Opinion James Hooper sums up dogs performance

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
BAD DOGS

It’s impossible to sugar coat, the Bulldogs were awful. Their forward pack lacked punch, their halves struggled to play off the back foot and the Warriors were in complete control for most of the match. Despite a 90 per cent completion rate, the Bulldogs lacked creativity and spark. Josh Jackson’s shift to the left side of the field appeared to have little impact and it was a similar story for Raymond Faitala-Mariner on the right edge.

HAS KIERAN FORAN STILL GOT IT?

All the talk over the summer has been about how Foran hasn’t missed a training session and his body is in the best shape it’s been for years. In fairness, the Canterbury-Bankstown playmaker has played minimal football over the last 12 months. But there’s no question Foran needed the run and was quiet in comparison to when Foran was at the peak of his powers. To make matters worse, the Bulldogs playmaker was smashed 15 minutes from full time by Jazz Tevaga with a copybook shot.

THE AERIAL WRECKING BALLS

There’s a strong argument the Warriors have the best two wingers in the competition in the form of Maumalo and Fusitu’a. Aside from their power and speed, the duo are also immensely gifted when it comes to scoring tries from cross-field kicks. Aside from being immensely gifted in the air, the powerhouse duo also dictate the Warriors sets coming out of trouble start with a relentless roll. They relieve pressure off the New Zealand forwards and take plenty out of the opposition. Maumalo topped the Warriors running metres with a total of 241m.

NIGHTMARE NUMBERS FOR CANTERBURY-BANKSTOWN

The following numbers tell the story of the New Zealand dominance. In total, the Warriors ran for 2026m compared to the Bulldogs 1563m. The missed tackle stats were equally as ugly, with the Bulldogs missing 29 and the Warriors only missing eight. The 90 per cent completion rate from Canterbury-Bankstown is also cause for concern for coach Dean Pay. Despite getting through their sets, the Bulldogs barely threatened in attack.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/09ea13bf66cb0eab622bb8aab6980a85

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
After years of shit performances, I'm over this already. Once I would have been angry and upset, but now I just note another loss; another poor performance from the players we put our faith in, and another bad year looming. Still support them, but can't get much interest anymore.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the one thing we were all confident with was that they will at least 'have a dig', you know, if they were going down, they would go down fighting. They let us down big time on that one today. It's not the loss that hurts, it's the feeling, at least the feeling I got was that didn't give it their all. Lots of warm fuzzy talk over the summer, but today was showtime.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
NIGHTMARE NUMBERS FOR CANTERBURY-BANKSTOWN
Our starting middle is too defensive with not enough go forward to get quality field position.

HAS KIERAN FORAN STILL GOT IT?
Foran looked good physically, very aggressive in D.
Think it is harsh to say he was quiet, we had no field position with limited opportunities in attack.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the one thing we were all confident with was that they will at least 'have a dig', you know, if they were going down, they would go down fighting. They let us down big time on that one today. It's not the loss that hurts, it's the feeling, at least the feeling I got was that didn't give it their all. Lots of warm fuzzy talk over the summer, but today was showtime.
You hit the nail on the head. Tactics and player selections can go wrong but attitude and effort are non negotiable and you could question if that was there today.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What happened to our aggressive starts?

Last edited:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hard to disagree with anything said.

Add to that more of the same from Lichaa.

Also the kicking decisions from Lewis were very poor today, kicking to the wings expecting our guys to out jump the warriors big boys was laughable.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We Didnt even look like close to scoring..

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After years of shit performances, I'm over this already. Once I would have been angry and upset, but now I just note another loss; another poor performance from the players we put our faith in, and another bad year looming. Still support them, but can't get much interest anymore.
Feel the same. Waited months for something different but ended up seeing the same shit. Can’t be too critical because half of them aren’t first graders.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran was actually GOOD for the cards he was dealt.
Was the same last year. He'd be a very solid half in a good team, no doubt.
Put some good hits on, good passes, nice runs and a perfect kick as I stated previously Montoya knocked on.
Lewis and Lichaa were woeful and forwards (because of Lichaa) were never in it.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There was no sign of our up tempo fast play the ball style of play that was talked about pre-season. And I also don't think we are that fit. We need time to gel, but it might take too much to do so, and our season will probably be over by then.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Foran was actually GOOD for the cards he was dealt.
Was the same last year. He'd be a very solid half in a good team, no doubt.
Put some good hits on, good passes, nice runs and a perfect kick as I stated previously Montoya knocked on.
Lewis and Lichaa were woeful and forwards (because of Lichaa) were never in it.
Foran was fucking shit, has been for years

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hard to disagree with anything said.

Add to that more of the same from Lichaa.

Also the kicking decisions from Lewis were very poor today, kicking to the wings expecting our guys to out jump the warriors big boys was laughable.
Lichaa...didn't we get a gun passing coach from rugby in the off season? As an ex park rugby player even I can see his mechanics are awful.

Eyes down on the play the ball...looks up, holds ball prone and then positions hands for spiral pass.

If the left side hot potato stuff is the only change from last year then we're buggered.

Chooky4Dogs

Waterboy
Reaction score
I also, totally agree with all comments. I was concerned before kickoff about Montoya in the Centres, and no Chris Smith or Offa on the bench. I love Josh Jackson, but not too much from him, sadly, being Captain and all. I also found it laughable, at 40-6 down we finally see one aggressive tackle but Napa, followed by about 3-4 misses. No need to think that you are a hit man when we have already let 40 points in.

Danny Fualalo had a couple of good carrys today, finally.

Is this performance enough to see Cogger next week??

Maybe Meaney in the Centres???

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Awful sums it up quite well.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Na they go on the field, pull down their shorts and cop it with no lube like a bitch.