Jai Arrow on target to become Wayne Bennett’s early Christmas present

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Jai Arrow at training on November 22, 2018. Picture: Gold Coast TitansSource: Supplied
South Sydney are confident of signing Jai Arrow – and reckon they can get their man to Redfern for the start of the new season.
And more still, they could land Latrell Mitchell, too.

Both The Daily Telegraph and Sydney Morning Herald say that Souths are confident of getting Arrow over the line in the coming days to sure up their pack in the wake of Sam Burgess’ retirement.

And the Gold Coast Titans are reportedly warming to the idea of letting Arrow walk away from the final year of his deal to join the Bunnies – only on the condition that they can get some cash and another player in return.
That’s despite chairman Denis Watt saying earlier this month that the club would not entertain the idea.

“Our focus is on retaining Jai and extending his contract, and [releasing him early] is not something we’ll consider,” Watt said.

“Jai is rock solid. He’s a real asset to this club, the game and the Gold Coast community.

“We are hopeful things will be resolved by next week. We think a decision is imminent.
That was almost three weeks ago, and the Titans have yet to nail down the off-contract Queensland forward to a new deal.

Around the same time Souths coach Wayne Bennett compared Arrow to the recently-retired Burgess and said: “Me and Jai work great together. He knows if he comes to South Sydney I will want him here. It’s a great club with a lot of tradition and Jai would fit in well here.

“I let Jai go at the Broncos. I was honest with him. I told him he was ready for first grade and he was stuck behind a few blokes and he deserved to get an opportunity somewhere else. I have been proven right on that.”
Souths have reportedly made moves to offer Dane Gagai to rivals, and the Titans might be open to the idea of bringing in an Origin winger to soften the blow of Arrow’s exit.

Alex Johnston has also been linked to the Wests Tigers, but by taking the PNG back to Concord – and Gagai possibly moving to the Titans – it would leave Souths with the cash to make a play for Mitchell.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling this guy is going to get his big contract and end up being the next Tim Grant sorta player who will dip in form/consistency, get picked up by a few bottom teams and then disappear off the face of the Earth

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Big surprise... He's a good player but not worth the money or the hype and may struggle to live up to the expectations now that he's at a bigger club with a big contract. Look at how much Chrichton has struggled since he left Souths..

The distribution of talent in the NRL is a disgrace. The Titans have the weakest roster in the comp and lose their best player who is still under contract for another year to a top 4 cartel team.

Yet again the cellar dwellar clubs get pillaged. And the NRL doesn't care that the Titans are just rotting away taking up a valuable franchise spot offering nothing to the competition.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
One of the best Prop's in the game over the last two years. Went up another level during Origin this year. Only concern is he has a few niggling injuries (back?). Performs week in and out for the worst team in the NRL so you know what you're going to get from him (and probably even more). Also has a good head on him and talks very well. Rabbitohs are also very light in the forward department.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sure they cleared up salary cap space With SBurgess gone.. But this is the advantage of having a big name coach.. helps secure big name players..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sure they cleared up salary cap space With SBurgess gone.. But this is the advantage of having a big name coach.. helps secure big name players..
And that’s what we are also missing .. something to attract big name players..!!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Jai Arrow at training on November 22, 2018. Picture: Gold Coast TitansSource: Supplied
South Sydney are confident of signing Jai Arrow – and reckon they can get their man to Redfern for the start of the new season.
And more still, they could land Latrell Mitchell, too.

Both The Daily Telegraph and Sydney Morning Herald say that Souths are confident of getting Arrow over the line in the coming days to sure up their pack in the wake of Sam Burgess’ retirement.

And the Gold Coast Titans are reportedly warming to the idea of letting Arrow walk away from the final year of his deal to join the Bunnies – only on the condition that they can get some cash and another player in return.
That’s despite chairman Denis Watt saying earlier this month that the club would not entertain the idea.

“Our focus is on retaining Jai and extending his contract, and [releasing him early] is not something we’ll consider,” Watt said.

“Jai is rock solid. He’s a real asset to this club, the game and the Gold Coast community.

