Opinion Jarome Hughes

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The position we're in we need to be thinking about any Storm or Rorter player and can't be too fussy lol
Agree another one I would love us too sign is Nat Butcher. Quietly goes about his business and has improved alot over the last season.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just watched last night's game back and he was exceptional scored 2 tries and has the vision to get it out to Mormoroski for his try.

He is off contract at the end of 2021 but imo we need to be offering him a good deal to come over and be our fullback if he's not keen on staying at 7 long term. Developed his kicking game over the offseason and has been one of Storms best this season. Offers Lewis try sweeten the deal somehow.

Reason behind wanting him is that he's not really deemed to be in that 'elite tier' so won't cost us a fortune. Couple that with the experience he'd being to our spine coming from a strong system.

Obviously there is abit of conjecture about Averillo playing 1 or 6. I was in the 'fullback camp' but I've changed my mind, I think he's a Dylan Brown, Luke Keary type player. Slot him on the left edge get him on the ba and let him pick his moments.
Showed a lot of mongrel last night and played some smart footy

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He finally has 1 good game this year and you want to sign him? I'll pass.
No he's be great all year. If you can't see his development as a ball player from last season to now then I can't help you. His vision and short kicking game have improved a hell of a lot. One has to keep in mind that when Melbourne are fully fit, he's competed with Munster for quality ball, look at what happens when he received more.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Competent and competitive players in good teams always shine
Our systemsare poor in comparison, he wouldn’t be so polished.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Agree another one I would love us too sign is Nat Butcher. Quietly goes about his business and has improved alot over the last season.
Signed till 2022 ZT

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Hughes will do but ONLY at FB. He's looked bland in that amazing storm system at half and has been the reason they suffered last year. But he seems good at FB.

I would also be strongly looking at Milford. Brisbane need a change and some salary cap relief. So who knows what might present itself there.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
What are you talking about, he’s been good for a few years now
He's always been a backup that plays when there are injuries. Never really cemmented his spot until this year and he was crap the majority of this year.

He also turns 26 this year.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No he's be great all year. If you can't see his development as a ball player from last season to now then I can't help you. His vision and short kicking game have improved a hell of a lot. One has to keep in mind that when Melbourne are fully fit, he's competed with Munster for quality ball, look at what happens when he received more.
He's a runner not a playmaker. Averillo should be the long term 6. We need an organizing 7.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's a runner not a playmaker. Averillo should be the long term 6. We need an organizing 7.
7 try assists this season yeah just a ball runner... To put that into perspective Keary has 9. I want him for fullback not 6 or 7.

TA leaders 2020
Johnson - 10 (has played dogs and dragons)
Keary - 9 (pure class)
T.Trbojevic - 7 (3 try assists against the dogs inflated his numbers)
Hughes - 7 (storm have arguably played all top 8 sides so far this season with the exception of Sharks in R2)
Williams - 7 (has played Titans, Warriors and now Dragons)

You don't have to like him but at least acknowledge he's having a great season.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's always been a backup that plays when there are injuries. Never really cemmented his spot until this year and he was crap the majority of this year.

He also turns 26 this year.
26 in his prime. His body hasn't copped a beating, would get 4 good years out of him easily.

A

Alexander the Great

He was very solid and consistent last year. This year he has had a dip in his performance but i think the fullback role is more for him and his style of play.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree to a extent as Pay must go. However with not much to look forward to besides Thompson, I'm just trying to be optimistic, positive and excited about any signings lol.
Well yea, optimism it’s what we’ve all had for years, it goes without saying.. but no matter how you call it, nothing ever changes of late.!!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He was very solid and consistent last year. This year he has had a dip in his performance but i think the fullback role is more for him and his style of play.
He's been very consistent and agree fullback is his go. Put the season try assist stats above and he's top 3 but apparently he's no good lol radio silence and no reply expected.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
7 try assists this season yeah just a ball runner... To put that into perspective Keary has 9. I want him for fullback not 6 or 7.

TA leaders 2020
Johnson - 10 (has played dogs and dragons)
Keary - 9 (pure class)
T.Trbojevic - 7 (3 try assists against the dogs inflated his numbers)
Hughes - 7 (storm have arguably played all top 8 sides so far this season with the exception of Sharks in R2)
Williams - 7 (has played Titans, Warriors and now Dragons)

You don't have to like him but at least acknowledge he's having a great season.
Total Try assists don't mean shit. You can get 4 in 1 game, 3 in another and then not do anything for 5 games.

Hughes is not an upgrade over Foran/Hopoate/Averillo.