Official Joe Stimson joins the Bulldogs on a 3 year deal

rand0m3r

Since 1994
Reaction score
3 years from 2020.

what do you guys think? my initial reaction is that he's more of what we already have, a decent forward but without much flair or aggression. we really need to sort out our #9 first, and then centres.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Makes no sense to me, why are we spending what little cap space we have on another forward.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like him. As much as we need to prioritise other positions, we can't ignore Martin and RFM are on their way out so we need to cover those positions.

I'm a fan of both RFM and Martin, but simple fact is neither have pushed their claim strong enough to be starting first graders.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Makes absolutely zero sense.
While Stimson might prove to be a good buy, with his injury history and our lack of depth in literally every other position this signing just mystefies me.
If RFM and Martin are on the way out, then yes I can see the need for an edge back rower. Surely our need for a decent centre, hooker or middle forward would have taken priority over this signing.
The club better have some good signings in key positions on the way.

doggy bill

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I like him. As much as we need to prioritise other positions, we can't ignore Martin and RFM are on their way out so we need to cover those positions.

I'm a fan of both RFM and Martin, but simple fact is neither have pushed their claim strong enough to be starting first graders.
Martin being close to our best forward isn't pushing his claims strong enough? He should be first picked, unless there is something else going on behind the scenes.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Martin being close to our best forward isn't pushing his claims strong enough? He should be first picked, unless there is something else going on behind the scenes.
I really do like him, but he has no impact in a game whatsoever. Even his goal-kicking has turned to shit!

Being close to our best forward isn't saying much either. lol

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We haven't even seen Morgan Harper get a taste in 1st grade yet he captain's our CC side at just 21 when you consider there some decent names in there and you want to replace him with 2 useless no body's one playing in q cup and can't get a start in titans back line and the other is a nuffie from manly who has had 2 good games in his career
hahahahaha this is exactly what I was thinking.
Brenko Lee? Brad Parker?? WTF?!

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes absolutely zero sense.
While Stimson might prove to be a good buy, with his injury history and our lack of depth in literally every other position this signing just mystefies me.
If RFM and Martin are on the way out, then yes I can see the need for an edge back rower. Surely our need for a decent centre, hooker or middle forward would have taken priority over this signing.
The club better have some good signings in key positions on the way.
RFM gone to Dragons immediate switch.

Although I wouldve preferred to trade Elliot, we all know it wasnt going to happen under Pay's watch.
BUT, it would free up a spot in our top 30 for a mid season signing......

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And even if there is...what self respecting nrl player would be blindly following Pay's tactics and biased selections? CHN wants out. RFM wants out. Reimus looks like he wants out. The rest are keeping their heads down and coasting till pay day.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If we release a player, say a prop/2nd rower, we can get Stimson before 30 June. Which prop/2nd rower?

Go Dogs

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we release a player, say a prop/2nd rower, we can get Stimson before 30 June. Which prop/2nd rower?

Go Dogs
RFM to Dragons but Melbourne wont release Stimson this year

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me guess...Stimson is the big gun player Payout wants to build the team around

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The longer we keep Pay at the helm the longer our rebuild takes. If he is looking at getting rid of RFM, CHN and Martin and replacing with guys like Smith and Stimson then we will be tied to those players for years. I bet a new coach will look at our forward pack without CHN and RFM and say where are the offloads and skill. Instead we have six toilers. Jackson, Tolman, Elliot, Stimson and Smith = Toilers. On top of that we have no hooker.

This is turning into a circus act. I haven't seen it any worse in the 40 plus years I have been following.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Because he is better than the 3 props/2nd rowers we have that are off contract at season end.

Go Dogs
Martin playing with confidence instilled by the coach offers more...to this roster than Stimson. But yes better than Danny and Tualau.

Coach needs to get the best out of his roster.

Pay wants the easy way out and due to lack of coaching skill, wants fresh blood to mould.

This turnover of players who show skill which is not developed, has to stop. It's been a feature of "the family club" for some time.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And who would this new incoming coach be?
I honestly believe they have a plan in place for a certain coach, but it is only a hunch on who.
There is a rumor that Pay's extension was offered and will only be triggered by some results markers if he achieves them. I've heard this a few times, on radio I think - I cant remember.
The board are still playing the "Blame everything on the previous board" card for as long as they can.
When they sack Pay or don't re sign him they will remind us that he was hired by the previous board & not by them, but they gave him ample opportunity to prove himself... It just wasn't working & the club is moving in a different direction.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good signing, Storm have pilfered some of our players so it’s about time we did the same to them