“We are hopeful things will be resolved by next week. We think a decision is imminent.
That was almost three weeks ago, and the Titans have yet to nail down the off-contract Queensland forward to a new deal.

Around the same time Souths coach Wayne Bennett compared Arrow to the recently-retired Burgess and said: “Me and Jai work great together. He knows if he comes to South Sydney I will want him here. It’s a great club with a lot of tradition and Jai would fit in well here.

“I let Jai go at the Broncos. I was honest with him. I told him he was ready for first grade and he was stuck behind a few blokes and he deserved to get an opportunity somewhere else. I have been proven right on that.”
Souths have reportedly made moves to offer Dane Gagai to rivals, and the Titans might be open to the idea of bringing in an Origin winger to soften the blow of Arrow’s exit.

Alex Johnston has also been linked to the Wests Tigers, but by taking the PNG back to Concord – and Gagai possibly moving to the Titans – it would leave Souths with the cash to make a play for Mitchell.
What a shame, would love for this guy to be playing for the Dogs!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a feeling this guy is going to get his big contract and end up being the next Tim Grant sorta player who will dip in form/consistency, get picked up by a few bottom teams and then disappear off the face of the Earth
If Souths sign him I hope you are right mate, but highly doubt it! Arrow has got plenty of talent which he has shown on several occasions at his current club, he has carried the Titans since arriving there.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
And that’s what we are also missing .. something to attract big name players..!!
We tried the big name coach thing only recently with Des Hasler remember and look where that got us... Big signings like Lichaa, Woods and co! We as the Canterbury club need a coach who gets understands us and our history so will stick with Pay for now... only wish we could have Folksey back from the grave, there’s a bloke that knows what the Bulldogs are about God bless his soul...

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Souths sign him I hope you are right mate, but highly doubt it! Arrow has got plenty of talent which he has shown on several occasions at his current club, he has carried the Titans since arriving there.
So did Grant, and many others... I don't reckon Arrow has the heart to maintain his 2019 form over several seasons.... but we will see!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So did Grant, and many others... I don't reckon Arrow has the heart to maintain his 2019 form over several seasons.... but we will see!
Indeed we will! I don’t compare Arrow to Tim Grant, I actually think he is more in the mould of Corey Parker who was a consistent professional oldschool footballer who only got better with age! Man I miss watching Corey play, the guy was a modern day genius in attack and defense and the only player I have witnessed since his retirement is Jai Arrow and Wayne Bennett knows the type of value he will get from Arrow! If Bullfrog and Folkesey were still with us he would already be in Blue & White!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We tried the big name coach thing only recently with Des Hasler remember and look where that got us... Big signings like Lichaa, Woods and co! We as the Canterbury club need a coach who gets understands us and our history so will stick with Pay for now... only wish we could have Folksey back from the grave, there’s a bloke that knows what the Bulldogs are about God bless his soul...
Well in his first years we made it to the big stage and we had Barba and a few others that did really well.. we were a good team, Des just got complacent and bored, and then desball kicked in.. so maybe not big signings, but it was a good Couple of years.

more to the point, we need something now to attract big name players, that’s the stage we at.. weather it be coach or game wining success.. however it Happens, it needs to happen lol.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Indeed we will! I don’t compare Arrow to Tim Grant, I actually think he is more in the mould of Corey Parker who was a consistent professional oldschool footballer who only got better with age! Man I miss watching Corey play, the guy was a modern day genius in attack and defense and the only player I have witnessed since his retirement is Jai Arrow and Wayne Bennett knows the type of value he will get from Arrow! If Bullfrog and Folkesey were still with us he would already be in Blue & White!

fair enough.. I just see the way he parades around with his gold digger mrs and how keen he is to walk away from his teammates to chase the fame and glory and can't imagine him being that sort of player... think he will enjoy is little moment in the sun and then end up at Penrith or the Tigers

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
fair enough.. I just see the way he parades around with his gold digger mrs and how keen he is to walk away from his teammates to chase the fame and glory and can't imagine him being that sort of player... think he will enjoy is little moment in the sun and then end up at Penrith or the Tigers
We have all been pussy whipped when we were young, don’t hold that against him lol

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well in his first years we made it to the big stage and we had Barba and a few others that did really well.. we were a good team, Des just got complacent and bored, and then desball kicked in.. so maybe not big signings, but it was a good Couple of years.

more to the point, we need something now to attract big name players, that’s the stage we at.. weather it be coach or game wining success.. however it Happens, it needs to happen lol.
Right player at the right price is the line being churned out by our management at the moment.. whether you agree or not and everyones got an opinion on it, our club at the moment is reluctant to back load contracts & reluctant to sign long big $$ contracts, together with minimal TPAs..

