News Jake Averillo vows to silence critics and lock down Bulldogs’ No.7 spot

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thank you! Every time I read, "I wish they'd stop talking and just do it", I think this.

They aren't going looking for media so they can tell them how good they're going to play this season. They have to say something when interviewed.
Ot also balances out all of the fucking bubbish thats printed by scum like boozfield.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really don’t want to hear anything from any of them until after we have won a game
I get it, but if we heard nothing then all you would read on here is people whingeing that the club doesnt share enough info.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can’t continually blame others for Averillo’s weaknesses. The good halves demand the ball when and where they want it, not hide out the back. I don’t see Cleary’s game change when he is being offered service by the average Mitch Kenny, or DCE’s game change when he has a half in Croker or whoever else pulled on the 9 jersey for them feeding him the ball.

If you think that when Mahoney comes Averillo is suddenly going to start demanding the ball and directing play and develop a good short kicking game then you are in for a big shock.
You have just named the NSW and QLD halfbacks as a comparison. Players with a hell of a lot more experience that have played in much better teams. Hardly a fair comparison.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You can’t continually blame others for Averillo’s weaknesses. The good halves demand the ball when and where they want it, not hide out the back. I don’t see Cleary’s game change when he is being offered service by the average Mitch Kenny, or DCE’s game change when he has a half in Croker or whoever else pulled on the 9 jersey for them feeding him the ball.

If you think that when Mahoney comes Averillo is suddenly going to start demanding the ball and directing play and develop a good short kicking game then you are in for a big shock.
Ooooops.

Last night, proof right there on the TV, DCE got shit service and was next to useless all game.

Always a Bulldog

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have just named the NSW and QLD halfbacks as a comparison. Players with a hell of a lot more experience that have played in much better teams. Hardly a fair comparison.
My point was that their level of game doesn’t drop based on who is playing at hooker

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averillo really just needs to let Burton be the dominant half and he can focus on his running game.

He's not the ideal player for halfback but if Burton turns out to be dominant then it won't matter. Willing to see how he goes the opening few rounds tbh

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Watching Penrith and Manly last night, the one thing (even Manly) did well with was last tackle option kicking.
Avo kicking did improve some last year but not enough for a first grade half. Sure he is not expected to kick like DCE.
Even Nicko Hynes just interviewed said it was the most important thing he needed to concentrate on (and did in his own time sometimes after training), his kicking.
Someone said on hear in the off season watching Dogs train in Tamworth that last tackle option was ordinary.
I understand that was a training run.
The concerning thing in the trials for me was last tackle option.
Burton wont be able to do all the kicking and closing out sets.
I dont care so much that Avo's defense can be ordinary (many great halves have been poor defenders).
I just hope that Avo's kicking has improved in the pre season. I hope that he can kick deeper into the oppositions half instead of landing them always in the 30 putting us straight back in our half 2-3 tackle in.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Averillo really just needs to let Burton be the dominant half and he can focus on his running game.

He's not the ideal player for halfback but if Burton turns out to be dominant then it won't matter. Willing to see how he goes the opening few rounds tbh
That's up to Baz though, not Averillo or Burton.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's 21 FFS. He needs confidence. If the forwards aren't giving him space he has no chance. Let him settle in to position and get the combinations happening. Make s the world of difference.

Reactions: ATT

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Damn. On one side we want our players to play with confidence and take the line on, but if they dare speak with confidence about the game then we rip them apart.

Which one do we want?

Nothing is going to happen in 1 game. He needs a run of games with Burton to really start a combination then we'll be able to judge.

For me I doubt he'll do a whole lot to silence his detractors in the first game, personally prefer to wait till round 5-6 when he's had a run of games to truly be able to judge.

Until then? Let's hope the team can get some go forward and JMK can get some progress going.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well of course he will, no one will get a chance. You can lock in JMK at 9 too

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Because everyone has bagged him bar a few of us on here
Thats not exactly true mate. It’s true that some have bagged him just for that hell of it, some have had concern about his lack of impact or progress as a halve and some have carried on like he is the next JT/Joey/Cleary.

You can pick which one you fit into..

For the record I want to see him succeed but also question his commitment and involvement level. Does that make me a niff nuff?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thats not exactly true mate. It’s true that some have bagged him just for that hell of it, some have had concern about his lack of impact or progress as a halve and some have carried on like he is the next JT/Joey/Cleary.

You can pick which one you fit into..

For the record I want to see him succeed but also question his commitment and involvement level. Does that make me a niff nuff?
I didnt say niff nuff ?
Lets look at trial form, sharks lost, penrith won, broncos currently leading
95% of posters are bagging jake, even to the extent they now want Sullivan after 1 good game, which is ridiculous.
Now i know Sullivan, my nephew played with him so i have followed his progress, good player, but jake has it all over him as a player and potential wise.
it does disappoint me that people on here are actually happy if our players fail, to me thats not a supporter

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didnt say niff nuff ?
Lets look at trial form, sharks lost, penrith won, broncos currently leading
95% of posters are bagging jake, even to the extent they now want Sullivan after 1 good game, which is ridiculous.
Now i know Sullivan, my nephew played with him so i have followed his progress, good player, but jake has it all over him as a player and potential wise.
it does disappoint me that people on here are actually happy if our players fail, to me thats not a supporter
Any supporter that actually wants one of our players or club to fail is a dickhead. People are clutching when it comes to Sullivan etc buts its because we do need a traditional halfback especially with Crusty the Clown of Coaches set up.

I hope Jake comes out of his shell, I really do.

Even if we put up a better showing on Sunday ( which I highly doubt) the red flags about where we are headed as a club under Barrett are fucking obvious…

Last edited: