Jayden Brailey admits his brother, Blayke, has to leave the club if he wants to start

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brotherly love is just as much about sacrifice as mateship, just ask Andrew Fifita.

The Cronulla forward told his twin David, who was vying for the same position while at the Sharks, to leave the club and pursue his career in England.

Fifita has similar advice for hooker Blayke Brailey, the younger brother of the Sharks’ first-choice No. 9 Jayden.

Like the Fifitas, the Brailey brothers are competing for the same spot at the same club.

“I’d tell my brother to go … that’s what I did with my brother,” Fifita said.

Blayke made his NRL debut in round one and is off-contract at the end of the season.

The highly regarded prospect is attracting attention from clubs such as Canterbury and Wests Tigers.

Older brother Jayden said Blayke was all but certain to leave the Sharks.

“There has been a lot of interest,’’ he said.

“We both want to be starting hookers and there’s one hooking role available in each team so, somewhere down the track, one of us is going to have to leave, which is unfortunate.

“But that’s the reality and I’m not going to lie and say we are both going to stay at the Sharks because it’s just not going to happen. If we are playing really good football, one of us has to leave.”

If Blayke decides to stay, Jayden is hoping the fact he arrived at the club before his sibling will give him the upper hand in any future contract decisions.

“I was there first so hopefully I’m the one sticking around,” he said.

But Jayden is well aware that just because he’s claiming the Sharks as his own, it doesn’t mean Blayke will let him have his way. Blayke has a long history of breaking “shotgun” protocol in the Brailey household.

“I shotgunned these cookies that mum always used to buy,’’ he said.

“I love cookies; they’re like my guilty pleasure. I said to him ‘this is my cookie, Blayke, don’t touch it’. I come back 10 minutes later and it’s gone, he’s eaten it. I went in there and I’ve given it to him a bit, we had a bit of a brothers’ tiff over it.”

If Jayden is allowed to have the Sharks to himself, it won’t be too long before he finds himself in another duel for the hooking role.

His youngest brother Taj, 15, is also a hooker, a Sharks junior and has aspirations to play in the NRL.

If the assessment by their father Glenn is anything to go by, the odds will be stacked against Jayden the next time one of his brothers steps into his territory.

“I’m the favourite son, the first born always is … but my dad has this saying about us three boys,’’ Brailey said.

“He says it’s ‘good, better, best … so my youngest brother is best of the bunch according to my dad.”

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites...149c6fab3020fc6edf22b38a91d&memtype=anonymous

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't know much about him but I do know he's not Lichaa or Benji's brother so I'll take him.

SoulCrusher

Banned
Reaction score
As much as we need a 9, I really don't want anyone named "Balyke". It's a surefire violation of the No Dickheads policy

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Why would the Tigers want him? They have a stack of hookers and are already in trouble re cap space.

Then again apparently we've signed Robson so who the fuck knows.

As long as he doesn't turn out like the last hooker we got from Sharks.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Sharks wanted Jayden to bulk up and potentially move to lock to allow Blayke to come through at hooker but Jayden refused apparently, in terms of the Sharks my source is pretty good so obviously Cronulla see Blayke as the better dummy half which is good news as Jayden himself is pretty damn good so I'd love to nab Blayke.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeah I dunno... always wanted Blayke first, but then I got on the Robson wagon because
Meaney (ball runner)
Lewis (controlling half)
Cogger (controlling half)
Robson (ball runner)
Gave us a better balance provided Lewis learns to take on the line.
I'd be happy with either one, Blayke I guess always yields the possibility of nabbing Flanagan is Townsend stays to.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haven't you lot learnt anything from Lichaa? Just because his manager has everybody saying this kid will be the most amazing player to lace up a boot doesn't mean shit for somebody who has played like half a game in FG

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We all know what happened the last time they signed a promising young hooker from Cronulla...

Brailey looks really good and he'd be a great addition but if any of the other 14 clubs are interested then I don't like our chances....

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Does Blayke have another brother named Danyil or Mykil or Jymothy?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Does Blayke have another brother named Danyil or Mykil or Jymothy?
@K E I was hoping for a "Lochlyn" or "Locklin". Whatever happened to Percy, Elmer, Theodore, Wilbur, Walter, Ernest, Charleston ... the classics of yesteryear.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
@K E I was hoping for a "Lochlyn" or "Locklin". Whatever happened to Percy, Elmer, Theodore, Wilbur, Walter, Ernest, Charleston ... the classics of yesteryear.
They're all gone the way of Gertrude, Eleanor, Beatrice, Blanche, Delilah, Mertyl and Martha unfortunately.