Opinion It's going to be a tragedy if we go back to structured footy

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Seriously FUCK ALL UPCOMING ASSITANT YOUNG COACHES! THESE DUMB ***** AND THEIR "DATA DATA DATA" bullshit does not fucking work! Ciraldo will fail JUST like baz did. The clubs needs an experienced old head. How blind is this club? Biggest wins and best performances weve had since 2012. And yet they dont wanna sign Potter?! Gus needs to come out and give a full fledged explanation.

Fuck the laundys meeting with Ciraldo in a bid to sign him!

Fuck complicated defensive structures. Thats a fucking myth. Outside simple defensive setups
good defence is just fucking attitude and will power, thats all defence is in every fucking sport. Attack on the other hand is where the main tactical focus comes in.

Like honestly, what more would Ciraldo bring re defensive improvement? Seriously? How much more can defence be improved outside basic structures and a shit ton of attitude and will to keep going?!

A head coach needs to have the players respect, needs to know how to navigate and man manage, needs to know how to get the best out of his players in key positions. Potter ticks all!

#Potter2030! #FuckAllUpcomingAssistants #FuckPanthers #Fuck Ciraldo.
Settle down mate.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You know assistants are extremely important to coach a successful rugby league team. Look at Fitzgibbon at the Roosters, he essentially carried the defensive aspect and now they have fallen off dramatically in terms of defense to how good they were a couple of years ago. Ciraldo and Potter will work very well together on their best aspects towards the team which is good because Ciraldo runs the great panthers defense, one of the best in the league the last couple of years and Potter runs the attack in which is excelling right now.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im certain if we dont offer Potter a role in some capacity he will be scouted by another club, his comments yesterday was yes to both questions about the job or a role. Hes interested and doesn't take shit or talk shit, these alone is a reason to keep him on the pay roll.

Last edited:

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If he can bring that Penrith style of defence and we keep that attacking mindset we will strike gold.
Potter seems to not want the full time stress of a head coach.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously FUCK ALL UPCOMING ASSITANT YOUNG COACHES! THESE DUMB ***** AND THEIR "DATA DATA DATA" bullshit does not fucking work! Ciraldo will fail JUST like baz did. The clubs needs an experienced old head. How blind is this club? Biggest wins and best performances weve had since 2012. And yet they dont wanna sign Potter?! Gus needs to come out and give a full fledged explanation.

Fuck complicated defensive structures. Thats a fucking myth. Outside simple defensive setups
good defence is just fucking attitude and will power, thats all defence is in every fucking sport. Attack on the other hand is where the main tactical focus comes in.

Like honestly, what more would Ciraldo bring re defensive improvement? Seriously? How much more can defence be improved outside basic structures and a shit ton of attitude and will to keep going?!

A head coach needs to have the players respect, needs to know how to navigate and man manage, needs to know how to get the best out of his players in key positions. Potter ticks all!

When Barrett got sacked, how many of you here wanted Potter as the head coach? I don’t remember seeing one single post recommending or voting for Potter. But, Gus went out and got Potter. My point is, Gus knows what he is doing so just trust the process. If Gus thinks Ciraldo is the man for the job, let’s give him a chance before death riding him. You may end up surprised with Gus’ decision just like you are now with the signing of Potter

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont get it, why would Ciraldo change our attack? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I still think we look clunky in the opposition 20 so I'd like to see us come up with a few more set plays. No doubt Mahoney providing better service will help as will Kikau on the left edge who will give us another option

I just cant see Ciraldo coming in and telling the boys to stop offloading or telling Burton to stop kicking to JAC. Why the hell would he do that?

Our defense was good yesterday but we were playing the worst attacking team in the comp, minus their best player, so Ciraldo's job is to fix our defense and get us fit. If he does that we can challenge for a top 4 spot next year

I just cant see Ciraldo coming in and reverting to Desball. Potter deserves to be attacking coach but more importantly he deserves a statue outside of Belmore oval for finally being the coach to rid us of that disgusting cancer known as Desball. Thank you Mick.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Think Potter put himself out of the running early and is only recently throwing his hat in the ring.

