Israel Folau back

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
How else would you word being restricted to your employer's policies in all aspects of your life?
Nobody is doing that. Was Folau told what to say in church? Was he told what to say in conversation with family of close friends? His employers policies did not extend to “all aspects of his life”.... they just required that as a representative of his country, he refrain from posting potentially divisive things on social media.... he entered into that agreement willingly.

Whether you agree a company should have the right to do that or not, he had the freedom to decline to sign the contract, he wasn’t forced to do anything. He chose to accept the terms of condition of his employment and was remunerated very generously for his efforts.

Slaves are not typically afforded do much freedom.

Come on, dude.... I can see you feel very strongly about this and are definitely entitled to that opinion, but you’re being a little hyperbolic. Certain social media restrictions do not equate to a hotel erosion of freedom and we all sacrifice some freedoms out of obligation. That is life.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Where is the logic in that? If they won't get 10 mill and know it, why would they try for more?

You say he's a man of faith? I say he's a man of obscene greed and stupidity. A bottom feeder of the lowest order.
If you were guaranteed $14,000,000 and got screwed out of it, don't tell me you wouldn't fight for it. You and I both know you will. Faith has nothing to do with unfair dismissal. He did nothing illegal.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If you were guaranteed $14,000,000 and got screwed out of it, don't tell me you wouldn't fight for it. You and I both know you will. Faith has nothing to do with unfair dismissal. He did nothing illegal.
Nobody is saying he did anything illegal, just that he breached a contract. Whether that is the case or not (or whether the contract was legit from a legal standpoint) will be determined by the court. People who have not committed any illegal acts are dismissed from contracts all the time.......

As far as the 14 million figure goes, it wasn't a guaranteed sum. It's an inflated figure based on the assumption he could/ would have been made captain when there is no evidence of that. If iot had been a guaranteed sum, he would have made that clear in his initial claim. I think you kind of look at what he's doing through rose coloured glasses because he is religious. I think he's a greedy dropkick who is trying to milk this situation for every dollar and cent he can possibly extract.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Before I ask the below question - note that I do not think highly of him as an individual. I have halfheartedly been following this, but there is something that has bugged me about all this...

Do we have actual confirmation that he breached his contract? Strip away the social media comments, and reading some articles (see first link below)- that highlights that nothing was put in his contract that his agreement with RA would be in jeopardy, if he was to use social media in the way he had done previously.

Then we have another article, stipulating he breached the code of conduct, which I would assume one agrees to automatically, when signing a contract (see second link). And the argument is, if he is sharing his religious views (we can talk about the impact of this kind of conversation separately), would that not go against the Fair Work Act?

Or is everyone referring to the verbal agreement he gave Ray Ray as a clause in the contract that he should have abided by?

Not trying to cause divide here. As I said - I personally do not give this situation much fuel, I just genuinely want to know exactly what he has done wrong, which led to his dismissal (again, not talking about the content of the post itself, but what caused RA to terminate him).

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ulnerable-in-folau-storm-20190515-p51npe.html
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06...gby-australia-for-breach-of-contract/11185064

Last edited:

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I don’t think Rugby Australia is coming to the negotiating table. I think they are very confident of winning and not having to pay a cent.
They had better hope so, because there is a very real chance that if they lose, then the sport of Rugby in Australia will cease to exist. They quite possibly will not be able to afford the cost of damages + Folau's legal fees.

Then again, some entitled rich GPS schools/parents will probably put together a few million quite easily.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Could've captained the Wallabies?

I laughed so hard at that a bit of wee came out.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being an atheist I previously couldn't give a shit and was happy to sign him as I know there is no hell.

But after his comments about the bushfires I admit he is just nuts and probably not want to play on Sundays ala Hoppa or Friday night because God died on a Friday (Funny how its called Good Friday, I call its a shit way to spend Friday). I think he will be free on Saturday to play though.

Finally my plan on how to get enough money to win another premiership is moving forward as I now know he will be depositing $14M into his churches poor box!

That should just about put us on a level playing field with the Roosters.

