Jharal Yow Yeh set for comeback

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Former Test winger Jharal Yow Yeh set to play first game for Broncos in 688 days

JHARAL Yow Yeh's hopes of a miracle comeback to the NRL remain intact with the former Test winger set to play his first game for the Broncos in 688 days.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Broncos coach Anthony Griffin is considering resurrecting Yow Yeh's Brisbane career in Saturday night's trial against the Cowboys at Dolphin Oval.

Griffin will name his team for the Broncos' opening pre-season hit-out today and Yow Yeh has surged into the selection frame after making promising progress on his reconstructed ankle.

Surgeons warned Yow Yeh may never play NRL again after the one-time Queensland Origin flyer suffered a shocking compound fracture of his ankle against Souths in March 2012.

Yow Yeh has since undergone 10 operations on his ankle, making a tentative comeback to rugby league last year with a handful of appearances for Norths Devils in the Intrust Super Cup.

But Griffin is refusing to give up on Yow Yeh and will deploy him against the Cowboys at Redcliffe if the winger's ankle recovers well from a brutal two-hour training session yesterday.

The 24-year-old participated in most of yesterday's team session at Red Hill before retiring early to perform individual conditioning work by boxing and rowing.

While there is no guarantee of an NRL premiership return, the sight of Yow Yeh donning the Broncos jumper would be a major triumph after he required skin grafts to rebuild his shattered ankle.

"I'm sure everyone here would enjoy it as much as the fans. It would be great to see him back in that Broncos jersey," said Yow Yeh's Broncos teammate David Stagg.

"I think he will get a go (on Saturday night).

"We've heard a lot over the last 12 to 18 months what Jharal has been through.

"From a football point of view, he's been to hell and back, so it would be good to see him get back to where he is. I'm sure he's enjoying being back with the side and able to do everything.

"When I came here last year he was a lot more modified with his program, but this year he's done most sessions.

"Given the circumstances of his injury, there are some things you have to be a little bit wary of, but he is certainly a ball of energy around the guys.

"I'm doing my weights training with Jharal and he's always in high spirits. It would be good to have him back on the field."

Veteran Broncos centre Justin Hodges has played a key role in Yow Yeh's recovery. Last year, Yow Yeh privately told several teammates he wasn't sure if he would play first grade again, but Hodges issued some tough love.

"I told Jharal he couldn't afford to give up because you only get one shot at the NRL," he said.

"I've had my share of bad injuries and I know how tough it is mentally, so I just wanted Jharal to know we were all there for him and he couldn't afford to slacken off."

N

Natboy

Good on him! That's great news & what an inspiration to young fans never to give up

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Going to make me cringe watching him play. That leg has to be a weak spot.

N

Natboy

I hope the dirtier players don't target it in the wrestle. Barba's ankle is fair game though :grinning:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Prior to his injury he was a gun player. I wonder how much speed he's lost as a result of the injury... hopefully not much.

One of those players that (despite being opposition), I liked to watch play.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Prior to his injury he was a gun player. I wonder how much speed he's lost as a result of the injury... hopefully not much.

One of those players that (despite being opposition), I liked to watch play.
Hopefully he has a successful comeback to rugby league. The injury will affect him physically and mentally but he is one of those players who will do anything to play. Hope to see him do well.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I can't wish anyone associated with News Ltd Broncos well, TBH. I'm glad he's healed well but I hope his teams sucks more ass this year. Fcking inbreds.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That was probably the worst injury ive ever seen in sport, besides anderson silva.

Status
Not open for further replies.