Opinion Jack Hethrington- edge back rower.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes, I said so when we signed him. It only took an entire season for Baz to okay him there and for the rest of TK to cop on.
I'd suggest that Baz felt limited in terms of props this season. At the start of the season he had Ava (train and trial, older and overweight, working his way back), Napa (poor form for yonks), Thomo (suspended first 4 rounds), Atoni & Ogden (neither had yet proven they are dependable in the starting team). So he penned Hetho in as one of his 4 props (when not suspended). Hetho has started most of the games he has played, usually next to either Napa or Thommo, partly because the rest of the options just didn't look up to scratch.

With Vaughn coming, and TPG showing what he can do in the middle the last 2 weeks, and Ava signed and showing he is back to NRL quality, today might be the sign that Baz is feeling a little more comfortable with his middle forward stocks.

Another two factors in this:

- how good Jacko is playing at lock. He is the answer there in every way except potentially in link play, although he was brilliant in that role today.
- Patolo, after his absolute dud debut against Manly, he has put in some excellent stints off the bench, been getting better and better.

So next season in terms of middle forward capable we have Thommo, Vaughn, TPG, Jacko, who can all play big minutes, and Ava, and Patolo who are good to reasonable bench options. If RFM comes good he is another, and Hetho could still be good as a benchie playing in the middle, if he doesn't play on the edge. Stimson and Waddell backups for either lock or edge.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Edge back rower for Hethrington. So much better than as a prop.
Might help him to control his temper and allow his athletic attributes to shine through.
100% agree, only question is why did it take Baz until the last round of the season to try it???

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol not ALL mutty boy i also said it a long time ago..first ever starting game at prop was here this year it hasn't worked out great but in a right shithouse team, he is still relatively inexperienced with 40 FG games at 25 years of age.Hopefully stays out of trouble and kicks some Arse next year,

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A few of us have been suggesting this since we signed him considering his pace, lack of effectiveness as a prop and that his best form with the Warriors last year was also when he played on an edge.

Hopefully Baz persists with it going into next season because he looks a lot better in space.
Mate I was one of the first, and people where saying get of the piss lol

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
8. Vaughn
9. ?
10. Thompson
11. TPJ
12. Hethro
13. Jackson

14. Topine
15. Ava
16. Patolo
17. ?
That pack and bench would compete with most if Hetherington finds his potential on the edge. Patolo starting to look pretty good too - hope he gets a good off season and improves more.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Some weeks ago a report mentioned how fast Hetherington was I thought it would be good to give him a shot in the second-row, I mentioned it to some friends they laughed the idea off...Heck Gus thinks so too !
Possible pack next season
8 TPJ................................Seumanufagai / Ogden
9 Cook............................JMK
10 Vaughan...................Patolo / Tuitau
11 Hetherington..........Stimson / Waddell
12 Jackson......................Doorey / RFM
13 Thompson................Topine
Fixed :grinning:

Last edited:

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
Some weeks ago a report mentioned how fast Hetherington was I thought it would be good to give him a shot in the second-row, I mentioned it to some friends they laughed the idea off...Heck Gus thinks so too !
Possible pack next season
8 Seumanufagai..........Ogden
9 Cook............................JMK
10 Vaughan....................Tuitau
11 Hetherington..........Stimson / Waddell
12 Jackson......................Doorey / RFM
13 Thompson................Topine
TPJ?