Not open for further replies.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ponga = 1st choice backup. Cogger = between 4-6 with that plythian kid coming through.

Also their benefit to releasing is due to good will. It can help the image of the club, therefore possibly influencing future signings.
Who's to say Pearce doesn't do something stupid again and get suspended? What if Watson/Lamb get injured while Pearce is suspended? There's his spot in the team. What if Brown wants a back on the bench? Again his chances increase. The Knights haven't exactly had a great run with injuries recently, it's entirely possible that it continues.

Good will? Pfft. Like the good will we showed when we wouldn't release Graham to the Knights earlier in the season? Yh right. Knights are also in the process of potentially releasing Hodko to Manly, so they are prepared to let some players go, difference is that Brown wants Cogger and openly said he wanted to extend his contract.

Stop being so entitled, simple as that. They don't have to release him and people shouldn't expect them to. The Knights situation isn't even comparable to a lot of other clubs and it makes complete sense if they choose not to release him.

N

Natboy

Who's to say Pearce doesn't do something stupid again and get suspended? What if Watson/Lamb get injured while Pearce is suspended? There's his spot in the team. What if Brown wants a back on the bench? Again his chances increase. The Knights haven't exactly had a great run with injuries recently, it's entirely possible that it continues.

Good will? Pfft. Like the good will we showed when we wouldn't release Graham to the Knights earlier in the season? Yh right. Knights are also in the process of potentially releasing Hodko to Manly, so they are prepared to let some players go, difference is that Brown wants Cogger and openly said he wanted to extend his contract.

Stop being so entitled, simple as that. They don't have to release him and people shouldn't expect them to. The Knights situation isn't even comparable to a lot of other clubs and it makes complete sense if they choose not to release him.
We didn’t argue too much with them about the Matautia brothers.
I can see where the knights are coming from but it just sounds as though they are getting the cowboys back for not releasing Pongia via us which is lame

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I wouoldn't be surprised if we sign Lamb after all this speculation about Cogger.
Daniel Mortimer / Kris Keating lol. For this though id say the reporting is accurate given Pay has coached Cogger.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

What stupid shit has Pearce done other than the dog and the yellow dress? And the odds of Pearce, Watson, lamb, Hodkinson and Plythian going down all at the same time is a big fat zero. How am I being entitled? I have no expectations of the knights to release Cogger, it would be nice for us that is all.

Our situation with graham is irrelevant, as we are talking about knights and Cogger...

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
F*** off Knights. . They have Pearce & Watson as theirstarting halves.. then they have Hodko & Lamb as backup halfbacks and also Cogger..
We dont even have 1 definite halfback, they have like 5 and dont want to let anyone go..

I feel they are going to try to bluff us into a player swap which we should not do under any circumstances, F*** them!

With Pearce and Hodko & Lamb ahead of him their is little chance Cogger will get a run in NRL with the Knights.. do the right thing and release him you selfish ***ts

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What stupid shit has Pearce done other than the dog and the yellow dress? And the odds of Pearce, Watson, lamb, Hodkinson and Plythian going down all at the same time is a big fat zero. How am I being entitled? I have no expectations of the knights to release Cogger, it would be nice for us that is all.

Our situation with graham is irrelevant, as we are talking about knights and Cogger...
What are the odds? The Knights had Mullen, Hodko and Cogger all out at the same time last season for different periods of time and reasons. Hodko might also not be there as he's currently in the process of being released to potentially join Manly.

If Knights want to keep Cogger, then they have absolutely every right too. They're not being selfish, they're simply putting the club first. People can cry about it all they want.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We didn’t argue too much with them about the Matautia brothers.
I can see where the knights are coming from but it just sounds as though they are getting the cowboys back for not releasing Pongia via us which is lame
What about them?

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If we have really signed him, we need to do everything we can to get him here early. Offer Frawley, Cleland or Lewis if needed, the thought of Frawley in the 7 next year flattens my hopes for next year.

Agree with the comments about him not being let go:
  • Brown has to make or get very close to the 8 to keep his job safe, every point counts for him, so why is he going to let someone go that may help him get up to 6 points during rep rounds
  • Coggar would not be on a very big contract so the cost of keeping him is probably worth it. And Getting Hopkinson off their books would be a priority.
Our only hope is if they get stuck with Hodkinson.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What are the odds? The Knights had Mullen, Hodko and Cogger all out at the same time last season for different periods of time and reasons. Hodko might also not be there as he's currently in the process of being released to potentially join Manly.

