Job Interview Advice

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hand model? My hands are too rugged and masculine to be models. These babies have held a lot, been painted on, super-glued together and everything in between - including squeezing lemons. And there's no sexual references there, I literally mean squeezing firm, hard lemons so the rich liquid oozes from them for human consumption.

Oh yeah, there is nothing like squeezing nice hard lemons :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Who's with me???
I'd rather squeeze melons

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Ok my friends so I didn't get the job. There was a point in the interview towards the end when they said that they have a lot of interviews today (for that same position) and I didn't think I did that badly - at least I hope I didn't. I'm just hoping they found someone who aced the interview. The better person got the job. It was their day and luck was on their side, and I wish that person all the best in the role - God was looking out for them and it was in the script, and who knows, they probably needed it more than I do. God bless them.

I asked for feedback though just for future interviews.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Having being the interviewer in the last few years of my life- here are some tips I would give:

• Be on time. Be super on time. Note that some places have heavy security, so there could be a sign in process. This is key for the next point.
  • The interview starts at the handshake, and specifically the questions that surround the greetings. For example - One question I always like to ask is "Did you have any difficulties finding the place"... if they were late (see point 1) and reply "No it was easy.." - for me the interview is virtually over. You found it easy to get here, but you were still late? Alarm bells are ringing.
  • When it comes to answer questions - there are multiple pillars or strategies for this (STAR etc). Ill leave you to research
  • One thing I will add - when giving your answers - DO NOT BE A VOID FILLER. A void filler is someone who speaks for the sake of speaking. If you have answered the question, leave it. Speaking for the sake of speaking shows nervousness, and signs for being a "bee in every bonnet" type of persona. Silence in an interview is not a bad thing.
  • I don't personally care if you take time to answer a question, as long as you answer it.
  • Expect to be probed on your answers, if they do not fit the questions correctly, or it is believed there is critical information missing.
  • Don't be generic with your answers. Give specific moments of your experience, where you utilized or completed a task that would fit with the question being asked. DO NOT USE HYPOTHETICALS. "I would do this, this is how I would approach that situation",

Just to share with you an interview that happened about 2 years ago. The person was late, by about 15 minutes. No apology. Had no issues finding the place. Security passed her through within a few minutes, so they were not the reason for the delay. She interviewed fantastically, but the fact she was late was eating at me. So, in a very unprecedented fashion, we took it to a second interview - with a twist. There actually was no second interview, although we told her there was.

All she had to do was show up on time, and we would give her the job, no second interview required..... She was 20 minutes late this time.

Met her at reception, said this was actually a test. You interviewed well, but we cannot have people late time and time again, given the nature of work.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Having being the interviewer in the last few years of my life- here are some tips I would give:

• Be on time. Be super on time. Note that some places have heavy security, so there could be a sign in process. This is key for the next point.
  • The interview starts at the handshake, and specifically the questions that surround the greetings. For example - One question I always like to ask is "Did you have any difficulties finding the place"... if they were late (see point 1) and reply "No it was easy.." - for me the interview is virtually over. You found it easy to get here, but you were still late? Alarm bells are ringing.
  • When it comes to answer questions - there are multiple pillars or strategies for this (STAR etc). Ill leave you to research
  • One thing I will add - when giving your answers - DO NOT BE A VOID FILLER. A void filler is someone who speaks for the sake of speaking. If you have answered the question, leave it. Speaking for the sake of speaking shows nervousness, and signs for being a "bee in every bonnet" type of persona. Silence in an interview is not a bad thing.
  • I don't personally care if you take time to answer a question, as long as you answer it.
  • Expect to be probed on your answers, if they do not fit the questions correctly, or it is believed there is critical information missing.
  • Don't be generic with your answers. Give specific moments of your experience, where you utilized or completed a task that would fit with the question being asked. DO NOT USE HYPOTHETICALS. "I would do this, this is how I would approach that situation",

Just to share with you an interview that happened about 2 years ago. The person was late, by about 15 minutes. No apology. Had no issues finding the place. Security passed her through within a few minutes, so they were not the reason for the delay. She interviewed fantastically, but the fact she was late was eating at me. So, in a very unprecedented fashion, we took it to a second interview - with a twist. There actually was no second interview, although we told her there was.

