Official John Asiata joins the Bulldogs

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I like the signing. We have nothing to lose as he would be on low $$ and only a one year signing. If he can add value to the team, great, if not , he is only here for a year on minimum salary

I think moving forward once Gus gets the salary cap in shape we will have a few of these type of signings within our top 30. Players with first grade experience that we can get good value from.

We can't have a squad full of high paid stars and youngsters with no experience. Every club has these "journeymen" that don't cost too much but have plenty of first grade experience who can do the job when called on

Bonus is he is a ball player which should give us more options in attack

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me thinks this will be another dud
Signing like
Cotric,Waffell,flip again and alien
They all play like there out of this world
Hard pass we have enough

yearofthedogs2018

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not too bad if at a smaller contract maybe about half of Elliot's contract. Thought he was older 30+ but only 28 still should have some good years left in him. Would expect him to be a middle forward on the bench and with Hetherington looking like moving to an edge not a bad option.

Pack for next looks like

Vaughn
JMK/Cook
Thompson
Hetherington
TPJ
Jackson

Bench
Ava
Asiata
RFM

Patolo would be the next middle forward for suspensions/injuries. Maybe by end of year he may have leap frogged Ava or Asiata.

Have I missed anyone?
Not that I think he will be in the top 17 but I think Topine is next in line for forwards after Patolo. Topine will probably be fighting it out for the utility position with BBO/Averillo/JMK/Cook though.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Love this signing but please dear god this doesnt mean Jacko goes to an edge.

It'll be tough but I think Jacko should be moved to a prop bench rotation role and have Thommo VC to deal with captain duties for the first 20-25 mins.

Imagine this pack...

8 Thompson
9 Cook
10 Vaughan
11 TPJ
12 Hetherington
13 Asiata

14 BBO
15 Patolo/Ava/Tuifua - let them battle it out
16 Jackson
17 RFM

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

It'll be tough but I think Jacko should be moved to a prop bench rotation role and have Thommo VC to deal with captain duties for the first 20-25 mins.

Imagine this pack...

8 Thompson
9 Cook
10 Vaughan
11 TPJ
12 Hetherington
13 Asiata

14 BBO
16 Jackson
17 Topine
Jacko was our best player this year no chance he's on the bench. I also think his edge days are over and he's not a prop so the only position he can play is lock. Asiata will be a benchie at best (RFM out so he'll probably be there now).

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he's on close to minimum wage as a back-up/depth option (as a prop?) I'm okay with this. If he gets an opportunity due to injuries/suspensions in the future and takes that opportunity then I don't mind him being in the 17. At this stage I don't see him as being in our best 17 tho and I hope Barrett doesn't try to force him in like he did with past recruits around this level of player.
He has been signed for 1 year, so theres no way we are paying much.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think the 1 year contract is perfect for us..
He will fight for a new contract wherever,all season..
There is no way we would have got Peachey on a 1yr deal..and definitely no where near the same coin..
Ok Peachey is a better player,but John can do a similar job for less risk

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If only Gould was around last year - we might have done shorter deals with players like Flanno and Allen. He's either making players prove they are worth keeping or there's a bigger plans for 2023, time will tell.

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Anyone think he could even be a bench rotation at hooker to help ease young Cook into the role next season,good passing game and good defender in the middle-thoughts?

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about no? TK is targetting me now that Nasheed is gone even when I spit facts.
LOL you poor bastard. Mate I think you're a target because of the Paul Kent "always negative about everything attitude" you have. We occasionally need some optimism on here....even if it's not likely to happen (such as signing B.Smith for next year).

Where the fuck is Nasheed anyway? It's been more than 30 days so he must be out of TK jail by now. It's more fun picking on Nasheed anyway so when he's back you can relax. I miss his casual racism and his rubbish threads

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Imagine this pack...

8 Thompson
9 Cook
10 Vaughan
11 TPJ
12 Hetherington
13 Asiata

14 BBO
16 Jackson
17 Topine
Definitely won’t be starting