News Ivan Cleary backs Penrith Panthers 'culture' to turn Tevita Pangai Junior around

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
So full of himself. Cleary's mob will go down as the greatest team never to win a premiership.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not if daycare allow it with flimsy rules. Parents may be staunch, and child sees opportunity to play up under a different watch. I agree with ur initial statement Ivan’s saying what he did was silly. But where’s Fittlers responsibility to all this, it was under his watch not Ivan’s

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Give the panthers a rest for fucks sake guys! They have been killing it for the past 2 years, while we have been anchored to the bottom of the table. Weare hardly in any position to criticise their culture. Hate Ivan Cleary as much as you like, but TPJ going there is only a massive positive for us!!! He will play with Naden and Burton, and will experience the winning vibe they have.
Did you notice how NSW celebrated every try when Luai and Cleary were playing? This is how penrif celebrate every single try. The bond those guys have is amazing. We can only hope TPJ and the others bring this with them to elmore!!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ok I will bite, at what?
Here is what Cleary actually said, as quoted in the article:

In response to the suggestion that TPG might upset the apple cart of the close knit group of players in Penriff:

"That's where our culture will get tested. I feel like culture will multiply talent if it's good, I don't think there's any doubt that Tevita Pangai Junior is a very talented young man," Cleary said.

"I just feel like for a short period of time in our environment we're really confident he can add to us and we might be able to help him a bit as well."

And that is it, that is the grand total content of what Cleary said that relates to the headline. The rest of it is about how TPG ended up getting signed for 3 months, and what is happening for JFH.

Rather than say anything big headed about Penriff's culture, he acknowledges that their culture could be tested. If anything he states strongly what TPG can offer Penriff, while down playing what Penriff can do for TPG. And does anyone disagree that good culture multiplies talent?

There is nothing in there about "turning" TPG around. Nothing particularly overstated about Penriff's culture per se. I don't think anyone would disagree that the Penriff blokes are pretty close.

Headlines frequently misrepresent people and organisations. The Clearys suck for actual reasons, not stuff made up by some sub-editor writing a headline.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Here is what Cleary actually said, as quoted in the article:

In response to the suggestion that TPG might upset the apple cart of the close knit group of players in Penriff:

"That's where our culture will get tested. I feel like culture will multiply talent if it's good, I don't think there's any doubt that Tevita Pangai Junior is a very talented young man," Cleary said.

"I just feel like for a short period of time in our environment we're really confident he can add to us and we might be able to help him a bit as well."

And that is it, that is the grand total content of what Cleary said that relates to the headline. The rest of it is about how TPG ended up getting signed for 3 months, and what is happening for JFH.

Rather than say anything big headed about Penriff's culture, he acknowledges that their culture could be tested. If anything he states strongly what TPG can offer Penriff, while down playing what Penriff can do for TPG. And does anyone disagree that good culture multiplies talent?

There is nothing in there about "turning" TPG around. Nothing particularly overstated about Penriff's culture per se. I don't think anyone would disagree that the Penriff blokes are pretty close.

Headlines frequently misrepresent people and organisations. The Clearys suck for actual reasons, not stuff made up by some sub-editor writing a headline.
Yeah noice…

But Fuck him, his son and all the choccy soldiers. Our POWERHOUSE of a club has been dormant for too fucking long...But, now with Khourey, Laundy, Hansen and Gus we have the the right mix of admin, footy brains, talent and financial clout. We are back baby!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah noice…

But Fuck him, his son and all the choccy soldiers. Our POWERHOUSE of a club has been dormant for too fucking long...But, now with Khourey, Laundy, Hansen and Gus we have the the right mix of admin, footy brains, talent and financial clout. We are back baby!
I'm going to keep my powder dry, and go to town when the day comes and we both beat them and are ahead of them on the table. Not if, but when.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give the panthers a rest for fucks sake guys! They have been killing it for the past 2 years, while we have been anchored to the bottom of the table. Weare hardly in any position to criticise their culture. Hate Ivan Cleary as much as you like, but TPJ going there is only a massive positive for us!!! He will play with Naden and Burton, and will experience the winning vibe they have.
Did you notice how NSW celebrated every try when Luai and Cleary were playing? This is how penrif celebrate every single try. The bond those guys have is amazing. We can only hope TPJ and the others bring this with them to elmore!!
Exactly right. Some of the comments on here are just stupid.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You guys are obsessed with Cleary/Penrith ffs. At least I'm obsessed with our players :tearsofjoy:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they were already working on getting him for this year before he decided to join us

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TPJ will Flourish in that panthers team. I’m glad he’ll be there before he comes to us. The Panthers are super professional, have a world class set up and training facilities and he will play with a caliber of players that are super stars. He will come to us after spending time in a positive and winning environment as opposed to coming here from a Broncos camp who are last years wooden spooners and will do well to not get it again this season.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haven't read the article, couldn't be bothered.....besides don't need to read it to know that Ivan's a cocky prick!!!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ivan Cleary is the biggest nob in the NRL.
Worst coach but blessed with players and thinks his king shit.
Even just his face and his arrogance. Makes you want to rip a after Spicy Indian food diarrhea on his face. But he looks like the type that would actually enjoy it :confounded:

waiting for the headlines next year how he and the panthers turned him around and made him a gun (if his career kicks on)

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There's a difference between having a talented group of individuals and having a good culture. If penrith actually had a good culture Tyrone May wouldn't have done what he did, Nathan Cleary wouldn't have made a Tiktok video flouting lockdown and then lying about it, Brent Naden wouldn't have been having nose beers the night before a GF and Api wouldn't be putting the game at risk to bang random groupies behind his wife's back so Cleary can take his culture and stick it where the sun don't shine