JMK - From steel caps to footy boots in a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Last week, Jeremy Marshall-King was getting the steel cap boots ready. He was preparing to go back to work in demolition.

Then Moses Suli parted ways with the club and the final spot on the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs' 30-man roster opened up.

Now, the younger brother of Wests Tigers poster boy Benji Marshall will trade steel caps for football boots as he prepares to make his club debut for the Bulldogs against premiership-winners Melbourne Storm in Perth.

It will end a week that included him extending his time at Belmore until the end of the 2020 season.

"If I didn't get that spot I would have had to be just part-time and get a job on the outside," Marshall-King told NRL.com in Perth on Wednesday.

"It's not enough to live off a part-time contract. You have to work and train as well. That's not really ideal. I was going back to do demolition. But it's all worked out in the end. I can't wait to rip in."

Through Suli's misfortune, an opportunity was presented to a player who made his NRL debut in the final game of the season for the Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval last year.

Given his older brother was heading back to the club in 2018, it was assumed Marshall-King would be hellbent on staying at the club.

• "They wanted to make sure he got himself physically right. It took a little while but he's been back training for quite a while now and we'll see a fit and healthy Kieran Foran out there on Saturday night."

New Zealand Warriors coach Stephen Kearney admitted the club didn't see the best of Foran in 2017.

"It was a challenging year in a lot of ways last year for Foz last year," Kearney said.

"Living apart from his two young ones and he had a fair few issues to go with that with his body. So it was a challenging little period for him. We probably didn’t see the best of him.

"I'm pretty confident now that he's back in Sydney close to the kids, and he's worked on his body pretty hard. I think everyone wants to see him back how we know he can play."

Malla

Reaction score
He's only played one first grade game correct? Geez this would feel like his first grade debut all over again.

Hope he has a cracker!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope he has a great year.
I had a look at the WT forum and they never mentioned him in their top 30 and their squad is shit.
So it's going to even more sweet if he goes gangbusters for us.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
These sort of selections are exciting.. hope he does well

Tacky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hope he has a great year.
I had a look at the WT forum and they never mentioned him in their top 30 and their squad is shit.
So it's going to even more sweet if he goes gangbusters for us.
Our halves stocks are stacked (Brooks, Reynolds, Benji, Gamble, Godinet, Lolohea). We didn't need another. I wish him all the best though.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Go Hard JMK

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The attitude difference between him & Suli is just huge, good luck to the kid, hope he kills it.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the look of this kid hopefully he kills it

Tacky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
@Tacky how did he look in his NRL debut, and where did they play him off the bench?
Played hooker for us because of some injuries but, he came through the 20s playing halfback alongside Te Maire Martin.

He looked solid, has a nice passing game. Could be a solid halfback if Foran is willing to run the show.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Played hooker for us because of some injuries but, he came through the 20s playing halfback alongside Te Maire Martin.

He looked solid, has a nice passing game. Could be a solid halfback if Foran is willing to run the show.
Can he cover the outside backs? Looks like a reasonable defender so far?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Did well out there tonight I thought. Solid as a rock in defence, and not afraid to tackle the big boppers either.

Imposter

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
His defense is awsome he puts his body on the line,he deserves to stay in the squad

Status
Not open for further replies.