Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
January 05, 2018 11:33am
Tony Webeck
FOX SPORTS
Newcastle’s aggressive recruitment drive will cost them outstanding young half Jack Cogger

Promising Knights half Jack Cogger looks destined for the Bulldogs in 2019. Photo: Tony Feder
Promising Knights half Jack Cogger looks destined for the Bulldogs in 2019. Photo: Tony Feder
OUTSTANDING young Newcastle halfback Jack Cogger is almost certainly headed to Belmore but Knights coach Nathan Brown has reaffirmed the club’s stance that he won’t be released a year early from his contract in order to partner Kieran Foran at the Bulldogs scrumbase.

Cogger was among the returning Knights players who resumed pre-season training on Thursday where speculation regarding his future and that of five-eighth Brock Lamb was a hot topic of conversation.

The recruitment of Roosters pair Mitchell Pearce and Connor Watson in the off-season has put significant roadblocks in the way of two 20-year-old halves that the club has brought through their junior representative system and Brown knows it is unlikely they will be able to keep both.

Cogger, who was captain of the New South Wales under-20s team in 2016 coached by new Bulldogs head coach Dean Pay and has played eight NRL games over the past two seasons, is reportedly close to signing off on a two-year deal to join Canterbury in 2019 but Brown was adamant any move to entice him to Sydney a year earlier would fall on deaf ears.

Mitchell Pearce and Connor Watson will likely start 2018 as the Knights’ first-choice halves pairing. Photo: Brett Costello
Mitchell Pearce and Connor Watson will likely start 2018 as the Knights’ first-choice halves pairing. Photo: Brett Costello
“Jack has fielded some interest from a number of clubs, Canterbury being the more prominent one,” Brown confirmed.

“From what I hear they are offering first opportunity as a starting halfback position.

“We’d certainly like Jack to stay, he’s a kid that we know has got a bright future in the game but we’re also aware if Jack wants to play halfback we’ve got Mitchell Pearce as well so that makes it tough.

“All we know is that Jack will be with us for this year.

“What progresses over the next few weeks I suppose is anyone’s guess but Canterbury is certainly interested in Jack.

“If he does leave we’ll be disappointed but on the other hand it’s good to have other clubs that actually want our players because that hasn’t been the case for a few years.”

The shock signing of Pearce on a four-year deal and the apparent promise that Watson will be given first crack at the No.6 jersey puts Lamb in a vulnerable position after the 20-year-old played 21 games in 2017 and made significant improvements as the season progressed.

He has a right to feel slighted if Watson is gifted direct passage into the jersey he has now worn 23 times in the top grade but Brown urged him not to make a rash decision with a carrot of what could eventuate in 2018.

Brock Lamb (left) has endured a tough initiation into first grade that featured a few bright spots late in the 2017 season. Photo: Darren Pateman
Brock Lamb (left) has endured a tough initiation into first grade that featured a few bright spots late in the 2017 season. Photo: Darren Pateman
“There’s a lot of water to go under the bridge yet. As we’ve said to Brock, we’d hate him to make a quick decision because who knows what might unfold this year,” said Brown.

“Some of these decisions aren’t monetary decisions, they’re more opportunity decisions.

“We’ve made it clear from day one that we wanted to keep both people but we always thought realistically there was a chance of losing one.

“If we do lose Jack certainly we’d obviously not want to lose Brock but these things will be decided by managers and other clubs with other influences and positions available within their squad.”

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouoldn't be surprised if we sign Lamb after all this speculation about Cogger.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I get the depth side of things but for Newie to hold a young player back who would get FG experience up especially after securing the clubs halves future with Pearce is very selfish. They have to many halves now, release one so he can get a chance.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get the depth side of things but for Newie to hold a young player back who would get FG experience up especially after securing the clubs halves future with Pearce is very selfish. They have to many halves now, release one so he can get a chance.
Think they are still pissed that the Cowboys didn’t release Ponga early so they are doing the same to us....

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
There's basically no upside in them releasing him other than being "nice". This is the first season in a long time where they will genuinely compete for a spot in the 8 so they're going to keep as much depth as possible. They also have no cap pressure and they're getting no one in return if they release him. I don't blame them for being selfish considering they've been shit for a very long time haha.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
There's basically no upside in them releasing him other than being "nice". This is the first season in a long time where they will genuinely compete for a spot in the 8 so they're going to keep as much depth as possible. They also have no cap pressure and they're getting no one in return if they release him. I don't blame them for being selfish considering they've been shit for a very long time haha.
They still have hodko on the books too don't they?

