Official Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera statement

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Big news tonight for our club.

Anyone find it suspicious the coach quits just as these guys possibly have their contracts reinstated?

SLushY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Anyone find it suspicious the coach quits just as these guys possibly have their contracts reinstated?
If anything this will make them more likely to stay as Pay was the front runner in getting them deregistered

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Quite possibly connected. Pay definitely made certain statements about standards and culture that would make it hard for them to return.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury forward Corey Harawira-Naera has apologised for his conduct and vowed to work hard to resume his career after the NRL appeals committee reinstated his contract with the Bulldogs on Monday.

Harawira-Naera and teammate Jayden Okunbor were deregistered by the NRL on April 1 following a finding of serious breaches of the league’s code of conduct in the lead-up to a trial match in Port Macquarie in February.

The pair broke team rules by bringing women back to their Port Macquarie hotel on a pre-season trip. The incident cost the club a major sponsor and the NRL reacted by de-registering the pair.

They promptly launched appeals and have had their contracts reinstated, although they were fined and received suspensions.

In Harawira-Naera’s case, it was a 10-game ban and $15,000. He has already missed nine matches, meaning he could be back in a fortnight. In a statement released to The Australian, he insisted he wanted to put the matter behind him and concentrate on resuming his career.

Jayden Okunbor was handed a 14-week ban. Picture: David Swift.
“At the outset, I wish to apologise for my conduct,” he said.

“I have, at all times been open and honest with the NRL and the Integrity Unit. I have always admitted that my conduct fell short of the conduct that is required of a person in my position, however the widespread speculation as to what occurred contained many inaccuracies and falsehoods.

“Having said that, I am conscious that there are other people affected by this incident and I do not intend to make further comment about private matters. I am grateful to those who have supported me through this difficult time and I am grateful to the Appeals Committee for the consideration they have given this matter. I accept the penalty that has been imposed.

“The last few months has given me plenty of time to reflect upon my choices and it is now my intention to work hard to resume my playing career. I have a renewed determination to demonstrate that not only am I worthy of playing in the NRL, but that I am also worthy of the opportunity that I now have”

While Harawira-Naera could be back in a fortnight, Jayden Okunbor may be forced to wait a little longer — his sanction was reduced to a 14-week ban and a $22,500 fine.

Regardless, the only question is now where they will land. The Bulldogs have the option of bringing both players back in the fold but that would require forgiveness on either side and it feels like too much bad blood has flowed.

In Harawira-Naera’s case, there are options aplenty. At least four clubs have expressed an interest in the New Zealand backrower and he will have no trouble finding a new home should Canterbury opt to cut him loose.

Okunbor has interest as well, although the priority of both players is to find out where they stand with the Bulldogs. As of Monday, the front of Canterbury’s jersey was still a blank canvas, although there was talk that the club was closing in on a major backer.

It remains to be seen how Monday’s decision impacts on those talks. Despite the fallout from the incident, the appeals committee ruled the sanctions against the pair were too harsh, deeming they should have their contracts reinstated.

There had been speculation that the club would owe the pair back-pay given they have been off the payroll since the start of April. However, under section 14 of the playing contract, the Bulldogs are within their rights to effectively fine any player one 30th of their contract for each week they are absent provided they miss eight weeks or more.

In both cases, they are yet to play this season and the club would be well within their rights to withhold any more they would have be owed until now.

The Bulldogs’ only decision is therefore whether to embrace them or put them up for sale. If they decide the latter, Harawira-Naera will have no shortage of suitors and the number could rise depending on what Brisbane backrower David Fifita decides.

Fifita is expected to make a final call on his future within days and the Gold Coast are among the clubs who have been offered the chance to speak to Harawira-Naera.

They may choose to go down that path if Fifita opts to stay in Brisbane. Rare is it that the NRL loses a case on appeal but they found themselves on the wrong side of the ledger on Monday.

Okunbor was suspended for 14 matches, fined $22,500 and ordered to undergo a course of counselling or community service as directed by NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo.

“The NRL took the action which it considered necessary given the serious breaches of the code of conduct – breaches the Appeals Committee also found to be serious,” Abdo said.

“The independent appeals committee has taken a different view on what penalty the players should face and although we are disappointed, we respect the outcome.”

The Bulldogs added: “The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have this afternoon been advised by the NRL of the appeal process result for Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor.

“We are now working with the NRL to determine how this process will be implemented and will await further advice from the NRL on the next stage.”

It is understood the club was locked in talks on Monday night as they digested the appeal result and discussed the future of their coach Dean Pay.

Pay has struggled to get results this season, his cause to helped by the absence of Harawira-Naera and Okunbor from the playing group.

Regardless, their record of only one win from their opening nine games left Pay on thin ice.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...d/news-story/5354338e4c50853923e4e812972723a7

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
“At the outset, I wish to apologise for my conduct,” he said.

“I have, at all times been open and honest with the NRL and the Integrity Unit. I have always admitted that my conduct fell short of the conduct that is required of a person in my position, however the widespread speculation as to what occurred contained many inaccuracies and falsehoods.

“Having said that, I am conscious that there are other people affected by this incident and I do not intend to make further comment about private matters. I am grateful to those who have supported me through this difficult time and I am grateful to the Appeals Committee for the consideration they have given this matter. I accept the penalty that has been imposed.

“The last few months has given me plenty of time to reflect upon my choices and it is now my intention to work hard to resume my playing career. I have a renewed determination to demonstrate that not only am I worthy of playing in the NRL, but that I am also worthy of the opportunity that I now have”
Doesn’t mention the Dogs once he isn’t coming back

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah it doesn't look good if he didn't mention us and only mentioned getting back to playing in the NRL in general...

If he wants to leave I don't blame him but the club can't let him walk without getting a player or two in return.

He has two more years on his deal on a reasonable contract. Many teams are after him so to release him without compensation would be disastrous management.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I would’ve liked the club to back them I find it pretty rich they have gripes against the club when they made the mistake and cost the club 2 million in sponsorship

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting. There’s our Top 30 sorted then and likely puts rest to the rumours about Lafai. Interesting also that the NRL, even post Greenberg felt it necessary to say they’re ‘disappointed’ but ‘accept’ the appeal decision. Will await a statement from the Bulldogs for clarity.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting. There’s our Top 30 sorted then and likely puts rest to the rumours about Lafai. Interesting also that the NRL, even post Greenberg felt it necessary to say they’re ‘disappointed’ but ‘accept’ the appeal decision. Will await a statement from the Bulldogs for clarity.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Right

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Auction them off to the highest bidder and add a little more to Barrett's war chest.

The smell will linger like a fart in a stairwell if they hang about - we need a fresh start.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wait. So they are registered with the dogs again? When does the suspension start? From rnd 1 this year? Or from now?
That's how I read it. They are still registered with us, and have to cop the suspensions and fines.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Right

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ONLY way our club can possibly do the right thing (for once) by its fans in this case is to either keep them OR trade them to a club and get a FANTASTIC player in return. Make US the winners for f’n once!