Opinion It hurts now but

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That one really stings but isnt it nice to see us giving it to the good sides instead of getting battered. Our form has been good generally of late, we are heading in the right direction for sure, just havent learned how to play in situations like that, we should have won, had the lead twice and gave some real poor tries away, the last try was shocking aswell. It hurts alot but thinking positively, this is the best we ve looked in years, we still lack depth, players like burns are tragic. Gave a good fight there tho and when we add players like kikau and mahoney and learn how to handle them type of games, we ll be right up there for sure

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That one really stings but isnt it nice to see us giving it to the good sides instead of getting battered. Our form has been good generally of late, we are heading in the right direction for sure, just havent learned how to play in situations like that, we should have won, had the lead twice and gave some real poor tries away, the last try was shocking aswell. It hurts alot but thinking positively, this is the best we ve looked in years, we still lack depth, players like burns are tragic. Gave a good fight there tho and when we add players like kikau and mahoney and learn how to handle them type of games, we ll be right up there for sure
Good platform, plenty of good things to work from. We have the rest of the season to iron out our weak points and continue giving our juniors game time and experience in firstgrade so we are primed for next season.

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well said mate, plenty to like about tonight, but also a fair bit to work on. We’re not far off though..

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have Kikau and Mahoney coming as well next year!

Proud of the way we've been playing tbh, we just need to learn how to ice games and we'll be sweet

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As Baz would say, some green shoots there with Kiraz, Casey and Morrin especially

Add in Kikau and Reed and who knows who else we pick up with Thommo money (surely he’s gone) ..I’m expecting top 8 next season

I’ll be happy to firstly avoid the spoon then finish around 10 or 9 (top 8 probably foregone conclusion now)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Next step is developing some structure and control, we've proven we have a fair bit of footballing ability in our team but we really need to polish our game up if we want to be pushing for the 8 next season. Not too much we can actually work on now in regards to that though so hopefully we just keep plugging away at combinations and trying a few different things and fixing up the basics.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Next step is developing some structure and control, we've proven we have a fair bit of footballing ability in our team but we really need to polish our game up if we want to be pushing for the 8 next season. Not too much we can actually work on now in regards to that though so hopefully we just keep plugging away at combinations and trying a few different things and fixing up the basics.
It's our mental aptitude specifically after hitting the lead. Time and time again we hand over leads as quickly as we earned it. We've shown this about 5 times this year where we should have won games. Scoring ability great. Holding the lead needs to be worked on. Just laziness.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's our mental aptitude specifically after hitting the lead. Time and time again we hand over leads as quickly as we earned it. We've shown this about 5 times this year where we should have won games. Scoring ability great. Holding the lead needs to be worked on. Just laziness.
I think it's just inexperience and a lack of leadership. Game management just isn't where it needs to be at while our kicking game is still quite poor. I'm obviously singling Burton out but we have another 3 kicking options. We would put a lot less pressure on us defensively if we actually make the opposition start their sets from poor positions. Fitness is also an issue but not much we can do about that now.

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not sure I’ve ever felt as positive after a loss. Souths are coming into some form and will be a serious contender this year once they stitch together an 80 minute effort. They also have Latrell who was basically the difference today, NSW probably win last week if he’s there, he is an absolute beast and he carried them on his back today.

We are scoring points (and lots of them) both in close and length of the field… we have young guys who are settling themselves into first grade because we’re having faith in them and allowing them the space to get used to it… we have a few really really good players who actually play really really well most weeks... we have some maligned players who are getting more confident (Flanagan was close to our best today)… and we are actually playing guys in their best position (Averillo, TPJ) and telling them to do their job and have some fun doing it.

We are on the right track, things are looking up.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best 2nd half no ref's tough game would of been nice with the win but I can't complain bring on next year....

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s just nice to get off the lounge cheering sone cracking tries after the last couple of seasons!
Exactly. The last few weeks has been great. For the first time in YEARS I've been jumping off the couch and celebrating tries. I've gone from not giving a crap when we get flogged by 50 to now celebrating every try. The passion and excitement is back

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. The last few weeks has been great. For the first time in YEARS I've been jumping off the couch and celebrating tries. I've gone from not giving a crap when we get flogged by 50 to now celebrating every try. The passion and excitement is back
When Vaughan got his try I was off the lounge fist pumping. My 3 year old didn’t know what was going on.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averillo at fullback is only getting better and the team is gelling well.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Still plenty of work to be done. A few players could use a kick up the arse. But with no coach for next year and where we are on the ladder accountability is not really a priority.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
80 mins of our best is needed.
We had it won - 3 tries in last 10 mins to lose is poor.
We are on our way up. Still a lot to do.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Game management is crucial. We dont have a lot of it. The plan to give the ball to Burton
on the 5th is always expected and the opposition knows it. And they plan ahead as they know it will happen.
We need a new on field manager. JJ is a warrior, but he is not an organiser. We need someone like Foran.
Maybe Mahoney might be the answer.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's just a matter of locking up the ball, and preventing late offloads. Mitchell would never have scored if we did what Souths did all game, and put our hands all over the ball.

We are more concerned about holding down their arms in tackles, while their hands are free to flick out a well timed pass.

A third defender should be standing behind the tackled player, looking to catch a late offload.