If Knights want to keep Cogger, then they have absolutely every right too. They're not being selfish, they're simply putting the club first. People can cry about it all they want.
That’s 3 players vs 5 players.........................

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Isn't the kid from Greenacre?

Surely he must be homesick by now?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No it isn't. The Knights have every right to hold onto him. He's a local who they have developed for years, he has a contract and they want to compete so they want as much depth as possible...So why should they release him? Better yet the Knights could view the 8 as a real possibility, why strengthen us and potentially knock them further down the ladder?

List me 1 way it could possibly benefit the Knights to release him, i bet you can't. I do think he will be released and that will probably be the wrong call by them.
Seriously, you would argue black is white just for the sake of it. I never suggested it would be good for the knights. Of course its not. Its what is good for cogger.
Of course the knights have the right to hold onto him, and they probably will. But the right thing to do is to let him go bow so that he has the chance to play permanent first grade and lead a team, and also earn a lot more money.
Imagine you have a contract at your job and another company iffers you a management position and more money, but your current employer says no. Is black still white? Or can you see the sense in what im saying??

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I find it difficult to understand the support for a player who cant even crack FG at the worst club in the NRL. Surely Cleeland has to be first pick.
Because Pay has worked with him before and he probably wants his team not some of Haslers hand me downs like Cleeland and Frawley.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it isn't. The Knights have every right to hold onto him. He's a local who they have developed for years, he has a contract and they want to compete so they want as much depth as possible...So why should they release him? Better yet the Knights could view the 8 as a real possibility, why strengthen us and potentially knock them further down the ladder?

List me 1 way it could possibly benefit the Knights to release him, i bet you can't. I do think he will be released and that will probably be the wrong call by them.

So are you saying that the Knights have the right to hold onto him because he comes from the bulldogs area?

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Think about it mathematically dude, and I’m making stuff up:

We know Pearce has had 2 indiscretions in his past 10 year career, and I really don’t think the dog thing counts. So it’s a 20% chance (roughly) Pearce gets in dodo. You can probably argue less because Newcastle is a fortress and they protect their own (you should hear some stories about joey that never leaked to the press because the locals up there are loyal).

Watson and lamb getting injured, is let’s say 4% (In 2014 there was a 3.9% risk of players sustaining an injury that would rule them out of a game, down from 4.2% in 2012 and 6% in 2011.).

So chances of Pearce getting suspended, with with a half going down is really 4% x 4% x 20% = 3%.

Brown is being cautious.. he knows his halves pairing is set, and he has backups for days. You really need 1 cover.

N

Natboy

Hopefully he releases him and signs a forward. They get injured a lot more than halves & he’s signed a couple of old blokes

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a pretty crap situation if you have already offered Cogger the starting job for 2019 before a ball has been kicked in 2018. We still have Frawley and Cleeland at the club pushing for a halves birth so who knows how that will affect them knowing they are playing for a contract elsewhere. Also the Knights have been in the same position before with Tapine and he was released to the Raiders a year early.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Think about it mathematically dude, and I’m making stuff up:

We know Pearce has had 2 indiscretions in his past 10 year career, and I really don’t think the dog thing counts. So it’s a 20% chance (roughly) Pearce gets in dodo. You can probably argue less because Newcastle is a fortress and they protect their own (you should hear some stories about joey that never leaked to the press because the locals up there are loyal).

Watson and lamb getting injured, is let’s say 4% (In 2014 there was a 3.9% risk of players sustaining an injury that would rule them out of a game, down from 4.2% in 2012 and 6% in 2011.).

So chances of Pearce getting suspended, with with a half going down is really 4% x 4% x 20% = 3%.

Brown is being cautious.. he knows his halves pairing is set, and he has backups for days. You really need 1 cover.
Knights were missing Mullen, Hodko and Cogger at the same time for different reasons and periods of time last seasom, so it's entirely possible it happens again no matter how unlikely. Brown also rates Cogger highly and he was originally ahead of Lamb on the pecking order until he got injured.

Point is if Brown wants to keep him at the club then the Knights have every right too and nobody should complain about it. They gain nothing from releasing him. Brown will take every advantage possible to push for his best season yet and help secure his position at the club.

I also don't buy the "it's the right thing to do" that people are carrying on about. Yh it's beneficial for Cogger to move on, doesn't make it the right thing though.

Either way i hope he joins us asap, but if he doesn't i'm not going to cry about it and insult the Knights/Brown because we didn't get our way. Not like our club has done "the right thing" for a lot of our players recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.