Opinion Jake Averillo

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't know why so many fans are death riding the only genuine top line talent at the club. We've had nothing to get excited about for three seasons.

We finally have a player who shows flashes of brilliance and all people want to do is question his defence, which isn't as bad as people suggest especially for a kid defending in the halves for the first time.
100% mate

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He will do me . Has enthusiasm, skill and our main contributor to our points yesterday and people want to bag him for his tackling. His only a kid and has natural skills his tackling can be worked on. This kid is the only reason I watched the dogs yesterday. There was nothing else to look forward too.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
His passing was also impressive, his attacking kicks were surprisingly accurate and his speed created opportunities for the outside men the few times he touched the ball on their line as the defence was in two minds.

It was great signs for his first game in the halves and he'll only get better over the next two games.. Hopefully he has a huge offseason and fixes his defence. If he does, then we've found our long term 5/8th. I'm excited to see Barrett maximise his potential and take Averillo's game to another level.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I feel sorry for him tbh playing in this team.... kid has so much talent
Yeah but fuck his defence is dog shit
But you can teach defence
Natural attacking skill is uncoachable

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
His passing was also impressive, his attacking kicks were surprisingly accurate and his speed created opportunities for the outside men the few times he touched the ball on their line as the defence was in two minds.

It was great signs for his first game in the halves and he'll only get better over the next two games.. Hopefully he has a huge offseason and fixes his defence. If he does, then we've found our long term 5/8th. I'm excited to see Barrett maximise his potential and take Averillo's game to another level.
He is exciting to watch has talent which I haven’t seen at the dogs for years and people want to bag him because he missed tackles. Who didn’t miss tackles yesterday

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Struggles in defence but he's a 19 year old kid, he will no doubt work on that in the off-season and it will improve. I can't remember any young halves who were outstanding defenders at 19.

He's not going to be pushing for an Origin appearance after a dozen or so games, give him a chance to learn his craft.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
People don't forget Nathan Cleary debuted at 19 in 2016. Thats 4 years to get to this level. He played SOO at 21.

Ok Jake may not be thaaat talented but a lot depends on his development with decent coaching and mentoring.

Thank heavens Pay got shown the door.

At least our best junior for a long long time will get a fighting chance, at the very least, to excel with Barrett.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is To'omaga on a multi-million dollar contract?
Pretty sure this has been mentioned before, but at the moment Thompson is on not much at all. The big money starts next year. So how about waiting until then?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Benji Marshall was famously poor in defense earlier in his career. Tim Sheens adapted the team's defense in order to have Benji in the team. A decent coach should be doing that for Avo while he is young. Yes he needs to improve his defense a lot, no that is not going to happen over night. Benji hasn't been the liability in defense he was when he was young for a long time now.

The point though is that Avo is straight out a massive liability when the other team have the ball, and something HAS to be done about it which doesn't involve the lazy solution of not playing him at all.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And while we're fucking at it @DinkumDog dog, let's talk about Harper. Kid was on fuck all with us, a junior and captain of the lower grades. Many of us said he was our best option at centre yet he didn't even get a look in. Big money dud in DWZ, Smith the experiment, Holland, Montoya, etc..fuck what an amazing call it was by our board to allow this to happen.
Harper.... man. Wtf. Everyone here knows he is a solid option at centre yet we choose Holland and Montoya... are those two ***** even signed beyond next year? And they get Lafai. The coaching staff literally thought it was better to sign someone for 6 months and have two duds that are off contract over having a solid young player on a low contract as a back up for this year, next year and however long he could stay for

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Pretty sure this has been mentioned before, but at the moment Thompson is on not much at all. The big money starts next year. So how about waiting until then?
I don't care, the deal is already done and the big bucks are rolling in next season on. As I said previously the NRL operates under a salary cap and our big money signings need to be living up to their price if we're any chance. Are you telling me that after watching him play you're confident in him being the game breaking forward his wage demands him to be? I don't.

This has been an issue forever with us and more so under the current adminstration. We've obviously had massive restrictions on us but even so the big moneys signings have been abysmal so far while key positions have been completely untouched. Napa, DWZ, Thompson, re-signings like Jackson, etc. I'm just over it.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How many tackles Chris smith miss or “not lay a finger on”
Get the Fcuk off the kids back
Go give it to the nupties like Jackson smith tolman Reimis smith Meaney etc whom are definitely leading by eg arent they

Meaney missed hoppa jnr 4times alone in the second half cold
Chris Smith is the biggest dud in history. How is the **** in our team?

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL at this fucking thread. Cant wait to read this again in 12-24 months time and have all the critics eat their words

Does Avo have defensive issues? Yes...like most 19 year olds do. He needs to work on his defense under a real coach plus he needs to bulk up but the kid has natural talent.

His kicking game was OK yesterday, it was a little bit off target, but I expect that to improve massively under Baz. Same with his passing game.

Unfortunately yesterday, especially in the first half when we dominated possession and Manly were asleep, our other halves, Tolman and Jacko, decided to hog the ball. He needs to play in a new attacking structure where the halves dominate possession...like the one Baz implemented at the Panthers

Everything he needs to work on can be coached..the things that cant be coached, like instinct and speed, he already has. The kid will be a gun. He is very lucky Baz will be coaching him for the next 3 years because that means he will develop into a gun...our gun

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Terrible yesterday. Looked really unfit to me.
Not surprising, team is unfit to begin with + he has played fuck all footy. Still he's a shocking defender, I think it was last season where he missed something like 8/12 tackles in a single half lol.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He really needs to improve his defense.
It is one of the worst in the NRL.
Mitchell Moses has really improved his D so Averillo can as well.