Fox Sports Jack Wighton Rumours

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How does it stop the spread of talent? Teams still can't exceed a cap value that just happens to be based on the notional values rather than the actual contract/TPA values. They would also still have to sign a Top 30 or similar.

Clubs need to be responsible and accountable for their spending. If they financially mismanage then heavy sanctions can be imposed on them as a punishment and also a deterrent.

I don't know why the RLPA would have a problem with players having the opportunity to potentially earn more 'real' money. Teams would still need to have a minimum number of players in their squads so that's just natural competition for places amongst players. At the other end of the scale, even if that $500k valued player had no offers at 500k, because clubs still have real money and budgets to be managed, the player might sign for $400k but the cap reflects the $500k of the player and the $400k is still above an actual minimum contract rate.

No longer will clubs be joining the Rorters just because of their amazing culture and other teams can compete with them.
Before the Salary Cap it was well proven that clubs DO NOT ACT RESPONSIBLY when it comes to recruiting players. Under your model they have no incentive not to overspend in desperation to get results. Most are elected officials and their electors demand results otherwise they get voted out, so their willingness to overspend is obvious. Expecting them to act responsibly is ludicrous, they haven't in the past and they won't in the future.

The Chooks will simply have 30 players that they pay $1m each, regardless of what the player's Notional Value is. They have the funds and they will spend it to achieve the results they crave. Souffs won't be far behind, their 3 directors earn more than $30m a year each, peanuts to win a comp.

Always a Bulldog

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before the Salary Cap it was well proven that clubs DO NOT ACT RESPONSIBLY when it comes to recruiting players. Under your model they have no incentive not to overspend in desperation to get results. Most are elected officials and their electors demand results otherwise they get voted out, so their willingness to overspend is obvious. Expecting them to act responsibly is ludicrous, they haven't in the past and they won't in the future.

The Chooks will simply have 30 players that they pay $1m each, regardless of what the player's Notional Value is. They have the funds and they will spend it to achieve the results they crave. Souffs won't be far behind, their 3 directors earn more than $30m a year each, peanuts to win a comp.

Always a Bulldog
De-register both clubs.
They won't be missed.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
De-register both clubs.
They won't be missed.
They have more than enough money for their lawyers and SC/QC's to quash any attempts by the NRL to eject them. Souffs was an easy target when they had no money, that is no longer the case.

Always a Bulldog

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Loyalty is dead isn’t it. Canberra have stuck by this kid and now after 14 years he just heads off.

Good pickup by Souths

He's getting on and this is his best chance of winning a comp seeing Canberra's premiership window shows no signs of being pried open in the next decade.

I hate souffs but can't blame the guy for wanting out

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From what I've heard, Canberra made him the offer, he was likely to re-sign.. He wanted to talk to Souths and the Dolphins before he signed.

Furner then gave him an ultimatum that you have until the end of that week to sign or the offer is off the table.. Wighton got pissed off as he's been there for over 10 years and they're giving him deadlines and playing hardball..

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've heard, Canberra made him the offer, he was likely to re-sign.. He wanted to talk to Souths and the Dolphins before he signed.

Furner then gave him an ultimatum that you have until the end of that week to sign or the offer is off the table.. Wighton got pissed off as he's been there for over 10 years and they're giving him deadlines and playing hardball..
If Furner put an ultimatum there. Wat a dumbass. Any bloke with half a nut sack would have walked after that.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Faiders were offering him "loyalty" money in that overpriced contract imo(is he a million dollar player?? I'm sceptical but could easily be wrong)like they did with Jason Croker a few years ago, which went super well NOT...
I don't even really care tbh, has a better chance of winning a comp but will be playing with ***** it's his choice.
Given my hate for Souffs hopefully someone each year will cruel Jack's dream :p

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Furner put an ultimatum there. Wat a dumbass. Any block with half a nut sack would have walked after that.
That's what I've been told happened and it's a very strong source. I know Furner is a hardass so it doesn't sound surprising. I think once Furner did that, his mind was made up to play with his mate Latrell. Wighton seems like a good bloke. His reaction on the weekend shows how much he cares.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's what I've been told happened and it's a very strong source. I know Furner is a hardass so it doesn't sound surprising. I think once Furner did that, his mind was made up to play with his mate Latrell. Wighton seems like a good bloke. His reaction on the weekend shows how much he cares.
I see both sides, but that lines up with Stuarts comments about "protecting the club"
Also no doubt Souths are throwing him some juicy third party arrangements. His mgr isn;t doing his job otherwise. Plenty of souths connections at arms length to make it happen