Jamal Idris reveals his racism pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoGs_R_dA_BeSt™

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225829335249

YOUNG Bulldogs centre Jamal Idris has opened up about the racism he faced growing up in Forster and Sydney - and how discrimination remains rife in society today.

"When I was younger and growing up in Forster, I'd go to the shop and they'd kick me out because they thought I was stealing," Idris said. "Even in Sydney, I would get kicked out.

"Racism is still around, it's everywhere. People like to turn a blind eye and say it doesn't exist. I can't turn a blind eye to it because I'm the one copping it."

They are strong words spoken in a soft and gentle manner by a 19-year-old who has impressed each of his Indigenous All Stars teammates and coaches ahead of tomorrow night's historic match against the NRL All Stars at Skilled Park.

Asked if he had experienced racism on the field, Idris replied: "No, not really. But it's there in society. I don't get as much of it as I used to. Now they want me in the shops ...

"There's nothing you can do about it. You take it, I guess. I shouldn't have to. It shouldn't be like that. But that's the way it is.

"I'm not saying that everyone's racist, but there's good and bad in everyone."

This match holds special significance for Idris, who would support teams with the most indigenous players while growing up on missions around Forster on the NSW Mid-North Coast.

Justin Hodges was his hero and Queensland was his team. His father, Jerry, is Nigerian-born, and his indigenous mum, Alana, is the cousin of former NSW halfback John Simon.

The former Steelers halfback will be at the game, along with dozens of Idris's relatives, while Jerry will watch a replay when he returns from a holiday in Africa.

After his boom season last year, in which he was named Dally M rookie of the year, Idris acknowledges he is a success story continuing to unfold - something for others on the missions of Forster to aspire to. But he reveals that in itself brings pressure. There is a burden of expectation from his family that he cannot fail.

"There's a lot of pressure because if I pull out there's a lot of people looking at me - we've got a whole culture on us," Idris said. "If I stopped playing, they might think: 'He cracked under pressure, he pulled out, he's not playing anymore'. There's a lot of pressure to stay in the game and do well.

"It's always in the back of my mind."

To handle the expectation, he speaks regularly with a psychiatrist at the Bulldogs. Still, you sense this is a kid who will be in the game for a long time.

His roommate Wendell Sailor has already said this week that he considers Idris a better athlete than Greg Inglis and Lote Tuqiri.

"I don't know about that ... did he say that?" said Idris, surprised. "It's a big wrap for me. I can't really say that - they've done more things in the game that I could ever dream of doing."

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Well he isn't wrong, racism exists in this country and there is plenty of it.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Society will always be a pack of arsholes, theres no way it will ever be a perfect multicultural non discriminative country. Theres too many poorly educated communities, good on him for speaking out, you can only try.

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
Racism will ALWAYS exist in society. It will never cease, not even if we are reminded of the harshness of it 1 million times. Good on him for speaking out about it.

top_dawg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
what a disgrace of an article, who gives a flying ****, harden up u soft serve

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
You should see the little snippet from that *** Mundane.

rogueflare

popeye
Reaction score
its true what he says tho... people thing this is multicultural society and everything is smiles and rainbows... if your not sure if racism exists, walk into a cubicle of any mens public toilets, mostly TAFEs n schools n that, and read the writing on the walls... solid proof that racism exists.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Racism is rife in every society. There's no denying that. It's those who stand above it and don't let it eat at them who win at the end of the day.

Meanwhile, Idris' story is taking the path of SBW's. I'm not liking all this pressure he has to cope with, considering he's a humble Forster kid from an indigineous background. I hope he handles it well.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think he needs to HTFU,Everyone cops sh1t in their lives, wether it be racism, fat taunts, general bullying or for just being a dumb ****.

but in syaing that, the journo probably asked him about it and he just gave an answer. This whole article could be one answer from a 1hr interview for all we know.

massive beat up. it was even on the back page lol

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Stop trying to act like a philosopher and focus on your footy bud.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is funny because i am not Australian and have never experienced all this racism. i take people as i find them.

A

aleka

it is funny because i am not Australian and have never experienced all this racism. i take people as i find them.
Same with me, I think people are just soft these days.
You will get jibes here and there in any country on this planet.
All races and colours are also guilty of dishing it out so I dont see why it is such a big deal.

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every country has racism. It's sad but true unfortunately.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Why don't they call the bloke who owned the shop in Forster that Jamma got kicked out of and get his story.

Most of the kids from the Forster missions think stuff in shops is free, the people who run the shops get tired of the same **** happening over and over again..

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
If its true that Idris got kicked out of the store because of his skin colour, then he can shut the **** up.

Idris shouldn't worry about it anymore, he probably earns twice as much as the Shop Keeper now.

Huckle Puck

Waterboy
Reaction score
Racism will never go away unfortunately there's always going to be those sad sad sad people who judge by colour or culture.

We are all people for **** sake.

Talltimber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I know one thing is for sure...call Idris a racist name and you better be able to run very ****ing fast!

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Racism sux , but every one these days has to deal with it. Dose not matter what colour or race you may be. We all cop it . Get over it !!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.