News Jeremy Marshall-King Bulldog hits open market with writing on wall for Belmore future

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Three clubs are reportedly interested.

Canterbury Bulldogs hooker Jeremy Marshall-King has reportedly thrown himself on the open market, seeing the writing on the wall for his future at Belmore.

Reed Mahoney's arrival is set to displace Marshall-King out of the starting 13 at Belmore, and with the 26-year-old hooker off-contract at the end of the year, reports now suggest he wants out.

Marshall-King, who has played 84 first-grade games and will finish the season on 100 if he doesn't miss any games, has proven himself to be an NRL-quality hooker.

That said, the Bulldogs are pinning plenty of hopes on Mahoney being the missing link next season following his shift away from the Parramatta Eels.

According to a Daily Telegraph report, the hooker is seeking interest from all of the Dolphins, St George Illawarra Dragons and New Zealand Warriors.

Already scoring two tries this season and having a running game to go with it - having 17 tackle breaks to his name in this season's eight games - Marshall-King was once a half who has transitioned into the number nine role.

It's likely Marshall-King could still hold a bench spot at Canterbury next year given his ability to play in the halves, however, it's also incredibly unlikely he would hang around to see that happen as Mahoney's understudy.

Mahoney is an 80-minute player and Canterbury are yet to be linked with offering Marshall-King a new deal as they attempt to work out their already bloated and stretched salary cap.

The Dolphins' interest in Marshall-King is hardly a surprise given Wayne Bennett's ability to take middle of the road players to the next level, but also the fact they are yet to sign a dummy half.

They missed out on Brandon Smith, Reed Mahoney and Apisai Koroisau earlier this year before they signed with the Roosters, Bulldogs and Tigers respectively in the dummy half merry go round.

It's understood the Dolphins have also inquired about Sam Verrills at the Roosters, who will fall down the pecking order following the arrival of Smith.

The Dragons are understood to be interested in Verrills as well, with the club desperate to sign back up to Andrew McCullough, with a view to an eventual permanent take over, so their interest in Marshall-King isn't surprising.

The Warriors, on the other hand, have Wayde Egan as their starting hooker and have been linked with a move to bring in Sydney Roosters back up option Freddy Lussick in the past few days.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marshall thank you for all those excessive line breaks and try assists.

May you learn a offload or two at your new club and learn not to be selfish.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good luck JMK, thank you for actually wanting to play for the bulldogs and playing with heart and passion every time you put the blue and white on for us, and ran out an gave it your all, even though your all wasn’t what we needed, and because of that effort and WANT to be here at my beloved BULLDOGS.. full respect for you.

Wherever you end up.. play with the same passion and effort and you will get respect..!!

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I love him for his solid defence but fuck he’s a deer in the headlights in attack.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
has improved but not good enough too slow and takes the wrong options far too often.
When i watch games now i pick which way he is going, who the ball is going to, and what he will do after based on his body cues. I swear, i might get it wrong once a game. He is so slow, predictable, and a patch work player IMO. Not smart enough to do most things, just good enough at tackling to keep his spot. Hard spot for a bloke to be in.

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Three clubs are reportedly interested.

Canterbury Bulldogs hooker Jeremy Marshall-King has reportedly thrown himself on the open market, seeing the writing on the wall for his future at Belmore.

Reed Mahoney's arrival is set to displace Marshall-King out of the starting 13 at Belmore, and with the 26-year-old hooker off-contract at the end of the year, reports now suggest he wants out.

Marshall-King, who has played 84 first-grade games and will finish the season on 100 if he doesn't miss any games, has proven himself to be an NRL-quality hooker.

That said, the Bulldogs are pinning plenty of hopes on Mahoney being the missing link next season following his shift away from the Parramatta Eels.

According to a Daily Telegraph report, the hooker is seeking interest from all of the Dolphins, St George Illawarra Dragons and New Zealand Warriors.

Already scoring two tries this season and having a running game to go with it - having 17 tackle breaks to his name in this season's eight games - Marshall-King was once a half who has transitioned into the number nine role.

It's likely Marshall-King could still hold a bench spot at Canterbury next year given his ability to play in the halves, however, it's also incredibly unlikely he would hang around to see that happen as Mahoney's understudy.

Mahoney is an 80-minute player and Canterbury are yet to be linked with offering Marshall-King a new deal as they attempt to work out their already bloated and stretched salary cap.

The Dolphins' interest in Marshall-King is hardly a surprise given Wayne Bennett's ability to take middle of the road players to the next level, but also the fact they are yet to sign a dummy half.

They missed out on Brandon Smith, Reed Mahoney and Apisai Koroisau earlier this year before they signed with the Roosters, Bulldogs and Tigers respectively in the dummy half merry go round.

It's understood the Dolphins have also inquired about Sam Verrills at the Roosters, who will fall down the pecking order following the arrival of Smith.

The Dragons are understood to be interested in Verrills as well, with the club desperate to sign back up to Andrew McCullough, with a view to an eventual permanent take over, so their interest in Marshall-King isn't surprising.

The Warriors, on the other hand, have Wayde Egan as their starting hooker and have been linked with a move to bring in Sydney Roosters back up option Freddy Lussick in the past few days.
JMK might not be a good hooker he isn't stupig either, he knows he has no future at the club and if he stays on he risks derailing what ever future he has left.
I will say it again, it's not his fault we signed him and played him hooker...
Good luck JMK

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMK might not be a good hooker he isn't stupig either, he knows he has no future at the club and if he stays on he risks derailing what ever future he has left.
I will say it again, it's not his fault we signed him and played him hooker...
Good luck JMK
What is his preferred position?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I recall correctly he went fullback / centre > halves coming through the grades.

I reckon he'd do well in ESL.
Yep and that’s why he has never been a top class 9. I don’t think he played much junior footy there at all

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope, i wish, i pray that a few more of the dozen or so players who only have one more year left on their contracts are having similar thoughts to JMK - seeking an extended contract for 23, 24, elsewhere.

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You have to ask him that,
In my opinion 5/8 but can be turned into lock
Yeah in this system that Barrett wants, I reckon lock would be perfect for him, being the distributor instead of Jackson, then have someone at dummy half that can give quicker service, would actually solve 2 problems we have