Official Ivan Cleary hospitalised with blood clots

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can strike an any age. Family friend in her early 30s with no history of clots copped a massive blood clot (pulmonary embolism) in her lungs recently.

She's thankfully on the mend, and they believe it was a combination of underlying genetic issue and oral contraception pill which triggered it.

Regardless what you think of Cleary, health is something we all take for granted at times as the only stable/given in our lives. When health is impacted we realise we aren't as invincible as we thought.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Could be anything. Some chick rolled her ankle at work the other week and it caused blood clots in her ankle. Hopefully he's better soon

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had both of my Achilles tendons re attached and and had issues with blood clots so can talk from experience. When you have leg surgery and are immobile for a few weeks/months you may get clots. Generally you need to have blood thinning injections or medication to try and prevent clots while recovering. If you had your leg in plaster for a period of time , when they take it off they will send you for an ultrasound to check for any clots in calves, If there is it can be serious if they travel past the knee. They can end up in your lungs, brain or heart . Generally if you have clots you will need to be on blood thinners and checked regularly to see if they are reducing, if not then they may need to open the veins to remove the clots.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I have had both of my Achilles tendons re attached and and had issues with blood clots so can talk from experience. When you have leg surgery and are immobile for a few weeks/months you may get clots. Generally you need to have blood thinning injections or medication to try and prevent clots while recovering. If you had your leg in plaster for a period of time , when they take it off they will send you for an ultrasound to check for any clots in calves, If there is it can be serious if they travel past the knee. They can end up in your lungs, brain or heart . Generally if you have clots you will need to be on blood thinners and checked regularly to see if they are reducing, if not then they may need to open the veins to remove the clots.
Can you feel the blood clot at all?

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you feel the blood clot at all?
I had two 15cm blood clots in my left calf. Only time I knew they were there was when I had the ultrasound and they pushed down on my calf then I felt a small discomfort. But the first give away is your feet we swell up and become red/purple as the blood can go down to foot but not come back up, the artery pumps the blood into foot, but the veins cant bring it back up because the clot is blocking the way.

The reason Ivan must be in ICU is the clots must have moved and gone past his knee. then it can be dangerous.