Word is GC at our club got to a figure with Latrells manager they were happy with, but the footy club shot it down as they dont want to commit to big $ contracts .. So dont expect any big dollar contract anytime soon..

Recruiting and salary cap is a balancing act.
. but something will definately come to a head in next 2 years, as if we struggle to attract big name players over next 2 years with a clear cap, and the club continues to be reluctant to splash the cash.. Members wont be so patient in 2 years time if the team is still not making the finals.. Then hopefully we dont have a situation of panic buys to save face come 2022 which will also be the wrong approach..

All the fans can do is wait and see if the current approach is the best and most effective way.. Pay likes to rebuild with kids and has alot of faith in our young spine players, he and CA knocked back the oppurtunity to sign several seasoned (not superstar) FG players already since the end of 2018..

The proof will be in the pudding with results and how the team improves.. That is up to Pay but also the support with staffing and recruitment the club gives Pay.. The footy club staff still have vacancies, and the team around Pay is still being built, something that Lynne publicly acknowledges..

This is already our longest drought at finals since the 60s hopefully it doesnt continue for 2 more years..

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Right player at the right price is the line being churned out by our management at the moment.. whether you agree or not and everyones got an opinion on it, our club at the moment is reluctant to back load contracts & reluctant to sign long big $$ contracts, together with minimal TPAs..

Word is GC at our club got to a figure with Latrells manager they were happy with, but the footy club shot it down as they dont want to commit to big $ contracts .. So dont expect any big dollar contract anytime soon..

. but something will definately come to a head in next 2 years, as if we struggle to attract big name players over next 2 years with a clear cap, and the club continues to be reluctant to splash the cash.. Members wont be so patient in 2 years time if the team is still not making the finals.. Then hopefully we dont have a situation of panic buys to save face come 2022 which will also be the wrong approach..

All the fans can do is wait and see if the current approach is the best and most effective way.. The proof will be in the pudding with results and how the team improves.. That is up to Pay but also the support with staffing and recruitment the club gives Pay..

This is already our longest drought at finals since the 60s hopefully it doesnt continue for 2 more years..
We all are hoping mate..!!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have all been pussy whipped when we were young, don’t hold that against him lol

Right you are... I'm willing to be proven wrong.. but either way I won't be able to stand the guy if he ends up at Souffs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

All the fans can do is wait and see if the current approach is the best and most effective way.. Pay likes to rebuild with kids and has alot of faith in our young spine players, he and CA knocked back the oppurtunity to sign several seasoned (not superstar) FG players already since the end of 2018..

The proof will be in the pudding with results and how the team improves.. That is up to Pay but also the support with staffing and recruitment the club gives Pay.. The footy club staff still have vacancies, and the team around Pay is still being built, something that Lynne publicly acknowledges..

Can see the theory behind this.

But I also kinda think their judgement may be a bit clouded because of the success of DZW and the impact his playing style and personality has had on the team.

We landed on our feet with him and it's a rarity to find an out of favour cheapy signing have that much impact. Have no illusions that the next player we sign needs to have a huge impact on our fortunes to add the necessary step up in skill and points. They are rare and especially at bargain prices.

I hope they get it right.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let souths have him. The player we want is a left centre, also plays at souths, on a minimal wage.
I would of stole braidon burns. Watch the season this kid has.
There cheapeset back yet most effective. U read it here first.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Let souths have him. The player we want is a left centre, also plays at souths, on a minimal wage.
I would of stole braidon burns. Watch the season this kid has.
There cheapeset back yet most effective. U read it here first.
He looked great last season but breaks fairly easily.