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or they realise Pearce is suspect and are being careful...
Id do the same if that flake played for us

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah you can. The reality in rugby league these days is that clubs allow players to leave to take up a better opportunity. Whether it be a fatter paycheck, a longer contract towards the end of their career, or in this case first grade opportunity. We have done it for a number of players in recent years, and most clubs will do it.
The knights have an established half pairing signed for several years, so give the kid the chance he deserves to play fg, even if its not in a knights jersey.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Yes it would be a shame if 3 out of the 4 Knights 1st choice halves got injured and they would not be able to call on their 5th choice to potentially secure another spoon.

beaudean

Waterboy
Reaction score
Does anyone have clips/highlights of him I've never seen him play

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah you can. The reality in rugby league these days is that clubs allow players to leave to take up a better opportunity. Whether it be a fatter paycheck, a longer contract towards the end of their career, or in this case first grade opportunity. We have done it for a number of players in recent years, and most clubs will do it.
The knights have an established half pairing signed for several years, so give the kid the chance he deserves to play fg, even if its not in a knights jersey.
No it isn't. The Knights have every right to hold onto him. He's a local who they have developed for years, he has a contract and they want to compete so they want as much depth as possible...So why should they release him? Better yet the Knights could view the 8 as a real possibility, why strengthen us and potentially knock them further down the ladder?

List me 1 way it could possibly benefit the Knights to release him, i bet you can't. I do think he will be released and that will probably be the wrong call by them.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think they are still pissed that the Cowboys didn’t release Ponga early so they are doing the same to us....
Nope they are still pissed that we didn't release graham to them when browny was chasing hard. So they are giving us a little payback, haha.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
No it isn't. The Knights have every right to hold onto him. He's a local who they have developed for years, he has a contract and they want to compete so they want as much depth as possible...So why should they release him? Better yet the Knights could view the 8 as a real possibility, why strengthen us and potentially knock them further down the ladder?

List me 1 way it could possibly benefit the Knights to release him, i bet you can't. I do think he will be released and that will probably be the wrong call by them.
Flamebuoyant is right most clubs let a player go when they arent going to feature heavily in 1st grade and a better opportunity weather it be opportunity or $$ presents itself its very common,brown is just being a flog,when the ceo gets back he might let him go

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Flamebuoyant is right most clubs let a player go when they arent going to feature heavily in 1st grade and a better opportunity weather it be opportunity or $$ presents itself its very common,brown is just being a flog,when the ceo gets back he might let him go
So what? Brown isn't being a flog, he's putting the club first by not allowing him to leave early. I think he will get a released anyway, but if doesn't i'm not going to shit on Brown when he has every right to keep him and put the club first. Cowboys didn't release Ponga for that exact reason and nobody gave a shit because it was "only Newcastle".

People need to stop acting so entitled, the Dogs literally shit on our captain and forced him out, yet now some of our fans expect Cogger should be released to us asap because it's the "right thing" to do.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I was completely making comment from a neutral stand point. I honestly had never heard of the kid prior to this thread so I don't know if he is good or not let alone really caring at this stage if it's him (Cogger) or that Lewis kid. All I am saying is that Newie had like 4 halves already and then sign one of the better ones in the comp, either way they still have depth so they really don't need to take this stance. Release the young kid if that is what he wants to chase a FG spot, clearly he ain't getting it with them otherwise they wouldn't have signed Pearce. I think it's out of spite and nothing else.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So what? Brown isn't being a flog, he's putting the club first by not allowing him to leave early. I think he will get a released anyway, but if doesn't i'm not going to shit on Brown when he has every right to keep him and put the club first. Cowboys didn't release Ponga for that exact reason and nobody gave a shit because it was "only Newcastle".

People need to stop acting so entitled, the Dogs literally shit on our captain and forced him out, yet now some of our fans expect Cogger should be released to us asap because it's the "right thing" to do.
Ponga = 1st choice backup. Cogger = between 4-6 with that plythian kid coming through.

Also their benefit to releasing is due to good will. It can help the image of the club, therefore possibly influencing future signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.