James Graham predicts Moses Mbye to part the Red V

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs stars Moses Mbye, left, and Josh Reynolds at Belmore Oval. Picture: Gregg Porteous

Canterbury captain James Graham has predicted the finals will bring out the best in Moses Mbye amid statistics that suggest the Bulldogs half has struggled to make an impact on opposing defences leading into the finals.

Mbye has enjoyed an outstanding season but since he marked his return to the side with a standout performance against the Sydney Roosters in round 21, he has found it difficult to prise open the defence.

Over the past five games, Mbye has recorded only one try assist and failed to record any line breaks. His involvement in general play is also on the slide — Mbye has touched the ball 100 times over the past three games.

By comparison, St George Illawarra halfback Benji Marshall has touched the ball on 122 occasions over the same period.

Despite Mbye’s recent struggles, Graham is confident the pressure-cooker atmosphere of finals football will bring out the best in the 22-year-old, starting with tonight’s elimination final against St George Illawarra at ANZ Stadium.

“I’m fully confident in Moses that he will do what he needs to do for this team on Saturday and for the rest of the finals series,” Graham said. “It’s been a long year for a few of us. Finals brings out the best in people. It’s funny when you have so many supernova moments like Moses has done throughout the year, if he doesn’t have one or two in a game people start to worry and think what is going on?

“I’ve got no problem with his form. Maybe he isn’t having those huge supernova moments where everyone is standing on the edge of their seat, (but) I think he is doing a terrific job for the team. Going into the finals series, I think it’ll bring out the best in him.”

Mbye can at least take solace in the fact that he has shown he can handle the finals.

Thrust into the hooking role when Michael Ennis was injured in the lead-up to last year’s grand final, he held his own as the Bulldogs came up short against South Sydney.

He carried that form into this season, forcing his way into the halves despite the presence of Josh Reynolds and Trent Hodkinson. The birth of his first child meant he sacrificed his starting spot. He was given a rest by coach Des Hasler but he was brought back into the fold when suspension and injury affected Reynolds and Hodkinson.

As Hodkinson is sidelined for the rest of the season with a wrist injury, the Bulldogs desperately need him to find his best form against the Dragons in a game that will signal the end for one team.

Asked whether he would speak to Mbye, Graham said: “Moses is the type of guy who doesn’t need to be told what to do. He knows the dance. He knows what finals is about.

“He was outstanding for us in the grand final playing hooker. He knows what he has to do to be at his best. I’ll back him all the way. I don’t need to speak to him about how important he is and how important he is in the team.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...523446484?sv=c69f8aafbd067b788fcf079dfbb2b3d1

neovo89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Blah blah blah... just do the talking on the field...

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol at the stats they use, specifically the number of touches.

Marshall has been the dominant half with Widdop out, obviously he's going to handle the ball more often. ****ing dribble seriously.

ArnieD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fixed it for you
Same could be said with hoko missing 2/3 of the Knights game and Reynolds coming back from a long lay off. I would of expected Moses to get more touch's in these game. Moses has been poor but hopefully will lift.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moses just needs to improve small aspects so I'm confident he can, better 5th tackle kicks and take the line on a bit more...other then that he's been ok but as jamma said he had so many big moments early in the year that everyone compares him to that. I have faith in mybe starting tonight

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
James has been doing a lot of interviews, You'd think he'd be in the zone this week not talking to reporters .

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
the whole "do your talking on the field" is really a stupid comment. They are just answering the questions, jesus

ArnieD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
the whole "do your talking on the field" is really a stupid comment. They are just answering the questions, jesus
Exactly. It's semi finals and he's the captain of the team. The club is obligated to offer players to the media during the week. They are promoting the game.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't like the amount of stories that have come out this week about the Bulldogs. We usually play like shit when that happens

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Moses needs to make more line breaks alright. Great having pace as long as you can get free

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Talk is cheap,
Enough with these rubbish articles,
Time to play footy,
I know we won today and I should be excited, but dead set despite the few bad calls, we did nothing to suggest we will challenge the top teams,

A huge improvement is required,
How will that happen in a week when we can't do it in 3 years,

I'm lose guys, someone give me a hug,
I am a hugely disappointed dogs fan,

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Well well that didn't happen James. He tried and failed more than once

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep, in retrospect, bad call James, Mbye didn't do much of anything all that useful...... 1 or 2 good touches I guess, but nothing outside that.

Status
Not open for further replies.