1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

News Jarryd Hayne accused of rape

Discussion in 'Rugby League General' started by CaptainJackson, Dec 20, 2017.

1. CroydonDog

CroydonDog Immortal Gilded

And it throws into doubt her ability to consent.

Civil cases are lodged by one party against another, and are decided on the balance of probabilities - so it will literally be her word against his.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GrogDog

GrogDog bad attitude

And I guess her argument would be that, "I was a virgin and didn't want to lose it in that manner"? Her level of intoxication I think will sink her. Doesn't the USA legal system hold a stronger value of "Innocent until proven guilty" than we do in Aus. I mean usually anything a female says against a male in Aus is taken as gospel and more a case of prove your innocence?

3. chisdog

chisdog Kennel Enthusiast

With regard to consent, what if both parties were blotto & she did him whilst he was unconscious? Both parties memories would be unreliable evidence wouldn't they?

4. CroydonDog

A lot will depend on witness accounts. If she is dead set paralytic, there is no way she can provide consent, and it is more of a case of sinking him, not her.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CroydonDog

Quite possibly, yes.

I doubt a man could get hard enough for intercourse whilst that drunk, but there are other forms of sexual assault...

6. CroydonDog

Sitting here on the couch watching story on the news, I am thinking the most difficult thing for the woman's case is geography.

If Hayne had a judgement against him, on the basis he just refused to return to the US and habing no US based assets, she would then have to apply to the Australian Courts to recognise the judgement. It will all get very expensive. Good for the lawyers...

7. Mr Invisible

Mr Invisible Super Mod Staff Member Premium Member Gilded

Apparently the Hayne Plane is struggling at training.

8. KLil

KLil Kennel Addict

Apparentely the guy isnt going to aim up until the finals the way he looked.. thats if he doesnt get injured.

9. GrogDog

GrogDog bad attitude

Interesting point, what if he says he was drunk too and can't remember??

10. Mr Invisible

Mr Invisible Super Mod Staff Member Premium Member Gilded

Well he's lawyered up. Wouldn't be doing that unless there is something to defend, or somethings gone on.

You'd think on substance alone if the judge refused to hear it on lack of evidence that'd be end of any civil case against him.

11. GrogDog

GrogDog bad attitude

Or he doesn't trust the legal system?

12. CroydonDog

Even if there was no case whatsoever to answer for, he would be foolish not to lawyer up.

13. Como Dog

Como Dog Forum Regular

He'd be silly not too. Being a civil case and based on previous developments it seems to be a pure cash grab and not much else - $$$$

14. DoggiesBoy

DoggiesBoy Kennel Addict Gilded

Since when does getting a lawyer determine that you are innocent lol

• Best Post Best Post x 1
  15. belmore_utd

belmore_utd Pro Golf Hack

myth busted

16. Trafford10

Trafford10 Kennel Enthusiast Gilded

In civil proceeding there is no guilt or innocence and therefore no presumption of innocence.
    She has to make the case for damages under the five counts.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  17. Trafford10

Trafford10 Kennel Enthusiast Gilded

Correct the California court is not covered by the Foreign Judgements Act. So any Damages awarded in California would have to be taken to an Australian jurisdiction.

I think his lawyers will surely try for a settlement. They will not want this to go to a California Jury.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CroydonDog

Or challenge accepted? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Gareth

Gareth Heavy Metal Mod Staff Member Gilded

This is exactly what I said, but I guess lawyers have a way of dragging shit out endlessly. According to the husband of the lady suing, they are gathering all this evidence by visiting doctors and documenting stuff (some of it not even true, like heavily embellished) simply to force a settlement at some stage. It all seems like a game lawyers play to get their fees. Like they are suing for like half a million dollars, this kid is like 19 years old. The husband hates the whole thing and just wants to leave it and I'll bet that is how a lot of pricks in this situation just get off scot free.

Can't you argue though that if you are blind you cannot possibly give consent therefore it doesn't matter what you can remember?

20. belmore_utd

belmore_utd Pro Golf Hack

Haha wouldve accepted the challenge had I known about it. Instead I was informed by freinds that my chick flatmate was riding my dick while my bedroom curtains were open giving full view to anyone who happended to walk through the communal swimming pool area. Was apparently and surprisingly quite a few people given it was post midnight on a Wednesday lol

• Funny Funny x 1