Opinion Jake Averillo at five-eighth

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Given the fact that most of our halves have failed to impress (Wakeham, Lewis, Cogger) would it be worth giving Jake Averillo a shot at five-eight? It's his preferred position & he has a strong running game. Would take some of the pressure off Foran to be that running halve and let him coordinate the team more & preserve his body. I like Averillo in the centres but given the state of our halves, giving him a chance wouldn't be the worst thing to do.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Given the fact that most of our halves have failed to impress (Wakeham, Lewis, Cogger) would it be worth giving Jake Averillo a shot at five-eight? It's his preferred position & he has a strong running game. Would take some of the pressure off Foran to be that running halve and let him coordinate the team more & preserve his body. I like Averillo in the centres but given the state of our halves, giving him a chance wouldn't be the worst thing to do.
Cogger has actually impressed me and at least a few others. He seems to be genuinely capable as an organiser. His short kicking game is better than solid and given that he doesn't run the ball frequently, a lot of occasions when he's decided to run have taken the opposition by surprise and worked out well for us.

Averillo has plenty of time to earn a halves spot. So far I'm happy with his progress. But he's still relatively inexperienced and throwing him into a position where he's under more pressure mightn't be the best way to help him grow in confidence.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s his preferred position - Foz to halfback he gets in a first receiver a lot anyway so makes sense. As long as Foz is there to organises and talk it lets him focus on running and setting up his outside men. One issue is though we need a good 9 compliment this.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cogger has actually impressed me and at least a few others. He seems to be genuinely capable as an organiser. His short kicking game is better than solid and given that he doesn't run the ball frequently, a lot of occasions when he's decided to run have taken the opposition by surprise and worked out well for us.

Averillo has plenty of time to earn a halves spot. So far I'm happy with his progress. But he's still relatively inexperienced and throwing him into a position where he's under more pressure mightn't be the best way to help him grow in confidence.
Coggers kicking game was as good as Wakeham on the weekend last couple of games he played. I’m not convinced he has it for first grade as yet. I actually liked him better when he came on and played dummy half a few weeks back.
Maybe if he got more chances dunno, but I’d pass on Cogger, especially if he isn’t in the plans for the future.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Yeah Cogger has looked the most like an 'organic' halfback of the lot but it seems like he isn't really in the picture at the moment and probably won't be at the club next year. I wouldn't mind seeing Averillo move from centre to 6 during a match (then we would actually have a use for Holland off the bench lol) just to give him that taste of it without putting too much pressure on him early on. It would also keep the opposition team on their toes.

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its on record i have been saying averillo is a 5/8..the kids grandfather and uncle are both socceroos..sporting prowess is in his dna..however,he only really started to become noticed by the fans was midway through last year when he was moved from centres to 5/8 in jersey flegg..all of a sudden he had the ball in his hands and was setting up and scoring tries regularly, resulting in a move up to reserve grade.he killed it in reserve grade as a 5/8 and has made a rapid rise to 1st grade.mark my words this kid will go to the top..but only as a 5/8.

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s a fullback or 5’8.!!!

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wont happen because its the right thing to do so the poor bastard will be stuck in the centres until the real coach gets here.
Plus if he moves to 5/8 what happens to Steve's pet Lewis?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Coggers kicking game was as good as Wakeham on the weekend last couple of games he played. I’m not convinced he has it for first grade as yet. I actually liked him better when he came on and played dummy half a few weeks back.
Maybe if he got more chances dunno, but I’d pass on Cogger, especially if he isn’t in the plans for the future.
Perhaps Barrett will have a different opinion on Cogger. I'd heard that he's supposedly not in the plans a while ago. But a change of coach might mean the perspective of the club has changed.

Yeah Cogger has looked the most like an 'organic' halfback of the lot but it seems like he isn't really in the picture at the moment and probably won't be at the club next year. I wouldn't mind seeing Averillo move from centre to 6 during a match (then we would actually have a use for Holland off the bench lol) just to give him that taste of it without putting too much pressure on him early on. It would also keep the opposition team on their toes.
If he gets eased into a playmaking role for the rest of the year it could be good for his development. But I think telegraphing his move into the halves will just mean he's going to be targeted with heavy defence by the opposition in an attempt to send him into his shell.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Foran doesn't coordinate shit.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This week Averillo/Montoya v's Ferguson and Blake.

Or should I say David v's Galliath.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im guessing that forans hamstrings are dictating that lewis is his halves partner.. foran does very little long kicking... i have no idea if jake has a decent boot on him... if he doesnt, thats whats probably holding him back

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love how people declare him as a fullback or 5/8.
5/8 yes. Fullback never played there much
maybe for a reason
Dont do mbye to him,
Hes a 6 on the left hand side of the field.
But if yez want burton we wont need jake imo.

Yez want a fullback.........staines

silva

Utility
Reaction score
No. Give him 2 more years in the outside backs blood him at fullback a few games nxt year. Then he becomes fullback

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Im guessing that forans hamstrings are dictating that lewis is his halves partner.. foran does very little long kicking... i have no idea if jake has a decent boot on him... if he doesnt, thats whats probably holding him back
Another reason not to extend Foran.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bingo gdr
Jake isn’t a natural kicker and foran kicks as far as my 6 year old son
Whilst in theory it would be brilliant to pair them up esp in attack
Clearing kicks would be an issue at this time

Reactions: GDR