Job Interview Advice

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hello friends,

On the weekend I put in a half-arsed application in for a job. Honestly, I didn't expect anything to come from this, but I've been shortlisted for the role. Interviews are expected to take place next week. Should I take an all-day sickie (safe option) to attend the interview, or should I try and be "rambo" and either come in to work late or leave early all spruced up? My managers eye-brows might be raised a bit as to why I'm dressed sharp instead of my usual smart casual.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Just gonthe sickie but try and scope how many interview there will be. I went for one job that had three seperate interviews and it was becoming sus at work.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Let the place know you are currently working and if it is OK to come to the interview in current work attire of smart casual to not arouse suspicion. (you'll feel more comfortable in any case).

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I would always go to work looking sharp and make up an excuse for leaving early.

It keeps your bosses on your toes. When I was in a fairly junior position about 17 years ago, I left in a hurry from work early without telling anyone. A month later I got a 25%-odd pay rise. I found out later that my boss thought I was unhappy at work and was going to an interview... truth was my girlfriend was really sick and I left early to keep her company to score brownie points.

Moral of the story: there is nothing wrong with your employer suspecting that you are looking around (unless you suck at your job and they will be happy to see you go).

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What difference does it make?

You (to current employer): Am I able to leave earlier/come in later on XYZ? I've got a few personal matters to attend to.

You don't need to explain or elaborate. They can give a yes or no and figure it out themselves.

Or even better .. just take a days holiday if you have one spare.

Didn't you have an interview this time last year as well? Not liking the job or can't stay in one position (that's what she said!).

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Take a sickie.
Funny story, I made my previous boss drive me to the interview for the role I'm currently in !
Ahhh, the joys of working for the government.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I would always go to work looking sharp and make up an excuse for leaving early.

It keeps your bosses on your toes. When I was in a fairly junior position about 17 years ago, I left in a hurry from work early without telling anyone. A month later I got a 25%-odd pay rise. I found out later that my boss thought I was unhappy at work and was going to an interview... truth was my girlfriend was really sick and I left early to keep her company to score brownie points.

Moral of the story: there is nothing wrong with your employer suspecting that you are looking around (unless you suck at your job and they will be happy to see you go).
This is good advice.
I used to have the current vacancies page as my home page in my old job.
One day the boss came in and said "Ohhhh, that's not good!" I said "get used to it, Im always looking"

Wahesh

Reaction score
Just gonthe sickie but try and scope how many interview there will be. I went for one job that had three seperate interviews and it was becoming sus at work.
This will only be one interview though not multiple.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The issue you'll encounter is if you chuck a sickie and do good in the interview then they'll probably call your boss the next day for reference which will look about as suss as you can get.

Wahesh

Reaction score
What difference does it make?

You (to current employer): Am I able to leave earlier/come in later on XYZ? I've got a few personal matters to attend to.

You don't need to explain or elaborate. They can give a yes or no and figure it out themselves.

Or even better .. just take a days holiday if you have one spare.

Didn't you have an interview this time last year as well? Not liking the job or can't stay in one position (that's what she said!).
I got no problem leaving early or coming late as my hours are flexible, but just wondering if I should bother coming in at all if I'm wearing a tie and jacket which I don't do normally around here.

Yes I had an interview last year (well 2 of them for 2 different roles). I didn't get either, but I took a sickie on one day, and for the other interview I left early and said I had a personal matter to tend to. I was able to hide my jacket and tie in the other job but nothing to hide them from in this role.

I wouldn't mind staying here but I'm a contractor, and I would love a permanent job even if it means taking a pay cut.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The issue you'll encounter is if you chuck a sickie and do good in the interview then they'll probably call your boss the next day for reference which will look about as suss as you can get.
Putting your current boss as a reference?

5noHKsb_d.jpg

Wahesh

Reaction score
Oh I got my references already - not one from my current company though. That's a very stupid move lol. I always use previous companies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh I got my references already - not one from my current company though. That's a very stupid move lol. I always use previous companies.
I've always used my current companies 'cause I always get glowing reviews from my boss.

Usually in an interview I at least get asked who I'm currently working for. Often they're good though, they'll say, "We won't contact the company if you don't want us to", knowing full well that most people don't inform their company that they're looking for work elsewhere.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I've always used my current companies 'cause I always get glowing reviews from my boss.

Usually in an interview I at least get asked who I'm currently working for. Often they're good though, they'll say, "We won't contact the company if you don't want us to", knowing full well that most people don't inform their company that they're looking for work elsewhere.
Why would they ask you where you're currently working though when you already have that on your CV?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why would they ask you where you're currently working though when you already have that on your CV?
Only if I don't put it down. If I do put it down then they just call the company without asking me. Which was the point I was originally making.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Modern resumes shouldn't list anything to do with references anyway.. Companies will ask if they need them, and ignore it if they don't, so it's all rather superfluous.

Leave them in "Oh you have references".
Leave them out "Do you have references".

Resume is about selling you, and cover letter expressing intrerest and introducing yourself.

At least in my opinion.

I'm interested in this job, and "hey this is me" (Cover Letter), and this is what I've done/can do (Resume).

Likewise the whole idea of a single page resume is far beyond a joke these days. Nobody (unless fresh out of school/uni/college) is going to have a 1 page long resume. I've only worked for a few places before (but lengthy periods), and my resume is just on two pages.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're looking elsewhere your probably not entirely happy at your current job.
Be honest with your boss " look mate your a bit of a **** so im looking for greener pastures and someone less cunty .if you want to tone your cuntness down and slip me a few extra bills on pay day then ill fuck this other interview off. If you don't you just proved me right ......**** "

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Modern resumes shouldn't list anything to do with references anyway.. Companies will ask if they need them, and ignore it if they don't, so it's all rather superfluous.

Resume is about selling you, and cover letter expressing intrerest and introducing yourself.

At least in my opinion.

I'm interested in this job, and "hey this is me" (Cover Letter), and this is what I've done/can do (Resume).

Likewise the whole idea of a single page resume is far beyond a joke these days. Nobody (unless fresh out of school/uni/college) is going to have a 1 page long resume. I've only worked for a few places before (but lengthy periods), and my resume is just on two pages.
Oddly enough most bosses I've talked to about it say that they focus on the cover letter. If the cover letter is good then they'll look at the resume, and if the resume is longer than a page they won't bother.

Wahesh

Reaction score

At least in my opinion.

My CV is currently stretched out to 5 pages. That's because of all those stupid contract jobs I've done over the years. Luckily most jobs I apply for ask for a current cv "no more than 5 pages" so I just make the cut.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Oddly enough most bosses I've talked to about it say that they focus on the cover letter. If the cover letter is good then they'll look at the resume, and if the resume is longer than a page they won't bother.
Yeah they kinda go hand in hand.

Cover letter ... a bit of a kiss up and put in complimentary buzz words (from description) for the job you are applying for.
Resume ... just lists what you've achieved/can do.

At least thats what the consensus is for modern day resume professionals it seems.

Almost impossible to condense a resume to 1 page these days witout leaving something off, if you have worked multiple jobs.