All she had to do was show up on time, and we would give her the job, no second interview required..... She was 20 minutes late this time.

Met her at reception, said this was actually a test. You interviewed well, but we cannot have people late time and time again, given the nature of work.
I am very surprised/shocked (especially in Australia where we pride punctuality),that someone would turn up 15 minutes late with no excuse / apology.

Wahesh

Reaction score

Oh mate I'm always punctual. I arrive at the interview about 15 mins beforehand just in case there are train delays etc - and this is just to the office itself. I like to arrive at the closest train station about 30 mins beforehand. Then I take my time walking to place, be nice and calm, fix myself up, and just take it easy. I'm always punctual. That's rule #1 in an interview.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh mate I'm always punctual. I arrive at the interview about 15 mins beforehand just in case there are train delays etc - and this is just to the office itself. I like to arrive at the closest train station about 30 mins beforehand. Then I take my time walking to place, be nice and calm, fix myself up, and just take it easy. I'm always punctual. That's rule #1 in an interview.
I think as you have mentioned there, being early is as much about slowing yourself down, and relaxing etc as it is being punctual.

Especially in the warmer months. You don't want to have yo run to make your train and then sweating like a pig.

Weird saying that: sweating like a pig. Pigs do have sweat glands, but they don't really sweat much.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I think as you have mentioned there, being early is as much about slowing yourself down, and relaxing etc as it is being punctual.

Especially in the warmer months. You don't want to have yo run to make your train and then sweating like a pig.

Weird saying that: sweating like a pig. Pigs do have sweat glands, but they don't really sweat much.
Exactly - especially considering the men need to wear tie and jackets to their interviews. So damn unfortunate for us.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Punctuality isn't something I'm terribly good at. To be honest it stems from anxiety issues.

If I'm running really late for something, I'm anxious / panicking.
If I'm too early I start to get fidgety and get anxious.

@JayBee Out of interest have you ever interviewed someone with anxiety/depression, or whose been the victim of workplace harassment that has scared them off work a little? How did you handle that and any advice for how the interviewee should approach such issues?

Wahesh

Reaction score
Punctuality isn't something I'm terribly good at. To be honest it stems from anxiety issues.

@JayBee Out of interest have you ever interviewed someone with anxiety/depression, or whose been the victim of workplace harassment that has scared them off work a little? How did you handle that and any advice for how the interviewee should approach such issues?
I know that interviewers usually expect a lot of interviewee's to be nervous and try to over-look that and concentrate on the interview itself and the content of what they're saying, not the delivery. As for harassment, that's more of a legal/HR issue for those employed by the company.

I remember one role I applied for, I arrived as usual 15 mins early. I was waiting in the lobby for someone to come and grab me, and I was nice and calm. This lady comes and introduces herself and then immediately says to me "Ok calm down, let's go up." - immediately telling me to calm down when I was already calm actually made me anxious :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Just remember this job wasn't for you, either something good will happen at your current job, or a better job will come up after Christmas.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Hey mate.

Nothing of that ilk as of yet. I have interviewed many people who were VERY visibly shaken, or nervous. Just allowing them to take their time, offer them water, and just give them that positive reinforcement where required.

I could give a hypothetical about what I WOULD do.. but that would be hypocritical :P

Wahesh

Reaction score
Advised my boss of my resignation this morning. Bloody hell, my legs were jelly, I was nervous lol. How is it that I have nerves of steel when it comes to job interviews but a nervous wreck when resigning?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Advised my boss of my resignation this morning. Bloody hell, my legs were jelly, I was nervous lol. How is it that I have nerves of steel when it comes to job interviews but a nervous wreck when resigning?
Still in government or moving to private sector?

Or are you leaving work to become a social media influencer?

