Jack Johns signs with Newcastle Knights, Bailey Sironen joins Warriors

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jack Johns signs with Newcastle Knights, Bailey Sironen joins Warriors

The Rabbitohs have released Bayley Sironen from the remaining year of his playing contract to take up an extended deal at the Warriors.

Sironen has played 24 NRL games since making his debut for the Wests Tigers in 2017, 22 of which have been for the Rabbitohs over the past two seasons.

“We have granted Bayley a release as we did not think it was fair to stand in the way of him taking up an extended and valuable offer at another Club,” Rabbitohs Head of Football Mark Ellison said.

“Bayley has served the Club well over the past two years, his dealings with us over this release have been professional and respectful, and we believe he has played the best football of his young career at the Rabbitohs.

“He’s a great young man and we wish him the best of luck at his new Club. He will always be a Rabbitoh.”

Meanwhile the Warriors announced his signing on a three-year-deal.

“One of rugby league’s most famous names is set to link with the Vodafone Warriors after confirmation South Sydney back rower Bayley Sironen has agreed terms for a three-year contract from next season,” the club said in a statement.

The 23-year-old is the son of the legendary Paul Sironen and younger brother of Manly Warringah’s Curtis Sironen.

“We have had our eyes on Bayley for some time but we didn’t have the positions available at the time,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

“Fortunately he became available now. (Head coach) Nathan (Brown) was keen to add a point of difference to our squad to balance our key signings and Bayley will bring that.

“He comes from one of the game’s greatest families and will add some invaluable footy IQ to our squad.”

O’Sullivan said the Vodafone Warriors were grateful to South Sydney CEO Blake Solly, head coach Wayne Bennett and football manager Mark Ellison for their handling of Sironen’s release.

“I was really keen to add an edge/middle forward to our roster for 2021 and Bayley fits the bill,” said new Vodafone Warriors head coach Nathan Brown.

“He was able to fill in at five-eighth and centre as well as the back row in 2020 so he adds the versatility, skill and defensive capabilities that we were looking for.

“His addition puts pressure on all our forwards for positions and adds invaluable depth of quality in our back row.”

JOHNS LINKS WITH FATHER’S OLD CLUB THE KNIGHTS

The nib Newcastle Knights are pleased to announce the signing of Jack Johns on a two year development contract.

Johns, the son of Knights legend Matthew and nephew of Immortal Andrew, returns to the Knights after spending two seasons with South Sydney.

Despite not having a reserve grade competition in 2020, Johns forced his way into Wayne Bennett’s team and made his NRL debut in Round 11 against Canberra.

The 23-year-old played 24 games for the Knights in the 2017 Holden Cup, finishing the year playing in the World Cup for Italy.

With a much bigger build than his father, Johns has grown into a dynamic and strong back-rower with sky-high potential, while still being at home in the No.6 jersey his father made so famous in the 1990s.

Knights General Manager Of Football, Danny Buderus, said he was looking forward to having Johns back at the Knights.

“Jack has developed both physically and as a footballer, while being a much different shape to Matty and Andrew,” he said.

“His transition into a ball-playing middle forward with good footwork will provide a skill set which adds to the depth of our squad.”

The development deal will tie Johns to the Knights until at least the end of the 2022 season.

Souths clearing the deck it seems after releasing James Roberts, Bailey Sironen and Jack Johns.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bayley's a good buy for the Warriors. I saw a lot of progression in him this year. He's probably a similar buy to Waddell, but Bayley's a little more hot right now I'd say. I heard Johns was given a contract extension but it was after Rabbitohs already said they weren't going to re-sign him, they changed their mind (he'd already agreed with the Knights in the meantime).

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roberts, Johns & Sirro all let go by the Rabbits.

I strongly suspect that JAC is heading to Redfern.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Why does something that someone does that has literally nothing to do with you infuriate you? You sound like a Karen.
Because you are dooming your kid too having to spell their name every time they say it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doubt Jack Johns even makes junior reps let alone NRL if he wasn't Matty Johns kid.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Doubt Jack Johns even makes junior reps let alone NRL if he wasn't Matty Johns kid.
Wayne Bennett isn't going to pick someone in first grade because their father is Matty Johns.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wayne Bennett isn't going to pick someone in first grade because their father is Matty Johns.
He only got two games in his whole time at Souths when they had a heavy injury toll that's hardly a glowing endorsement from Wayne either.........

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Why does something that someone does that has literally nothing to do with you infuriate you? You sound like a Karen.
Because you are dooming your kid too having to spell their name every time they say it.
I would add that whenever I have met parents with kids that have deliberately incorrectly spelt names they are not the type of people that I enjoy meeting.

Go Dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Unique names/spelling are better than common names imo. I'd rather be different.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Unique names/spelling are better than common names imo. I'd rather be different.
I hate the Lebo tradition of the oldest son naming his first son after his father. Too many people have the same name.