Isaiya Katoa signs with Dolphins, Brandy spits the Dummy

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/mar...r-great-recession/ar-AAU0iW9?ocid=mailsignout
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...restrictions-ease/ar-AATZUSW?ocid=mailsignout
1645138500551.pngThe Penrith Panthers are furious after seeing another one of their prodigious junior talents poached by a rival club, with club icon Greg Alexander the latest to call on the NRL to act.

While nothing has been officially announced, new franchise the Dolphins has pulled off what some are calling their biggest signing yet with the acquisition of teenage sensation Isaiya Katoa.

The emerging halfback has reportedly inked a three-year deal to link up with Wayne Bennett and join the Dolphins for their inaugural season in 2023.

Penrith, who are believed to manage one of the NRL's finest junior talent programs, have been outspoken in the past about rival clubs snatching their developing players without compensation.

Speaking on SEN 1170 on Friday, Alexander, who sits on Penrith's board, admitted Katoa's move to Redcliffe had struck a nerve within the club.

"It's very disappointing when you lose a player that you want to keep and it doesn't happen often that you really want to keep a junior and he goes somewhere else," Alexander said.

"But that's what's happened. Now it has caused some problems within the club and I can understand how everyone feels when you develop juniors and they get poached.

"I'm pretty sure there's a nominal fee by the club that takes him, whether it's the QRL or Dolphins that will pay that fee, but it's a small fee so you're not getting compensated for the money you invest in your player."

Alexander's comments follow those of Panthers CEO Bryan Fletcher, who told The Daily Telegraph something needed to be done to incentivise clubs like the Panthers who devote significant resources to junior development.

“There has to be protection or compensation,” Fletcher said “It’s a waste of time developing them. For us and other developing clubs (rival teams) can just sit there and pluck them out.

“It’s frustrating but that’s the rules at the moment.”

With NSW Origin pairing Nathan Cleary (24) and Jarome Luai (25) locked in as Penrith's halves and potentially set to be Panthers for life, Katoa would have faced a challenging path to the NRL at the foot of the mountains.

Alexander understands the decision to move to the Dolphins was in Katoa's best interests as he looks to become a starting NRL halfback but believes a change to the current system is desperately needed.

"You can't keep all of them," he said.

"I can understand the business side of it.

"There is a lot of movement within junior clubs but I guess when you lose one that you don't want to lose it hurts.

"The league should be compensating clubs for developing juniors."

Katoa is currently playing for Penrith's under-19 SG Ball side this season, scoring two tries and kicking eight goals in the opening two games.

The brother of former Bulldogs hooker Sione Katoa, he also had a future in rugby union after representing NSW in the 15-man code while attending Barker College before sticking with league.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Oh boo hoo Brandy.

1. I'm sure you guys aren't going to be letting go of Nathan Cleary soon
  2. The Panthers are the Premiers, naturally other clubs are going to be targetting players from a successful team

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They didn't have a problem winning the comp with a stack of local juniors last year?

Hes right - there needs to be some compensation for the higher developing clubs, but they are coming across as sooks.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Clubs should be encouraged to provide opportunities and to develop young players. Clubs with larger junior leagues have an advantage but some form of salary cap dispensation eg X dollars for a player developed from HM, Y dollars for a player developed from SGBall if they become a top 30 contracted player or fg player at any club.
eg Bunnies developed Sualli from HM - although he is fg at Roosters Bunnies get extra dollars to spend on their cap. Nothing will be perfect or universally fair but if te development of juniors is incentivised the game as a whole will benefit

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see an issue with their claims of developing talent anyway. Katoa is 17 I think?
So how much credit do Penrith want to take for his talent? Just being in your catchment area shouldn’t automatically mean you are the reason that player is going to be a star

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I guess Brandy is right, clubs should get some form of compensation whether it be monetary or cap dispensation for every junior a club produces. I hate that the Roosters can just buy any player on the market.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
im guessing he thought he'd stay if they play him on the wing or something?

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brandy whinging? I'd love to say I'm suprised but I'm not. Must be absolutely intolerable to live with if he's like this all the time.

Had the pick of a huge juniors intake for some time now, so they can hardly complain.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hello Alexander, wakey, wakey, you guys farked up! Firstly by not signing him for 2023 (+ 2024) and then secondly by not organising to loan him out to another club for the 2023 season. Like Melbourne did with Grant, ties him to you and at the same time gives him an opportunity to develop. Cheap insurance policy if Cleary or Lulu don't stick around or get a career ending injury. Don't blame your fark ups on "the system", you know full well what you needed to do and you didn't do it, point the finger at the guy in the mirror he's the one who deserves to cop shit over losing a player that you should have kept. I thought you might have learnt from the Burton loss, I guess not.

Always a Bulldog

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The NRL should bring in a transfer system. Penrith should get compensated for losing a player they produced.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Young Katoa is a gun in the juniors I know for a fact there 20s where looking forward to getting him up to play. And he was being chased hard by rugby schools. Doesn’t mean he will transfer that to senior football, but at the moment he is doing well.
Brandy based of what he said must payed the cowboys for kikau as he played 20s up there. There are lots of other juniors the riff have utilised and stars. It is just business. Admittedly no one likes to loose a talent. But it’s in every aspect of life like business etc

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We all sooked when we lost Myles, O'Mealey, Mason, SBW, Thurston, etc.

I don't blame him but can't see the NRL really being able to do something that makes sense.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All they do is whinge. Yes it sucks to lose juniors but that's what happens when two of your best juniors are the Origin halves and all of your other halves have no path to FG...

They're a victim of their own success and cap problems due to having to upgrade everyone. They win the comp and have a stacked roster, yet they still don't understand that they can't keep everyone.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have thought for a long while that clubs who have a player in their junior system should have a portion of their wage cap free. It'd be ample reward for developing players if you had a decent edge under the cap to retain them or if you could offer more to bring them back to your club if their pathway was blocked when they were NRL ready.

It's hard not to think the current system rewards cap cheating clubs who don't bother spending much to ensure the competition has a high standard of talent overall.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All they do is whinge. Yes it sucks to lose juniors but that's what happens when two of your best juniors are the Origin halves and all of your other halves have no path to FG...

They're a victim of their own success and cap problems due to having to upgrade everyone. They win the comp and have a stacked roster, yet they still don't understand that they can't keep everyone.
U reckon they'll promote Katoa to centre just to spite the dolphins?

Oh wait a min i knew that sounded familiar