Official Joe Stimson joins the Bulldogs on a 3 year deal

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The word around is that Rhys Martin and Dean Pay keep butting heads. Therefore, Martin off contract and won't be re signed & Stimpson will take his spot. The recruitment drive is all about good value, young good players. Stimpson 23 & Martin 26.

RFM has one year left on contract to do something otherwise I'm guessing he's gone too. I think RFM might end up in the middle, he's big enough.

I also believe that they are leaving the cap as free as possible for the new incoming coach who will bring with him really good young players.
And who would this new incoming coach be?

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why the fuck would we get another back rower I have never even heard of this bloke who cares if he is from Melbourne it would have been good if they said we had signed Cameron Munster all josh ado acar
Brainiac Pay is following Brainiac Nathan Brownstains philosophy...sign anyone from a top 4 team no matter who they are or how good they are. A very intelligent human that Dean Pay.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I haven't seen Stimson play. But if he's coming at the right price and is solid or better I couldn't care. It's still too soon to think we're finished with our recruiting.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Stimson is a solid player who is a handy signing. But it's hard to get excited until other players in positions of need are signed.

It's especially frustrating seeing players like Robson and Drinkwater get snapped up when both would have been perfect signings.

I'm sick of other clubs out recruiting us and getting the 6th or 7th best available player from the club they're leaving as a consolation. Hopefully better news is coming....

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Welch I could get behind.... but FFS WE DO NOT NEED MORE BACK ROWERS!!!

Unless club is preparing for Life After Jackson.

upload_2019-6-3_23-50-41.png

COUNTRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just like Adam Elliott... and ... drum roll please..

DEAN PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stimson is a solid player who is a handy signing. But it's hard to get excited when Drinkwater and Welch were available and would have been far better purchases. I'm sick of other clubs out recruiting us and getting the 6th or 7th best available player from the club they're leaving as a consolation.
It's easy to see why we are in the ladder position we are when we keep signing the rejects from other clubs in positions we don't need to bolster.

Talk about wasting cap space.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kallum watkins is available now per leeds rhinos. Hes getting on but would be a better target to bolster the backline
I watched a few of his games this year he has been really average since coming back from injury but in saying that Leeds have been shit only 28 and coming out here mite be what he needs to give his career the restart it needs also a good goal kicker as well

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve tried to be realistic given our limited funds. Tell me if I’m dreaming. Feel free to list your signings...

Off contract

Olive - replace with Sosai Feki
Katoa- re-sign to Development contract
Harper - replace with Brenko Lee or Brad Parker
Brown - replace with Scott Drinkwater
Lichaa - replace with Jayden Brailey
Martin - re-sign
Fualalo - re-sign
Tualau - replaced with Joe Stimpson
Sadler - replace with Christian Welch

Dean Britt - sign him to development contract
We haven't even seen Morgan Harper get a taste in 1st grade yet he captain's our CC side at just 21 when you consider there some decent names in there and you want to replace him with 2 useless no body's one playing in q cup and can't get a start in titans back line and the other is a nuffie from manly who has had 2 good games in his career

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
We haven't even seen Morgan Harper get a taste in 1st grade yet he captain's our CC side at just 21 when you consider there some decent names in there and you want to replace him with 2 useless no body's one playing in q cup and can't get a start in titans back line and the other is a nuffie from manly who has had 2 good games in his career
Katoa and Tass are currently better options than Harper.

Does one good thing then 2 completely mind blowingly dumb things.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Katoa and Tass are currently better options than Harper.

Does one good thing then 2 completely mind blowingly dumb things.
Okunbor was pretty average in reggies too and improved in first grade. Given he still has some wtf moments but he has improved. I dont see why we cant give harper a shot we have got nothing to lose at present

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is wishful thinking but players with contracts for 2020 such as Elliot? hopoate? tolman? etc could seek releases for longer contracts elsewhere even if 2020 they play for less - need to secure futures etc. Toilers like them would be ok in sides such as titans, manly, parra -just as long as they are not in the one side. Would help to free up some cash.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
knowing dudpay he is gonna replace martin with him

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is wishful thinking but players with contracts for 2020 such as Elliot? hopoate? tolman? etc could seek releases for longer contracts elsewhere even if 2020 they play for less - need to secure futures etc. Toilers like them would be ok in sides such as titans, manly, parra -just as long as they are not in the one side. Would help to free up some cash.
Our problem is simple. We have exactly what Pay wants...we have a team full of hard working players who bust their asses each game but have no actual skill or talent (except a few). This means we will never do more than grind out a win or be competitive. Pay needs to stop being nostalgic and be progressive and contemporary like the rest of the coaches. In fact the downfall of the whole club is our urge to be back in the 80’s-90’s. Nostalgia is nice but it’s not realistic and it’s limiting our ability to advance as a club in the modern era. We don’t want to be back in the 80’s-90’s we want to be the new modern Bulldogs. No American sporting franchise lives in the past, they seek to dominate the present and the future in all ways. Nostalgia is nothing more than a mental disorder for people with daddy or mummy issues. Be an adult and move on with the times. Our board and coaches are all child like.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its official now

Joe Stimson to join the Bulldogs on a three year deal

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have added to their forward strength by signing talented second-rower Joe Stimson for the next three seasons, keeping him at Belmore until the end of the 2022 season.

23 year-old Stimson made his debut for the Melbourne Storm in 2017 and has currently made 40 NRL appearances, including last season's Grand Final loss to the Sydney Roosters.

His big game experience will be a valuable addition to a young Bulldogs pack.

Coach Dean Pay was delighted at getting someone of Stimson's ability to the Bulldogs:

"Although he is still only 23, Joe has already got some big-game experience under his belt with the Storm and we feel that he will be a great addition to our forwards. We have a very young side in terms of age and NRL games, so to add someone with Joe's talent and winning attitude will be a big boost for us moving forward and I know that everyone is excited about what he can bring."

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/06/04/joe-stimson-to-join-the-bulldogs-on-a-three-year-deal/

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t know too much about this guy to be honest,just feels like another average purchase
The board is skating on thin ice if we don’t see 2 quality contracts this year
Have to be either centre,half or hooker

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We have 3 props/back rowers off contract this year being Fualalo, Martin and Tualau. IMHO Stimson is a pretty good replacement for whoever of those 3 doesn't perform for the rest of this season. FWIW Martin's goal kicking is at 70.6% so far this season.

Go Dogs

Last edited: