Opinion Jarome Hughes

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Just watched last night's game back and he was exceptional scored 2 tries and has the vision to get it out to Mormoroski for his try.

He is off contract at the end of 2021 but imo we need to be offering him a good deal to come over and be our fullback if he's not keen on staying at 7 long term. Developed his kicking game over the offseason and has been one of Storms best this season. Offer Lewis to try sweeten the deal somehow.

Reason behind wanting him is that he's not really deemed to be in that 'elite tier' so won't cost us a fortune. Couple that with the experience he'd bring to our spine coming from a strong system.

Obviously there is abit of conjecture about Averillo playing 1 or 6. I was in the 'fullback camp' but I've changed my mind, I think he's a Dylan Brown, Luke Keary type player. Slot him on the left edge get him on the ba and let him pick his moments.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hopoate isn't our long term fullback (and we're currently stuffed when he goes down). We have Averillo but we don't know where he's going to play in the future, we've heard talks about fullback and five-eighth. I think it's wise we sign someone for next year who is or can play fullback. Hughes is a very good player, hopefully Storm stuff him around a bit with C. Smith 7 and B. Smith or Grant 9.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hopoate isn't our long term fullback (and we're currently stuffed when he goes down). We have Averillo but we don't know where he's going to play in the future, we've heard talks about fullback and five-eighth. I think it's wise we sign someone for next year who is or can play fullback. Hughes is a very good player, hopefully Storm stuff him around a bit with C. Smith 7 and B. Smith or Grant 9.
That's what I'm hoping for man. I just don't see offering Foran a new deal as good business. Not any good fullbacks on the market and this is the best way to get an experienced one along with getting Averillo starting in the spine.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
gee
typical
one good game and the cheque book is out

who's in favour next week

ffs
The fact he's currently playing 7 and I've called for him to go back to 1 should indicate ive watched him play for some time. 2 kicks for tries in R1 v manly showed he worked on his game alot in the off season rather than being the link man Bellamy wanted him to be when he replaced Croft. My post history should indicate this ... Cheers.

Last edited:

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could also argue that Avo could be a Jack Wighton type of fullback. His ultimate position depends on the other players in the spine. If we get a good 6, like Burton or BBO develops, then he'll probably be the fullback. If we get a good fullback, he'll end up 6. I think it's much easier to fill the 6 role than it is the 1 role so that's why he'll likely end up the fullback for the next few years.
Ultimately it depends on where the new coach wants him to play

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Anyone that’s decent would be good for our club atm

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
gee
typical
one good game and the cheque book is out

who's in favour next week

ffs
Who should we sign then ? You wanna stick with options like Foran, Hoppa or DWZ in the spine?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One of those underrated players in the NRL. I don't think he's a Halfback though. In a perfect world you'd use him as a super sub - he can literally play anywhere at an elite level.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You could also argue that Avo could be a Jack Wighton type of fullback. His ultimate position depends on the other players in the spine. If we get a good 6, like Burton or BBO develops, then he'll probably be the fullback. If we get a good fullback, he'll end up 6. I think it's much easier to fill the 6 role than it is the 1 role so that's why he'll likely end up the fullback for the next few years.
Ultimately it depends on where the new coach wants him to play
That's possible also, wouldn't be upset if we got Burton either. However I just see this as a more realistic and solid option for us if Cam Smith plays on and they use a similar rotation to last night with Grant also in the mix.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
One of those underrated players in the NRL. I don't think he's a Halfback though. In a perfect world you'd use him as a super sub - he can literally play anywhere at an elite level.
Started as a fullback, fuck knows if he would still wanna play there, been a very good player for the Storm. They could put him at centre and he'd still excel.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup Not a bad player, problem is this club is in a shambles, pointless talking about or wanting players.. or even getting excited or have some sort of hope unless the coach gets sacked, once he’s gone an we see any sort of cleanup/action happening, then we may be able to attract talent and start a rebuild.!!!

#CleanOut#TopToBottom.

NOW NOW NOW.!!!!!!!!

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He isn't a halfback, he is more of a running 6 or playmaking fullback type, I think the Storm are desperate to just get all their young talented guys out there even if it means playing them out of position, same goes for Brandon Smith with him playing in the forwards.

I think if the Storm get their hands on a organising half to partner Munster, they'd consider letting go of Hughes.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He isn't a halfback, he is more of a running 6 or playmaking fullback type, I think the Storm are desperate to just get all their young talented guys out there even if it means playing them out of position, same goes for Brandon Smith with him playing in the forwards.

I think if the Storm get their hands on a organising half to partner Munster, they'd consider letting go of Hughes.
Agree completely hence my post. Glad some can see the reason why I see him as an option. Being in the position we are opportunistic savvy signings like this are the ones we need to make imo

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yup Not a bad player, problem is this club is in a shambles, pointless talking about or wanting players.. or even getting excited or have some sort of hope unless the coach gets sacked, once he’s gone an we see any sort of cleanup/action happening, then we may be able to attract talent and start a rebuild.!!!

#CleanOut#TopToBottom.

NOW NOW NOW.!!!!!!!!
Agree to a extent as Pay must go. However with not much to look forward to besides Thompson, I'm just trying to be optimistic, positive and excited about any signings lol.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He finally has 1 good game this year and you want to sign him? I'll pass.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
We do need a fullback.

Force wakeem and Hoppa back into the defence line which helps centre and wing positions.

fullback and Cotric and that's our backline sorted.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Agree to a extent as Pay must go. However with not much to look forward to besides Thompson, I'm just trying to be optimistic, positive and excited about any signings lol.
The position we're in we need to be thinking about any Storm or Rorter player and can't be too fussy lol