................I am looking at you Marly

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Like it or not people Averillo will be our halfback next year Baz likes him there.
It can work he's not Cleary/Reynolds Baz just needs to change his structure to have 2 running five-eighths.
Averillo has some xfactor i think we can all say he has improved over the year with his defense.

With Asiata coming in i think Baz will have him in the 13 for a ball playing lock to take the pressure off our halves.
With the change of halves at the end of the year i think Gus just wanted to have a look at them and give them a chance to press their case.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is better than half the team and a better half than we have now.
Wouldn't be to hard to be abetter half than what we had for a few years now.
I would much rather play Asiata than Flanagan at half.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if you read my post after the one you replied to, but that was the point I was trying to make about Playing Averillo as a center next year because he has the pace to keep up with the likes of Naden, Burton, Dufty, JAC & Cotric also he can cover other positions should there be a an injury or sinbin on the field to other key players from 1 to 7, he would be perfect to go into a reshuffle to handle any of these positions. I believe Averillo played most of his Junior football at Center so he can handle the position and we would have a perfectly good utility player already on the field thus saving bench space.
Sorry missed that post. But yes you’re right, Averillo though already on the field can be used as the utility player if needed

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
You'd think that worse case Averillo off the bench. I'd hope he could learn fullback cause Dufty isn' the answer there which we will see pretty quickly in the season when his defensive reads lead to losses we didn't have to have. That he can cover a whole lot of spots is a blessing. I'd like to see if we could bring in someone like Ash Taylor on a small contract at least for a season while we work out the rest of the team. We have depth. Just need to work out where everybody fits in.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I know he is only new to FG but i'd boot Stimson out Patolo in on the bench assuming he trains the house down this summer, with Paul Vaughan to show one of his benefits to the Dog's by taking him under his wing so to speak and helping develop the kid.
the more quality players, players coming from better systems like FOX and Burton, hopefully all the players improve from the back of that.