Wahesh

Reaction score
Still in government or moving to private sector?

Or are you leaving work to become a social media influencer?
Still in Government mate. I’ve worked in the private sector before... I winded up getting grinded the shit out of, unappreciated, and on minimum wage. No desire whatsoever to go back!

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
You know what? It's a never-ending story with me. And it always happens in November.

So if anyone here follows the R U OK thread, you might remember that a few months ago I was on the edge of being turfed. I had the right to appeal the turfing, and I was successful. What this means however is that they managed to find me another job internally so I'll be reporting to another manager. On Monday, there will be a meeting with me, my current manager and future manager to sort the next steps out.

This process took 2+ months to come to a head. Naturally during that time, I started applying for other roles. One of the roles I applied for was internal. I was advised yesterday via email that I've been called up for an interview on Friday for this job I applied for. Just now, I was called in to go in for an interview at Parra-FUCKING-matta for another job I foolishly applied for.

So...

Friday: Interview internally for another role (higher grade)
Monday: Internal transfer discussion
Tuesday: Interview at Parramatta.

No one knows that I've applied for this job at Parramatta, and the only reason I applied for it was because I thought I would be out of work and was willing to work there.

I'm very grateful that I have a job and an interview, but how on Earth can I justify going to that interview at Parramatta to my current/future manager given I took flex days off this past Friday and Monday - if I take a sickie it will look at bit suss after our meeting on Monday.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You know what? It's a never-ending story with me. And it always happens in November.

So if anyone here follows the R U OK thread, you might remember that a few months ago I was on the edge of being turfed. I had the right to appeal the turfing, and I was successful. What this means however is that they managed to find me another job internally so I'll be reporting to another manager. On Monday, there will be a meeting with me, my current manager and future manager to sort the next steps out.

This process took 2+ months to come to a head. Naturally during that time, I started applying for other roles. One of the roles I applied for was internal. I was advised yesterday via email that I've been called up for an interview on Friday for this job I applied for. Just now, I was called in to go in for an interview at Parra-FUCKING-matta for another job I foolishly applied for.

So...

Friday: Interview internally for another role (higher grade)
Monday: Internal transfer discussion
Tuesday: Interview at Parramatta.

No one knows that I've applied for this job at Parramatta, and the only reason I applied for it was because I thought I would be out of work and was willing to work there.

I'm very grateful that I have a job and an interview, but how on Earth can I justify going to that interview at Parramatta to my current/future manager given I took flex days off this past Friday and Monday - if I take a sickie it will look at bit suss after our meeting on Monday.
With all the time you spend on the Kennel I don't know how you get any work done, let along go for interviews.

But seriously, the potential employer should be able to meet you outside hours, or at least at the start or end of the day. I wouldn't expect a potential employee who is currently employed to take time off in the middle of the day to come to my office for an interview.

Wahesh

Reaction score
With all the time you spend on the Kennel I don't know how you get any work done, let along go for interviews.

But seriously, the potential employer should be able to meet you outside hours, or at least at the start or end of the day. I wouldn't expect a potential employee who is currently employed to take time off in the middle of the day to come to my office for an interview.
I agree mate but these freaking idiots did that. It was all lunchtime slots as well. I don’t mind going to interviews during regular hours provided they are either early (8-9am) or late 4pm - not I the middle of the damn day.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Never had a job interview and I’m 35
Prolly will never have one, so can’t help one bit lol

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fake it till you make it :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Wahesh

Reaction score
Well in case anyone was wondering, I got the job I applied for internally that required me to go to the interview on a Friday, so I'm happy with that. They let me know within a week that I got it.

I didn't get the job at Parramatta (which is just as well as it was a lower grade and I wouldn't have accepted it), but given it took them 4 weeks to get back to me about my application, that's actually a vision into how they operate - which doesn't appear to be very professional. I also nailed the interview, so I reckon they had somebody internally in mind who was acting in the role and they were always going to pick and only invited me to the interview to ensure that they were compliant with hiring policy.