News Jack De Bellend Megathread

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What happens if the jury cant decide again? Another retrial?
More than likely will not go a 3rd time round.

They would need substantial amount of new evidence to warrant it, or some exceptional circumstance to proceed. Not unheard of, but generally uncommon.

Prosecution will probably drop the charges.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah you are probably right.

His NRL career is ovvvvver cya flog
Players keep getting paid if still under investigation. Fair enough. He was on $550k some one said so Dragons have paid for 2? years with no return.

What happens, if he is found guilty, to their club?

Does he have to repay the money handed out for his services? If not, the Dragons are penalised pretty bad for players stuffing up.

Its a bit stiff for the club if their player is found guilty and they've had to pay them to stand down all this time. Then they head off to jail or banned from playing on detention.

Needs to be looked at.

Last edited:

Malla

Reaction score
Players keep getting paid if still under investigation. He was on $550k some one said so Dragons have paid for 2? years with no return.

Does he have to repay the money handed out for his services?

Its a bit stiff for the club if their player is found guilty and they've had to pay them to stand down all this time. Then they head off to jail or banned from playing on detention.

Needs to be looked at.
I think it was up to Dragons at that point, they could have terminated his contract at the time but they stuck with him.

You see plenty of cases where players get caught up with the law and their contracts terminated.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Players keep getting paid if still under investigation. He was on $550k some one said so Dragons have paid for 2? years with no return.

Does he have to repay the money handed out for his services?

Needs to be looked at.
Do they at least get some sort of cap relief?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Do they at least get some sort of cap relief?
Not sure.

But doesnt seem right that (if he is found guilty) Dragons have to pay for his holiday and his mistake.

Not sure what could be fair tho.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure.

But doesnt seem right that (if he is found guilty) Dragons have to pay for his holiday and his mistake.

Not sure what could be fair tho.
I guess flip-side if he is innocent, and he misses out on income (not to mention his career irrecoverably damaged).

I don't necessarily disagree with standing down players charged with serious crimes, but these trials can take years.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I guess flip-side if he is innocent, and he misses out on income (not to mention his career irrecoverably damaged).

I don't necessarily disagree with standing down players charged with serious crimes, but these trials can take years.
Yeah its a hard one.
Not suggesting he be penalised out of hand.
Unless convicted he is entitled to be paid for sure.

I'm just looking from Saints pov if he is convicted as regards they get lumped with paying a crim thru no fault of their own.

But it was said by Malla they could have stood him down without pay, and chose not too.

I don't think he will be convicted but in future this problem for clubs paying guys should prob come out of insurance and not in the cap?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Players keep getting paid if still under investigation. Fair enough. He was on $550k some one said so Dragons have paid for 2? years with no return.

Does he have to repay the money handed out for his services? If not, the Dragons are penalised pretty bad for players stuffing up.

Needs to be looked at.
Not really

The club took the risk of keeping him on their books AND re-signing him.

Any other club could of taken the risk (although let's be honest - no one would of taken that chance on him given the current climate of guilty until proven innocent).

*edit* - and yes, there no-fault stand down cap relief

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I call innocent and sign him up Baz. Great player, fix our defensive issues. Imaging him and cheese chopping blokes in half

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
"The jury in the Jack De Belin, Callan Sinclair rape trial has been sent home for the day. Deliberations to resume on Wednesday."
-Kelly Fedor (9 News, Court Reporter)

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There's 5 charges i think, so it might be a matter of guilty for some and not for others.
I imagine they are the same 5 charges as original trial though? Didn't the jury decide pretty quickly in that trial that they weren't going to arrive at a majority decision... isn't it an all or nothing on that as well? As in, they have to agree an outcome on each charge... it would seem logical to me.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't it the longer they take the more it leans to acquittal? The last trial ended on a re-trail, can the judge order them to come to a verdict?

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What happens if the jury cant decide again? Another retrial?
Doubt it, if there have been two trials with hung juries it is only in exceptional circumstances that there will be a third retrial.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score

(thanks @Bulldog Wrestler)

Honestly... just call it a mistrial and be over with it. It has obviously come down to not enough circumstantial evidence either way, and now it is just he said/she said. That's the only way you can explain an original jury that gave up quite early, and now a jury that is unable to bridge differences of opinion.

I'm certain the judge will intervene tomorrow, to get the jury some assistance. Tomorrow will have to be the day.