Banned
Reaction score
Nobody is saying he did anything illegal, just that he breached a contract. Whether that is the case or not (or whether the contract was legit from a legal standpoint) will be determined by the court. People who have not committed any illegal acts are dismissed from contracts all the time.......

As far as the 14 million figure goes, it wasn't a guaranteed sum. It's an inflated figure based on the assumption he could/ would have been made captain when there is no evidence of that. If iot had been a guaranteed sum, he would have made that clear in his initial claim. I think you kind of look at what he's doing through rose coloured glasses because he is religious. I think he's a greedy dropkick who is trying to milk this situation for every dollar and cent he can possibly extract.
Breach of legal contract, being fought in a court of law, yet nothing illegal allegedly done?
Things that make you go hmm...

Wahesh

Reaction score

Breach of legal contract, being fought in a court of law, yet nothing illegal allegedly done?
The way I see it, unfair dismissal is a crime. He was sacked based on something religious he posted which can be seen as a form of religious discrimination. He did nothing illegal, and it could be argued though that RA has.

I've said this time and time again. This is ALL Raelene needed to say:

"Rugby Australia does not share the same views on gay marriage as Israel Folau!"

THAT'S IT - END OF STORY. QANTAS would've been happy that the team they sponsor don't agree with him, Izzy would've still had a job, and this whole shit storm would've been avoided.

But no, let's let Raelene run the show, and in the process, run the team into the ground.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some part of me hopes Folau wins, that way when I wear a shirt to work that says "Religions are for Retards" and I get sacked, I can sue for $14mill as I could've been promoted to Supreme Ruler of the Known Universe before I retired.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The way I see it, unfair dismissal is a crime. He was sacked based on something religious he posted which can be seen as a form of religious discrimination. He did nothing illegal, and it could be argued though that RA has.

"Rugby Australia does not share the same views on gay marriage as Israel Folau!"

THAT'S IT - END OF STORY. QANTAS would've been happy that the team they sponsor don't agree with him, Izzy would've still had a job, and this whole shit storm would've been avoided.

But no, let's let Raelene run the show, and in the process, run the team into the ground.
Didn't she say that the first time he "transgressed" and Qantas complained?

Wahesh

Reaction score
Some part of me hopes Folau wins, that way when I wear a shirt to work that says "Religions are for Retards" and I get sacked, I can sue for $14mill as I could've been promoted to Supreme Ruler of the Known Universe before I retired.
Yes, however in order for that to happen:
  • You have to have a job
  • You have to get fired from said job
  • You have to prove that you stood to earn $14,000,000 before you retired.
Considering that you're an active member of the Kennel, I think it's fair to say you're still quite a few paychecks off $14,000,000.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This is what worries me. You won't be able to look sideways at someone (exaggerate) and they'll take you to court siting this judgement, if successful. A pandora's box of litigation.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Didn't she say that the first time he "transgressed" and Qantas complained?
I think if she distanced RA from his comments then QANTAS would've been happy.

At worst he could've been dropped from the Wallabies but still had a RA contract to play with the Waratahs etc...

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what worries me. You won't be able to look sideways at someone (exaggerate) and they'll take you to court siting this judgement, if successful. A pandora's box of litigation.
Cannot agree with you more. And I wonder if the consequences of a judgement is taken into consideration when a judgement is made?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

That's pretty much what she did say....then Folau agreed not to do it again, gave his WORD that he would walk away if he put RA in a difficult position with its sponsors and shareholders again ....and went and did it anyway.

He went back on his own word and it's pretty obvious he was going to cause more PR headaches in the future.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, however in order for that to happen:
  • You have to have a job
  • You have to get fired from said job
  • You have to prove that you stood to earn $14,000,000 before you retired.
Considering that you're an active member of the Kennel, I think it's fair to say you're still quite a few paychecks off $14,000,000.
What you don't think I'd make a tremendous Supreme Ruler of the Known Universe with my great and unmatched wisdom?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Well, there is contract law and there is criminal law, I guess. I guess anything dealing with the law is a matter of legality.