I doubt he’ll leave, he was an assistant with us already and it’s very likely he’ll stay on even if we get Ciraldo

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Potter's doing well. Credit to him. Doesn't mean he's the answer tho.

Have said it before and will say it again.

Coaching and playing when you're expected to get the spoon is entirely different to when you're coaching top 8 and teams in the finals.

There's no pressure on Potter or the team as the expectation was to get the wooden spoon. Anything above that is a miracle.
Hes the closest thing to an answer we have had in 10 years. Not looking forward to waiting to see if someone like ciraldo "might" work out. Done enough of that recently with rookie coaches

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's good structures and bad structures. Desball was terrible and for some reason Pay and Barrett couldn't snap us out of it. But we've got plenty of players who can attack now and no new coach is going to ignore that. Penrith have a structure which still allows players to play to their strengths and react to what's in front of them. Brisbane have way more structure this year with Adam Reynolds but are also way more entertaining. Personally I'd prefer a half who can bring more structure at times, particularly when we're going through bad periods.

I'd be happy if Potter stayed on but I don't think we need to fear that Ciraldo would blunt our attack and make us boring again.

berryboy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Well said. Stick to what we have now and it will snowball. The players are loving it

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
potter has proven he can lead this team. The players look happy. The wins are coming. Why would we hire a new coach and start from scratch. Surely gould listens to the stakeholders and appoints potter permanently

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont get it, why would Ciraldo change our attack? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I still think we look clunky in the opposition 20 so I'd like to see us come up with a few more set plays. No doubt Mahoney providing better service will help as will Kikau on the left edge who will give us another option

I just cant see Ciraldo coming in and telling the boys to stop offloading or telling Burton to stop kicking to JAC. Why the hell would he do that?

Our defense was good yesterday but we were playing the worst attacking team in the comp, minus their best player, so Ciraldo's job is to fix our defense and get us fit. If he does that we can challenge for a top 4 spot next year

I just cant see Ciraldo coming in and reverting to Desball. Potter deserves to be attacking coach but more importantly he deserves a statue outside of Belmore oval for finally being the coach to rid us of that disgusting cancer known as Desball. Thank you Mick.
Nailed it.
This isnt to dump shit on previous coach's, just observational -
Pay would say "we are building". We didnt build anything.
Baz would say the players are buying into what we are building. They looked miserable.
Potter sais, 'Im happy for them to to play to their abilities' and doesnt hold back on calling out when we are poor.

Finally there is spark and momentum, something the next coach can build on.
Our attack is far from brilliant.
You pointed out glaring issues using yesturdays game. We didnt play for 80 mins being another.
Its all good.
I trust that Gus and the next coach will know how to move forward.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Potter seems he's enjoying head duties again and possibly feels he's ready now.
If we sign Ciraldo, Potter might not want an assistant role anymore. With so many struggling teams looking to move their coaches on, every win we get boosts Potter's credentials elsewhere.
Hope it's not the case and the best outcome for us takes it course.
I would keep him and let him have a big say on the selection of his defensive staff.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we have been the 'Entertainers' and the 'Dogs of War', we have been unfashionable and we have been the 'bling boys'... play to our strengths on and off the field and I will be happy

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
CC can focus on our defence that needs to be fixed ASAP

Potts sticks with attack.

PS IMO I think Potts is going well as there isn't any pressure to perform on his shoulders. Attacking coach is a must for him.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When Barrett got sacked, how many of you here wanted Potter as the head coach? I don’t remember seeing one single post recommending or voting for Potter. But, Gus went out and got Potter. My point is, Gus knows what he is doing so just trust the process. If Gus thinks Ciraldo is the man for the job, let’s give him a chance before death riding him. You may end up surprised with Gus’ decision just like you are now with the signing of Potter
Me. What were the alternatives? Furner, Sandercock or Tangata-Toa.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Keep the current attack and just shore up the defense.

Structured teams hate playing against teams who throw it around,which is most of the good teams
In Outback Queensland right now. Just got to see the full replay this afternoon in Winton.
I'm over the moon at the way the Dogs are playing.
The Knights had the glut of possession but were stopped time and time again.
I thought our defence in the second half was outstanding.